Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #11
andys_trim
Max Brawn
Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift!
Fav Supp: Any I can afford.
andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

Thanks a lot BTB. Now I need to decipher it.

Squat: 5 x 10 x 50% is this 5 sets of 10 at 50% 1RM

Boring But Big. Main lift, the main lift again @ 5x10 (50% 1RM), and another accessory exercise for 5 sets. Is this 5 sets of your main exercise, then another 5 sets of 10 at 50%?

Wave A. Warmup, 75% x 5, 80% x 5, 85% x 5 is this 85% 1RM for 5 sets?

Does wave = week?

Sorry for all of the questions. This is interesting stuff.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
andys_trim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2010, 10:55 PM   #12
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

How much do you weigh/what's your height/body fat %? What weight class are you planning to compete in? Are you still making beginner gains or are you more advanced (sorry, not sure about that one)? Have you ever trained with heavy poundages for singles, doubles, and triples before? (you will be doing that later) What kind of programs have you run in the past?

You can use me as comparison for an average teen, if you like: 315 Squat/205 Bench/415 Deadlift (I have longer arms and a strong back = better Deadlift than Bench.) I weigh 152lbs @ 5'7".

And I won't be anything special in a PLing meet, you can bet your ass. haha
IronManlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #13
CallmeKing
Max Brawn
Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

CallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributor

It really depends you can look for past meets in your area and see the results and that will probably be the best predictor of what your total would need to be to place well.

If you want to compete there's nothing wrong with getting your foot in the door early. Just go in there with a good attitude and think you're the strongest and you will be.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
CallmeKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:10 PM   #14
andys_trim
Max Brawn

andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManlet View Post
How much do you weigh/what's your height/body fat %? What weight class are you planning to compete in? Are you still making beginner gains or are you more advanced (sorry, not sure about that one)? Have you ever trained with heavy poundages for singles, doubles, and triples before? (you will be doing that later) What kind of programs have you run in the past?

You can use me as comparison for an average teen, if you like: 315 Squat/205 Bench/415 Deadlift (I have longer arms and a strong back = better Deadlift than Bench.) I weigh 152lbs @ 5'7".

And I won't be anything special in a PLing meet, you can bet your ass. haha
Last time I checked I am 185 at about 15% BF. I trained for 2 years for baseball, but I wasn't serious. I lifted to lose weight starting last October. I started lifting heavy about 4 months ago. So I think I may be past newbie gains. The only real program I have ever run is Tri-Phase which I am about to start the 3rd phase in now. After I finish I will do a 1RM for Squat, Deads, and Bench to really see where I am.

My PRs for my 3 lifts are:

225 X 2 for bench
305 X 5 for squats (but I wasn't past parallel, this is what I need to work on most)
365 X 2 for deads

Like I said earlier I never really did squats or deads before I started lifting heavy 4 months ago. So I know I have to work on those. Also, I'm 5'9.

I don't plan on competing until I reach my goals that I listed a few posts ago.

Bench: 250
Deads: 450
Squats: 350

Those are the minimum.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
Old 08-12-2010, 11:15 PM   #15
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys_trim View Post
Thanks a lot BTB. Now I need to decipher it.

Squat: 5 x 10 x 50% is this 5 sets of 10 at 50% 1RM yes

Boring But Big. Main lift, the main lift again @ 5x10 (50% 1RM), and another accessory exercise for 5 sets. Is this 5 sets of your main exercise, then another 5 sets of 10 at 50%?
yes so it would be bench press 5/3/1 style, then bench 5 sets of 10 at 50% your training max then 5x10 of an assistance exercise such as one arm DB Row 5x10

Wave A. Warmup, 75% x 5, 80% x 5, 85% x 5 is this 85% 1RM for 5 sets?
no, this is three sets. you warm up, do 75% your training max for 5 reps, then 80% for 5 reps, then 85% of your training max for as many sets as possible. youre last set is taken near failure so you push out as many reps as possible.

Does wave = week?
no wave equals one full cycle of 5/3/1 so it is 4 weeks per wave

Sorry for all of the questions. This is interesting stuff.
i wrote the answers in red i'm gonna def watch this log once (if) you start.

i use the term "training max" because when using this program you are supposed to calculate your cycle with 90% of your real 1RM, this is your training max.

there are also excel spreadsheets which max this a piece of cake which i got from BBG, very neat

_________Goals:__
Squat:______275
Deadlift:_____315
Bench:______185
Press:_______135

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"

Last edited by strkout35; 08-12-2010 at 11:17 PM.
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:19 PM   #16
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Quote:
Last time I checked I am 185 at about 15% BF. I trained for 2 years for baseball, but I wasn't serious. I lifted to lose weight starting last October. I started lifting heavy about 4 months ago. So I think I may be past newbie gains. The only real program I have ever run is Tri-Phase which I am about to start the 3rd phase in now. After I finish I will do a 1RM for Squat, Deads, and Bench to really see where I am.

My PRs for my 3 lifts are:

225 X 2 for bench
305 X 5 for squats (but I wasn't past parallel, this is what I need to work on most)
365 X 2 for deads

Like I said earlier I never really did squats or deads before I started lifting heavy 4 months ago. So I know I have to work on those. Also, I'm 5'9.

I don't plan on competing until I reach my goals that I listed a few posts ago.

Bench: 250
Deads: 450
Squats: 350

Those are the minimum.
You'll be able to find out if you still get beginner gains pretty quick; usually they don't stop after 4 months. I think you're good for a 235 Bench and 385 Deadlift if you max now; not sure about your Squat, since it wasn't to depth.

I would also suggest maxing on OHP, since it will be an important accessory movement.

ARe you aiming to compete in the 181lb or 198lb class in the future? One requires a bulk, the other one maintenance.
IronManlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #17
andys_trim
Max Brawn

I'm definitely going to do it, after I finish tri-phase. I just have to figure out how to set it up. It's confusing the hell out of me right now for some reason. Maybe because I'm tired.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:22 PM   #18
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

Quote:
I'm definitely going to do it, after I finish tri-phase. I just have to figure out how to set it up. It's confusing the hell out of me right now for some reason. Maybe because I'm tired.
did you see my post above? if you'd like me to I could email you the excel spreadsheet, it makes everything alot simpler. just PM me your email address

_________Goals:__
Squat:______275
Deadlift:_____315
Bench:______185
Press:_______135

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:26 PM   #19
andys_trim
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManlet View Post
You'll be able to find out if you still get beginner gains pretty quick; usually they don't stop after 4 months. I think you're good for a 235 Bench and 385 Deadlift if you max now; not sure about your Squat, since it wasn't to depth.

I would also suggest maxing on OHP, since it will be an important accessory movement.

ARe you aiming to compete in the 181lb or 198lb class in the future? One requires a bulk, the other one maintenance.
More than likely 198 since it seems that being able to eat will help me get stronger. Or am I way off?

Old 08-12-2010, 11:28 PM   #20
andys_trim
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by strkout35 View Post
did you see my post above? if you'd like me to I could email you the excel spreadsheet, it makes everything alot simpler. just PM me your email address
I read your post, I'm just still trying to figure it out. I just PM you. Thanks for the help