Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Single Ply bench Shirts (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4617)

BendtheBar 11-06-2010 09:04 AM

Single Ply bench Shirts

What's the most you guys think could be added from a single ply bench shirt?

I saw an article at Critical Bench where a guy reviewed a shirt and said he got 200-225 out of a single ply. I didn't think that was possible, but I am naive on gear, so I wanted to ask.

(This isn't for me - I will never own one. I'm simply curious.)

dmaipa 11-06-2010 09:12 AM

really 200?! maybe i didn't know what i was doing beacuse i was just trying out the shirt but the most i got out was like 75 lbs. could have been a form thing as well tho

Bodybygamma 11-06-2010 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 91543)
What's the most you guys think could be added from a single ply bench shirt?

I saw an article at Critical Bench where a guy reviewed a shirt and said he got 200-225 out of a single ply. I didn't think that was possible, but I am naive on gear, so I wanted to ask.

(This isn't for me - I will never own one. I'm simply curious.)

It is possible to get 200lbs but very very uncommon. If you look at the guys from SuperTraining, Mark Bell and Juan Laija get good results from single ply, super tight closed back shirts,super tweaked out and JACKED up, but they are elite more or less lifters with lots of years, and experience working with bench shirts.

I use a hand me down single ply Metal bench shirt that has had the back cut, and the most I have partially benched about 4inched above my chest is around 365-385. I barely and rarely use it or have time to use it, so its not like you magically get any weight out of it lol.

Also too some guys have so many injuries that their raw #'s drastically suck compared to their geared lifts, that could explain it too, but like I said you can't just put on a shirt and get lbs out of it. You need to work the living hell out of it for awhile first.

gaspers04 11-06-2010 10:41 AM

Well said BBG. For me around a 100 lbs so far.

BendtheBar 11-06-2010 10:56 AM

Here's the article if anyone's interested. The guy is definitely a seasoned vet.

Review of the Single Ply APEX Bench Press Shirt From APT Pro Gear by Jared Bachmeier

...and the quote. Sorry if I have misunderstood the author in any way:

Quote:

I haven't trained much raw work lately in the past 6 months. So I know my raw bench is down right now, and I just got 200-225 pounds out of a single ply shirt my second workout in it. Very impressive.

BendtheBar 11-06-2010 11:06 AM

Do you feel a national bench press record holder who lifted with a single ply for years could possibly get more than 100 pounds out of the right single ply?

Let's say the lifter weighs less than 170-180.

gaspers04 11-06-2010 11:23 AM

I think it would be possible, like I said previously, I pushed over one hundred more than my raw max the first time that I put on a shirt. For me there are many different variables, Im new to using gear (less then 2 months), I train alone with all my raw lifts (no partner and the mental factor) and my geared training once a week is with training partners that are well experienced competitive lifters (to push me through my mental sticking points). I am by no means an expert and I only speak through my personal experience.

BendtheBar 11-06-2010 02:15 PM

Thanks gaspers

SWells_TheMachine 02-07-2011 02:15 PM

I compete at 181 and I have gotten a tad over 100lbs out of shirt. We have a guy who gets 200+ out of a single ply at 220 as well.

ricka182 02-07-2011 08:04 PM

I don't get it. Do these actually help increase raw lift #s with practice? Or is this a competition type thing?..