Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
DMedley
Brawn
Points: 562, Level: 11 Points: 562, Level: 11 Points: 562, Level: 11
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

DMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributor
Default Full Meet Strategy Question

I have been looking down the road a ways and am interested in doing a powerlifting meet. The closest meet too me and the one I could get to is conducted by the American Powerlifting Association. This is a full meet only.

I have suffered from muscle spasms of the central back for over 30 years. These seem to activated any time and any place without warning when I do squats with a weight between 150 and 200+ pounds. In day to day training this does not present a huge problem, I have learned to work squats in spite of it.

I would normally just do a push pull or bench only meet, but alas the full meet only criteria.

Question: Since I would have to do squats - what strategy would you recommend? I have thought about just doing an opening lift of 125 or 135 pounds to get on the board and then take a bi on the next two squat lifts. Opinions?

Last edited by DMedley; 10-07-2010 at 08:25 PM.
DMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2010, 02:41 AM   #2
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMedley View Post
I have been looking down the road a ways and am interested in doing a powerlifting meet. The closest meet too me and the one I could get to is conducted by the American Powerlifting Association. This is a full meet only.

I have suffered from muscle spasms of the central back for over 30 years. These seem to activated any time and any place without warning when I do squats with a weight between 150 and 200+ pounds. In day to day training this does not present a huge problem, I have learned to work squats in spite of it.

I would normally just do a push pull or bench only meet, but alas the full meet only criteria.

Question: Since I would have to do squats - what strategy would you recommend? I have thought about just doing an opening lift of 125 or 135 pounds to get on the board and then take a bi on the next two squat lifts. Opinions?
Do a very light and safe opener, even if its just the bar, not to bomb out. And then just see how you feel, if you think it will act up don't chance a second attempt. If your feeling good stick to what you know safe and doable. Just inform all the spotters and judges so they are aware of your condition.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
DMedley
Brawn
Points: 562, Level: 11 Points: 562, Level: 11 Points: 562, Level: 11

DMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
Do a very light and safe opener, even if its just the bar, not to bomb out. And then just see how you feel, if you think it will act up don't chance a second attempt. If your feeling good stick to what you know safe and doable. Just inform all the spotters and judges so they are aware of your condition.
That confirms what I was thinking but wanted to make sure it is acceptable. Thanks for the answer.