Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
andys_trim
Max Brawn
Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift!
Fav Supp: Any I can afford.
andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor
Default tentative 5/3/1 program

The Triumvirate:

Wave A. Warmup, 75% x 5, 80% x 5, 85% x 5

Wave B. Warmup, 80% x 3, 85% x 3, 90% x 3

Wave C. Warmup, 75% x 5, 85% x 3, 95% x 1

Wave D. Deload wave – 60% x 5, 65% x 5, 70% x 5

Chest:
Bench 75% X 5 80% X 5 85% X 5
Incline: 10reps X 5sets @ 50%
Decline: 5 X 10 @ 50

Squat:
Squat 75% X 5 80% X 5 85% X 5
SLDL 10 X 5 @ 50
Leg Press 10 X 5 @ 50

OHP:
DB OHP 75% X 5 80% X 5 85% X 5
Military Press 10 X 5 @ 50
Rear Flyes 10 X 5 @ 50

Deadlift
Deads 75% X 5 80% X 5 85% X 5
Pull Ups 10 X 5 @ 50
Bent Over Rows 10 X 5 @ 50

This is what I'm thinking so far. Tell me what you think. The percentages are for Wave A, of course. Those will change with each wave. I want suggestions.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
andys_trim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

i dont really consider myself experienced enough with the program to try to structure your program but heres what i'll say:

for your first cycle of 5/3/1 go light on the assistance work. the program is based on the main lift and the assistance work is there to help assist those lifts and for a little extra work so start easy and gradually build up as the cycles go on so you can get a feel for how much volume your body needs and how much you can do without affecting the progression of your main lifts.

also are you lifting 3 or 4x a week?

and whats the reasoning behind doing DB Shoulder Press instead of standing barbell press? i'd definitely recommend using standing barbell press for your main lift. you can use DB presses for assistance if you'd like.

the more experienced guys will be able to help you more but good luck! i'll be following your log for sure

_________Goals:__
Squat:______275
Deadlift:_____315
Bench:______185
Press:_______135

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Not to familiar with 5/3/1, are waves a cycle for a complete body w/o throughout the week?

Good luck and don't miss any, no sympathy...lol

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
andys_trim
Max Brawn

andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by strkout35 View Post
i dont really consider myself experienced enough with the program to try to structure your program but heres what i'll say:

for your first cycle of 5/3/1 go light on the assistance work. the program is based on the main lift and the assistance work is there to help assist those lifts and for a little extra work so start easy and gradually build up as the cycles go on so you can get a feel for how much volume your body needs and how much you can do without affecting the progression of your main lifts.

also are you lifting 3 or 4x a week?

and whats the reasoning behind doing DB Shoulder Press instead of standing barbell press? i'd definitely recommend using standing barbell press for your main lift. you can use DB presses for assistance if you'd like.

the more experienced guys will be able to help you more but good luck! i'll be following your log for sure

I didn't know which one would work better. I'll switch it to military press.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
Old 08-16-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys_trim View Post
I didn't know which one would work better. I'll switch it to military press.
i like them better and wendler uses standing OH press so i'd stick with that

_________Goals:__
Squat:______275
Deadlift:_____315
Bench:______185
Press:_______135

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
andys_trim
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspers04 View Post
Not to familiar with 5/3/1, are waves a cycle for a complete body w/o throughout the week?

Good luck and don't miss any, no sympathy...lol
A wave = 4 weeks

each week you do the 4 workoutd

Old 08-16-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
andys_trim
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by strkout35 View Post
i like them better and wendler uses standing OH press so i'd stick with that
I never knew that. I like both exercises a lot.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #8
cooltom
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

cooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributor

I agree with SO that you should do Military Presses with a barbell instead of DB Presses for your primary overhead pressing movement.

Also, ditch the decline press on your bench day, which brings me to my next bit of advice. Choose assistance work based on your weaknesses. Train those weaknesses hard and when you develop other weaknesses train those really hard. I suggest following Wendler's script at the beginning, either his Boring but Big routine or his suggested assistance work and then just letting the program evolve.

I started 531 last year and have learned so much from it. I essentially still have Wendler's programming as my template but my training has really taken its own form as I have learned more about myself and about powerlifting.

Finally, is your primary goal strength gains in the long or short term? Are you planning on doing this for a couple of months then switching to bodybuilding or do you have a PL meet you are preparing for?

Follow my progress: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-powerful.html
cooltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:25 PM   #9
andys_trim
Max Brawn

I'm planning to do the strength program for a while. I have a fascination with becoming really strong over looking like a bodybuilder.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #10
cooltom
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

cooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys_trim View Post
I'm planning to do the strength program for a while. I have a fascination with becoming really strong over looking like a bodybuilder.
Awesome. 531 is an excellent choice towards that goal. Just tailor assistance to your weaknesses and you will be a bull in no time.

Follow my progress: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-powerful.html
cooltom is offline   Reply With Quote