Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
Jude
Brawn
Points: 6,706, Level: 53 Points: 6,706, Level: 53 Points: 6,706, Level: 53
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Jude has made some good postsJude has made some good postsJude has made some good postsJude has made some good postsJude has made some good postsJude has made some good postsJude has made some good postsJude has made some good postsJude has made some good posts
Default The Bear

I am posting this question here. I hope it is in the correct spot. I am not really a bodybuilder more of a strength trainer who wants to lift like a powerlifter but keep the belly down.
With that said I have a hard time with LSD cardio. I tend to skip it after a couple of weeks of consistensy. I just recently saw a video of folk doing "The Bear". I want to give it a try.

My question to the forum is, How long do you guys do the bear? 20 minutes like a HIIT session? Do you keep the movement going the entire 20 minutes? I would think that would be pretty hard to do. Any examples from your personal experience would be appreciated. Thanks.
Jude is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
Achilles
Brawn
Points: 568, Level: 11 Points: 568, Level: 11 Points: 568, Level: 11
Activity: 56% Activity: 56% Activity: 56%

Achilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good posts

Isnt that a barbell complex?

Imo if you keep your calories in control and maybe add some GPP you should be fine.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
Jude
Brawn

Jude has made some good postsJude has made some good postsJude has made some good postsJude has made some good postsJude has made some good postsJude has made some good postsJude has made some good postsJude has made some good postsJude has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Isnt that a barbell complex?

Imo if you keep your calories in control and maybe add some GPP you should be fine.
Would a barbell complex be considered in the category of GPP?
Old 09-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

I would consider the bear as GPP as long as you keep the weights light. In the past I have done sets of 6 with the bear and it is pretty tough. Just keep the rest to a minimum, I would say 30-60 seconds. Try to decrease the rest periods with every session you do.

One technique that I enjoyed with the bear was to count the sets I did in 20 minutes. And then try to beat that number the next time I did the bear. Good way to progress.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
Jude
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
I would consider the bear as GPP as long as you keep the weights light. In the past I have done sets of 6 with the bear and it is pretty tough. Just keep the rest to a minimum, I would say 30-60 seconds. Try to decrease the rest periods with every session you do.

One technique that I enjoyed with the bear was to count the sets I did in 20 minutes. And then try to beat that number the next time I did the bear. Good way to progress.
Good tips. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

just make sure the weight is light..the bear can take alot out of you if you try to go hard

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
MMA Max
Max Brawn
Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

MMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributor

Like they are saying here I use it with my monday work to suppliment..My monday's are

1) Flat BB - To max singles - Hit Chest and Tris
2) Incline Deep Push Ups - Upper Chest and Tris
3) The Bear Complex - Front Legs, Back Legs, Shoulders and Tris
4) Stiff Leg Dead Lifts - Legs/Hamstrings
5) Standing Calf Raise - Calves

Right now we are with 100lbs on the bar for the bear in 5x5 and that really is taxing right now..

" Deutscher Stolz weltweit "

Violence. It may not be the answer, But it sure cuts down on the questions!

MMA Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

I sometimes use it to finish off the week... I'm making a wire spool into a log for strongman training and that's probably one thing I'll do with it is the bear.
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #9
MMA Max
Max Brawn
Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

MMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributor

Hopefully we will shoot up in weight next week..However, 100lbs is blowing me up! lol..I want to try the super bear..But my Over head squats suck..Terrible and I mean terrible form

" Deutscher Stolz weltweit "

Violence. It may not be the answer, But it sure cuts down on the questions!

MMA Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #10
Marc
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Marc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributor

I know this is off topic but you could Throw in some light prowler sprints as well for time. Best piece of equipment ever invented second only to the barbell itself.