Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #11
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Mon & Thur

Squat
Bench
Barbell Rows or Pull Ups
Abs

Tue & Fri

Deads
Overhead Press
Barbell Curls
Calves
like this aswell thanks for the replies bros
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Why are you switching again in a month Coop? That's a bad habit to get into. You will be using the same exercises for the most part, so switching really doesn't do much.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #13
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

how about i just switch 5/3/1 to 4 days a week, i think the only reason i wanted to switch is cause i hate not hittin the gym often lol sso how about we end thread i stay on 5/3/1 and in a FEW months we will come back to this thread, o BTW thanks jeremy wood
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:36 AM   #14
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricka182 View Post
A four day like that is my standard fallback routine. A few exceptions though for me..

Mon & Thur = Chest/Squat
Wed = Off/Abs
Tue & Fri = SOHP/Deads

That setup has given be the best gains in recent years..
Quote:
That's a good start.

I like this as a basic template. It's simple and lets you concentrate on the big moves. I'm partial to a Reg Park style 5x5 scheme for sets and reps, but that can be allowed to go as a 5x5-8. THIS WORKS IF YOU PUT THE INTENSITY IN.

Quote:
Mon & Thur

Squat
Bench
Barbell Rows or Pull Ups
Abs

Tue & Fri

Deads
Overhead Press
Barbell Curls
Calves
Quote:
Or an A/B alternating on MWF:

A
Squats
Bench
Pull Ups or Barbell Rows (or alternate)
Calves
Abs

B
Deadlift
Overhead Press
Dips
Leg Curls
Barbell Curls

I really like a basic fullbody program, but the A/B split just gets the nod over it. The A/B split pushed hard and worked properly will give you great results.

Again I like the Reg park style 5x5 or 5x5-8 set rep scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
If you want to workout 4 days a week, I think you should stick to 5/3/1 it has been working for you until now, so why switch.

Keep things simple.
I agree with Jwood, especially the last part. A huge mistake as I see it of most people is thinking that theya re more advanced than they are. They think they are ready or need an advanced routine. THEY DO NOT!!!

THEY ARE STILL BEGINNERS!!! THIS MEANS YOU!

I am far more advanced than you are, yet was still using an A/B split up intil I was injured. Worked hard you can literally work your butt into the ground.

COOP, you need to read this thread if you have not done so.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/pow...on-thread.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopDawg View Post
how about i just switch 5/3/1 to 4 days a week, i think the only reason i wanted to switch is cause i hate not hittin the gym often lol sso how about we end thread i stay on 5/3/1 and in a FEW months we will come back to this thread, o BTW thanks jeremy wood
Realistically you only need about 3-5hrs a week in the gym to do some serious work. There is more to life than hanging out in the gym, unless you work there. If you need more time then 3-5hrs a week then your not working hard enough when your there!

Only you can do this. Nobody else can lift the weight for you. Posting here does not build muscle. At your age and with your hormorne levels you have no excuse to not work hard and build muscle. We have your pictures of now to compare with.

Less talk, and more sweat is the prescription.

As far as reccomending some supps for you. I suggest Food, and Water, maybe a good multi, and some protein powder. GO!

One last question for you Coop.

Where do you see yourself as far as ranking yourself.

Beginner, intermediate, advanced?

Last edited by glwanabe; 11-05-2010 at 07:45 AM.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #15
DMedley
Brawn
Points: 562, Level: 11 Points: 562, Level: 11 Points: 562, Level: 11
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

DMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributor

Coop if you have been looking at switching just to ward off boredom, you might want to look at something like this:

"I have a whole book on this coming out called 5/3/1 for Powerlifting," says Wendler. "The biggest modification pertains to switching around the weeks and adding some heavy singles.

