Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   The Bear (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4306)

Jude 09-21-2010 02:12 PM

The Bear

I am posting this question here. I hope it is in the correct spot. I am not really a bodybuilder more of a strength trainer who wants to lift like a powerlifter but keep the belly down.
With that said I have a hard time with LSD cardio. I tend to skip it after a couple of weeks of consistensy. I just recently saw a video of folk doing "The Bear". I want to give it a try.

My question to the forum is, How long do you guys do the bear? 20 minutes like a HIIT session? Do you keep the movement going the entire 20 minutes? I would think that would be pretty hard to do. Any examples from your personal experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

Achilles 09-21-2010 02:15 PM

Isnt that a barbell complex?

Imo if you keep your calories in control and maybe add some GPP you should be fine.

Jude 09-21-2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Achilles (Post 83057)
Isnt that a barbell complex?

Imo if you keep your calories in control and maybe add some GPP you should be fine.

Would a barbell complex be considered in the category of GPP?

jwood 09-21-2010 02:53 PM

I would consider the bear as GPP as long as you keep the weights light. In the past I have done sets of 6 with the bear and it is pretty tough. Just keep the rest to a minimum, I would say 30-60 seconds. Try to decrease the rest periods with every session you do.

One technique that I enjoyed with the bear was to count the sets I did in 20 minutes. And then try to beat that number the next time I did the bear. Good way to progress.

Jude 09-21-2010 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwood (Post 83072)
I would consider the bear as GPP as long as you keep the weights light. In the past I have done sets of 6 with the bear and it is pretty tough. Just keep the rest to a minimum, I would say 30-60 seconds. Try to decrease the rest periods with every session you do.

One technique that I enjoyed with the bear was to count the sets I did in 20 minutes. And then try to beat that number the next time I did the bear. Good way to progress.

Good tips. Thanks.

dmaipa 09-21-2010 03:57 PM

just make sure the weight is light..the bear can take alot out of you if you try to go hard

MMA Max 09-22-2010 01:24 PM

Like they are saying here :march: I use it with my monday work to suppliment..My monday's are

1) Flat BB - To max singles - Hit Chest and Tris
2) Incline Deep Push Ups - Upper Chest and Tris
3) The Bear Complex - Front Legs, Back Legs, Shoulders and Tris
4) Stiff Leg Dead Lifts - Legs/Hamstrings
5) Standing Calf Raise - Calves

Right now we are with 100lbs on the bar for the bear in 5x5 and that really is taxing right now..

Trevor Lane 09-22-2010 01:31 PM

I sometimes use it to finish off the week... I'm making a wire spool into a log for strongman training and that's probably one thing I'll do with it is the bear.

MMA Max 09-22-2010 01:33 PM

Hopefully we will shoot up in weight next week..However, 100lbs is blowing me up! lol..I want to try the super bear..But my Over head squats suck..Terrible and I mean terrible form

Marc 09-22-2010 03:29 PM

I know this is off topic but you could Throw in some light prowler sprints as well for time. Best piece of equipment ever invented second only to the barbell itself.