Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   tentative 5/3/1 program (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4020)

andys_trim 08-16-2010 03:58 PM

tentative 5/3/1 program
 
The Triumvirate:

Wave A. Warmup, 75% x 5, 80% x 5, 85% x 5

Wave B. Warmup, 80% x 3, 85% x 3, 90% x 3

Wave C. Warmup, 75% x 5, 85% x 3, 95% x 1

Wave D. Deload wave 60% x 5, 65% x 5, 70% x 5

Chest:
Bench 75% X 5 80% X 5 85% X 5
Incline: 10reps X 5sets @ 50%
Decline: 5 X 10 @ 50

Squat:
Squat 75% X 5 80% X 5 85% X 5
SLDL 10 X 5 @ 50
Leg Press 10 X 5 @ 50

OHP:
DB OHP 75% X 5 80% X 5 85% X 5
Military Press 10 X 5 @ 50
Rear Flyes 10 X 5 @ 50

Deadlift
Deads 75% X 5 80% X 5 85% X 5
Pull Ups 10 X 5 @ 50
Bent Over Rows 10 X 5 @ 50


This is what I'm thinking so far. Tell me what you think. The percentages are for Wave A, of course. Those will change with each wave. I want suggestions.

strkout35 08-16-2010 04:04 PM

i dont really consider myself experienced enough with the program to try to structure your program but heres what i'll say:

for your first cycle of 5/3/1 go light on the assistance work. the program is based on the main lift and the assistance work is there to help assist those lifts and for a little extra work so start easy and gradually build up as the cycles go on so you can get a feel for how much volume your body needs and how much you can do without affecting the progression of your main lifts.

also are you lifting 3 or 4x a week?

and whats the reasoning behind doing DB Shoulder Press instead of standing barbell press? i'd definitely recommend using standing barbell press for your main lift. you can use DB presses for assistance if you'd like.


the more experienced guys will be able to help you more but good luck! i'll be following your log for sure

gaspers04 08-16-2010 04:10 PM

Not to familiar with 5/3/1, are waves a cycle for a complete body w/o throughout the week?

Good luck and don't miss any, no sympathy...lol

andys_trim 08-16-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strkout35 (Post 75854)
i dont really consider myself experienced enough with the program to try to structure your program but heres what i'll say:

for your first cycle of 5/3/1 go light on the assistance work. the program is based on the main lift and the assistance work is there to help assist those lifts and for a little extra work so start easy and gradually build up as the cycles go on so you can get a feel for how much volume your body needs and how much you can do without affecting the progression of your main lifts.

also are you lifting 3 or 4x a week?

and whats the reasoning behind doing DB Shoulder Press instead of standing barbell press? i'd definitely recommend using standing barbell press for your main lift. you can use DB presses for assistance if you'd like.


the more experienced guys will be able to help you more but good luck! i'll be following your log for sure


I didn't know which one would work better. I'll switch it to military press.

strkout35 08-16-2010 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andys_trim (Post 75863)
I didn't know which one would work better. I'll switch it to military press.

i like them better and wendler uses standing OH press so i'd stick with that

andys_trim 08-16-2010 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaspers04 (Post 75858)
Not to familiar with 5/3/1, are waves a cycle for a complete body w/o throughout the week?

Good luck and don't miss any, no sympathy...lol

A wave = 4 weeks

each week you do the 4 workoutd

andys_trim 08-16-2010 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strkout35 (Post 75865)
i like them better and wendler uses standing OH press so i'd stick with that

I never knew that. I like both exercises a lot.

cooltom 08-18-2010 09:00 PM

I agree with SO that you should do Military Presses with a barbell instead of DB Presses for your primary overhead pressing movement.

Also, ditch the decline press on your bench day, which brings me to my next bit of advice. Choose assistance work based on your weaknesses. Train those weaknesses hard and when you develop other weaknesses train those really hard. I suggest following Wendler's script at the beginning, either his Boring but Big routine or his suggested assistance work and then just letting the program evolve.

I started 531 last year and have learned so much from it. I essentially still have Wendler's programming as my template but my training has really taken its own form as I have learned more about myself and about powerlifting.

Finally, is your primary goal strength gains in the long or short term? Are you planning on doing this for a couple of months then switching to bodybuilding or do you have a PL meet you are preparing for?

andys_trim 08-18-2010 10:25 PM

I'm planning to do the strength program for a while. I have a fascination with becoming really strong over looking like a bodybuilder.

cooltom 08-18-2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andys_trim (Post 76284)
I'm planning to do the strength program for a while. I have a fascination with becoming really strong over looking like a bodybuilder.

Awesome. 531 is an excellent choice towards that goal. Just tailor assistance to your weaknesses and you will be a bull in no time.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.