In the original 5/3/1 Manual, the weeks look like this:

Week 1: 3 x 5 reps

Week 2: 3 x 3 reps

Week 3: 3 x 5, 3, and 1 rep

Week 4: Deload

In 5/3/1 for Powerlifting, I switched week 1 and week 2 around and added a few singles, so it basically looks like this:

Week 1: 3 x 3, plus a few singles

Week 2: 3 x 5 only perform requisite reps

Week 3: 3 x 5,3,1, plus a few singles

This system is superior for powerlifting as it includes the necessary heavy singles, yet by switching the weeks around and only performing requisite reps in week two, you never train heavy two weeks in a row."
Old 11-05-2010, 10:04 AM   #16
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
I like this as a basic template. It's simple and lets you concentrate on the big moves. I'm partial to a Reg Park style 5x5 scheme for sets and reps, but that can be allowed to go as a 5x5-8. THIS WORKS IF YOU PUT THE INTENSITY IN.

I really like a basic fullbody program, but the A/B split just gets the nod over it. The A/B split pushed hard and worked properly will give you great results.

Again I like the Reg park style 5x5 or 5x5-8 set rep scheme.

I agree with Jwood, especially the last part. A huge mistake as I see it of most people is thinking that theya re more advanced than they are. They think they are ready or need an advanced routine. THEY DO NOT!!!

THEY ARE STILL BEGINNERS!!! THIS MEANS YOU!

I am far more advanced than you are, yet was still using an A/B split up intil I was injured. Worked hard you can literally work your butt into the ground.

COOP, you need to read this thread if you have not done so.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/pow...on-thread.html

Realistically you only need about 3-5hrs a week in the gym to do some serious work. There is more to life than hanging out in the gym, unless you work there. If you need more time then 3-5hrs a week then your not working hard enough when your there!

Only you can do this. Nobody else can lift the weight for you. Posting here does not build muscle. At your age and with your hormorne levels you have no excuse to not work hard and build muscle. We have your pictures of now to compare with.

Less talk, and more sweat is the prescription.

As far as reccomending some supps for you. I suggest Food, and Water, maybe a good multi, and some protein powder. GO!

One last question for you Coop.

Where do you see yourself as far as ranking yourself.

Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
Thanks alot gl man u took alot of time writing all this thanks, I rank myself as an intermediate just coming off the beginner level, and dmedley i never seen that it looks good to me, and gl i already made 5/3/1 4 days a week im set and ready to go
Old 11-05-2010, 10:05 AM   #17
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMedley View Post
Coop if you have been looking at switching just to ward off boredom, you might want to look at something like this:

"I have a whole book on this coming out called 5/3/1 for Powerlifting," says Wendler. "The biggest modification pertains to switching around the weeks and adding some heavy singles.

In the original 5/3/1 Manual, the weeks look like this:

Week 1: 3 x 5 reps

Week 2: 3 x 3 reps

Week 3: 3 x 5, 3, and 1 rep

In 5/3/1 for Powerlifting, I switched week 1 and week 2 around and added a few singles, so it basically looks like this:

Week 1: 3 x 3, plus a few singles

Week 2: 3 x 5 only perform requisite reps

Week 3: 3 x 5,3,1, plus a few singles

This system is superior for powerlifting as it includes the necessary heavy singles, yet by switching the weeks around and only performing requisite reps in week two, you never train heavy two weeks in a row."
will use this for round 3 on 5/3/1
Old 11-05-2010, 01:35 PM   #18
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

Stick to 531 and get beastly strong. You shouldn't get bored throwing heavy weight around and getting stronger week by week
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #19
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaipa View Post
Stick to 531 and get beastly strong. You shouldn't get bored throwing heavy weight around and getting stronger week by week
Thats it big d!!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2010, 05:16 PM   #20
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

coop i hope you can fully understand what GL and others are tryin to tell you here. you are way over thinking things when the truth is you don't need much of a program at all. eat train and sleep is all you should be thinking right now. hit the bench one day do squats another and deads yet another. if you're fired up or just plain bored mix in some curls and skull crushers. if you go to the gym and do some heavy benching then go home and eat steak and potatoes and wash it down with some whole milk i would consider that a good day.

my point is i don't want to see your head grow before your body grows. you need to keep this as simple as possible and take advantage of your youth otherwise i sh@t you not you will look back and think you wasted your time.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote