Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Where do you look when you squat? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4620)

big_swede 11-06-2010 04:56 PM

Where do you look when you squat?

Ripptoe says you should look on a spot on the floor 5-6 feet infront of you while squatting, to initiate hipdrive.

Do you do it this way?

BendtheBar 11-06-2010 05:03 PM

I tried Rippetoe's way and it tends to make me lean forward. I didn't care for it. I look slightly lower than horizon.

big_swede 11-06-2010 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 91617)
I tried Rippetoe's way and it tends to make me lean forward. I didn't care for it. I look slightly lower than horizon.

I agree, i dont think his way fits everyone.

CoopDawg 11-06-2010 05:20 PM

same here btb, some times i look alittle lower and watch my quads activate as i drive out the hole

glwanabe 11-06-2010 05:26 PM

In motorcycle riding there is an expression. You go where your looking. So I tend to look up and push myself out of the hole.

I understand what Ripp is saying about the hip drive first. So long as your concentrating and not going heavier than your ready for you should stay in control of the weight. I think I would tend to fall forward if I started looking at the floor.

jwood 11-06-2010 05:45 PM

I look straight ahead pretty much and maybe slightly down. I more focus on driving my traps into the bar, so I am not exactly sure where I look.

big_swede 11-06-2010 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glwanabe (Post 91624)
In motorcycle riding there is an expression. You go where your looking. So I tend to look up and push myself out of the hole.

I understand what Ripp is saying about the hip drive first. So long as your concentrating and not going heavier than your ready for you should stay in control of the weight. I think I would tend to fall forward if I started looking at the floor.

Agreed.

big valsalva 12-07-2010 09:26 PM

I think I perform better if I'm looking up. I try to imagine myself as a diver coming out of the water. The urgency to "get to the surface" in order to catch my breath really helps me explode out of the hole.

The squat rack at the Y faces a mirror, so its hard to get a focal point several feet on the floor in front of me. That said, one time there was a short-shorted/half-shirted early twentysomething brunet babe on the decline bench right behind me. Perfect view in the mirror. I looked at that during my 20 rep set at 225. No kidding. Haven't seen her there since.

BigFiveFive 12-07-2010 09:40 PM

UP

Trevor Lane 12-07-2010 09:50 PM

Forward, but slightly up. I try to watch myself in the mirror. I tried looking down and nearly fell over with about 500 lbs so I will never do that again.