Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast
Default Strongman Training Group

How does one go about finding a group that does strongman in their area?

I was thinking of checking this sort of stuff out, but I have no idea how to find a people that do strongman training in my area, hopefully close to home. I know we have some guys on the forum that do strongman training, and maybe you guys could give me some info about how you got started into the sport.

Thanks guys
Old 10-28-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn
Points: 4,544, Level: 42 Points: 4,544, Level: 42 Points: 4,544, Level: 42
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Supp: ON's Pro Complex Gainer
Craig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributor

I got started because I had always wanted to do strongman and I found out that a contest was taking place not even 2 miles from my house the week before and signed up in a heart beat. If I hadn't been stubborn, I could have started training with a group of guys right then and there in August of 2008 as I had numbers from quite a few people but I didn't. It wasn't until over a year later that I started doing event training with that group of people and that was very infrequent as I was still learning and we got a ton of snow that winter so I didn't get back out to train until February of this year and now it's been fairly regular though I did do a ton of contests and trained with other groups as well. Easiest thing would be to go to a local contest (check North American Strongman site) but really just checking other sites focused on Strongman in the US (Marunde-Muscle & NAS) would be good. Hell, start a thread on one and ask if there are local groups in your area. Where are you anyway? I might be able to help.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Thanks for the response craig, I have been looking through some of those websites you provided and found a good start. I could possibly go to iron sport gym to train, but I was looking for more of a small group that could teach me and help me out.

I am located about an 30 minutes north of Philadelphia, and very close to Trenton, NJ.

Thanks for your help Craig, I appreciate the input. I am very interested in strongman, just not sure how to get into it without buying my own equipment.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

Craig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributor

I checked with some friends and there is a group that trains at Ironsport Gym on Saturdays.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

thanks craig, I am going to keep searching for a more local group. But if not, I may have to head down to iron sport for a workout.

I have been looking at the websites you provided and there is a lot of great information, thank you!
Old 10-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
thanks craig, I am going to keep searching for a more local group. But if not, I may have to head down to iron sport for a workout.

I have been looking at the websites you provided and there is a lot of great information, thank you!
Ok, the Iron Sport group would be a good one. I routinely drive an hour one way for training once a week.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

You could also contact the NJ State Chairman for NAS about local groups.

Mike Beyers
14 Lexington Rd
Bordentown, NJ 08505
Phone: 609-424-0959 (Home); 609-203-5316 (cell)
Email: Mjsparks1@verizon.net
Old 10-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

thanks craig, I think I will contact him. He actually lives only about 20 minutes from my house. I am going to get an email out to him soon, and see what he says.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #9
Marc
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Marc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributor

I found the group of strongmen and powerlifters I train with by contacting local training facilities. I finally got in touch with a gym about a half hour away who then hooked me up with a guy in my town, who knew the guy who owns the gym I now go to. They are out there, just network and surely you will find a good group with a nice setup. Especially being so close to a large city like you are.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #10
BigTallOx
NAS Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 4,870, Level: 44 Points: 4,870, Level: 44 Points: 4,870, Level: 44
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

BigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
How does one go about finding a group that does strongman in their area?
Find out who the NAS state chairman is and ask if they know any groups.

330 farmers 40 feet 12 seconds
545 deadlift double overhand no straps
700 pound tire, 50 feet, 30 seconds

www.bigtallox.com

"BIG sums this man up. He hasn't scratched his potential yet. With some work he will be one of the top HW masters in the US if he keeps at it." - Jay Hagadorn
BigTallOx is offline   Reply With Quote