Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Just a thought (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4338)

jwood 09-25-2010 11:17 AM

Just a thought

As many of you guys have probably seen from my log, my bench is stuck. It is in a serious plateau, so last night I looked through my old log to try to find a pattern. Here is what I found, when my bench really started to move up, I was doing squats in the morning.

So my workout looked like this:
Friday A.M.: ATG Squats
Friday P.M.: ME Bench

I was wondering if you guys think that squatting in the morning was actually helping my bench. I know a lot of people say that there is a crazy hormonal response when you squat, so I thought maybe this would help my bench. I know guys that do squats before certain workout and swear that this helps them. I was thinking of doing an experiment and just squatting very light in the morning on fridays.

Do you guys think there is any legitimacy behind the theory that squatting on the same day as benching can actually help make gains on the bench press??

nighttrain 09-25-2010 11:40 AM

rumor has it that Squats increase test enormously.... i say go for it...

jwood 09-25-2010 11:44 AM

If I do this, I am going to keep the volume very low, I am talking singles of everything and work up to a semi-heavy weight and stop. This could also be a good way to stretch out my legs I think.

It seems like a good theory.

big_swede 09-25-2010 12:16 PM

Sounds reasonably, before i did a single set of 20 rep squat before benching, really stabilized the bench form and strength from from set 1, because of the expanding of the chest from breathing during the squats, i think. Felt good anyway, hormone release might have something to do with it too but never thought about it. I say go for it.

CoopDawg 09-25-2010 01:28 PM

I have noticed this also J although i did not do squats and bench on the same day

dmaipa 09-25-2010 02:26 PM

Squatting heavy becomes really hard on your CNS, but if you don't go all out and take it to total failure it will actually heighten you CNS causing you to have a sense of like an extra charge that will actually last for several hours..so i've heard :)

BendtheBar 09-25-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmaipa (Post 83797)
Squatting heavy becomes really hard on your CNS, but if you don't go all out and take it to total failure it will actually heighten you CNS causing you to have a sense of like an extra charge that will actually last for several hours..so i've heard :)

^ I was just going to bring up the CNS. I don't have any evidence, but I was wondering if morning squats, done correctly, would stimulate your CNS making it easier to bench later in the day.

kman025 09-25-2010 05:40 PM

sounds very resonable

dmaipa 09-25-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 83808)
^ I was just going to bring up the CNS. I don't have any evidence, but I was wondering if morning squats, done correctly, would stimulate your CNS making it easier to bench later in the day.

well there has been studies of guys doing max squats then couple hours later go back and do vertical jump test. they found that their vertical jump actually increased. CNS is a very powerful thing..once you activate it and have CNS in what i like the call "in an arousal state" your body is prime for performance.

CallmeKing 09-25-2010 06:28 PM

Maybe it's because most people don't usually warm up their legs before benching but it's big stabilizer on the bench. No clue just spewing ideas