Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Where to go from here? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4022)

sneezingstardust 08-16-2010 09:57 PM

Where to go from here?

So I'm a little confused.

Running Madcows has been great, but lately I've been finding myself stalling in certain areas. I've already had to reset my squat 2x (maybe 3), and my bench has been reset at least 2-3x as well. I'm just finding that the way I'm progressing is a little shaky...I know that Starr mentioned if you had to reset your weights more than 2-3x you need to find a new program, and I just dunno what I should be doing.

I've been running the program for 17 weeks now (almost 18). What do you guys suggest I do? Should I just wait it out and keep going with it, or switch to something else?

kman025 08-16-2010 10:01 PM

switch

strkout35 08-16-2010 11:32 PM

what are your goals right now? are you trying to get your lifts up or focus on doing another show?

Marc 08-16-2010 11:52 PM

My not so expert opinion would say 18 weeks, holy cow switch. But that may just be because I switch it up every 4 weeks. I would say if it isn't working as well anymore at week 18, then why would it suddenly work great at week 19, or 22? Switch it up!

sneezingstardust 08-17-2010 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strkout35 (Post 75958)
what are your goals right now? are you trying to get your lifts up or focus on doing another show?

Well, obviously I'm trying to get my lifts up :)

Just want to make the most of my time, that's all!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc (Post 75960)
My not so expert opinion would say 18 weeks, holy cow switch. But that may just be because I switch it up every 4 weeks. I would say if it isn't working as well anymore at week 18, then why would it suddenly work great at week 19, or 22? Switch it up!

Well I keep hearing you're supposed to stick to a program for a couple months to really reap benefits from it, but I dunno.

glwanabe 08-17-2010 07:42 AM

Variations on a theme.

There are a few ways to handle this issue. You could not change the program movements, and instead work in more reps per set. More reps means more strength. This may mean that you actually may need to lower your weights a bit to make this run, just as you have already done. This works a lot of the time.

Since you have reset, I might would try a slightly different approach.

Take your bench movement as the goal to improve.

Work around the movement instead of direct hits. Work overhead pressing the hardest. Move close grip in as your main bench movement. Do lots of medium grip chins, and do pushups. This will give you a chance to strengthen the links before you come back to the main chain.

BendtheBar 08-17-2010 08:08 AM

I would find a new program, especially if you need to routinely reset weights. Any thoughts on 5/3/1?

IronManlet 08-17-2010 08:32 AM

Chaos and Pain.

DMedley 08-17-2010 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 75984)
I would find a new program, especially if you need to routinely reset weights. Any thoughts on 5/3/1?

This gets my vote:

cooltom 08-17-2010 09:59 AM

You could probably run more cycles before resetting on 531, but just to throw this out there:

It's not uncommon to have to reset your training maxes and if you had to do it on 5x5 you will have to do it again on 531. I don't really think it matters what program you follow as long as you aim for progression (more reps or more weight or both) and train your weaknesses. The latter is probably what you need to think about more with respect to your assistance work.

Finally, have you gained weight on the program? Are your figure competition goals keeping you from eating enough to progress on a powerlifting program? You might want to increase calories and take your bodyweight up 5-10 pounds, or give it the freedom to do so, in order to continue progressing.