Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   looking for a new routine (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3949)

strkout35 08-06-2010 02:13 PM

looking for a new routine

been looking around alot for routines lately like john christy thread, reg park's stuff and others and i'm struggling to find one that suits me.

john christys stuff just doesnt seem like enough. i dont feel like i did enough only going to the gym 3x a week doing 1-2 big compounds per workout. those workouts would take me 25-30 minutes tops and i want to be in the gym for longer.

reg park beginner routines also dont seem to work for me because my low back doesnt like squatting/deadlifting 3x a week. 3x of heavy work for my low back a week and my back gets really tight and doesnt feel good.

any suggestions for routines where i can find a middle ground? i really want to work a full body routine and my main focus is getting stronger. thanks in advance for the replies

GL's gonna help me out but I want to get as many opinions as possible :)

BendtheBar 08-06-2010 02:26 PM

Any thought of doing an upper/lower split - 4 days per week?

You could hammer a couple major lifts per day and add in maybe 4 minor ones for some variety.

strkout35 08-06-2010 02:34 PM

Definitely a possibility! I actually really like that idea definitely gonna give that a hard thought. Maybe first upper body day I start with bench next time I start with shoulder press and focus on certain parts each day like have a low rep and higher rep day? Just some ideas

BendtheBar 08-06-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strkout35 (Post 74059)
Definitely a possibility! I actually really like that idea definitely gonna give that a hard thought. Maybe first upper body day I start with bench next time I start with shoulder press and focus on certain parts each day like have a low rep and higher rep day? Just some ideas

That's what I was thinking - for upper...chest focus one day, shoulder the next.

You could do bench on first day, and maybe CG or reverse bench the next...or even dumbbell or incline bench.

As long as your weekly overall volume is in check, you can really structure it however you like.

I don't want to push you in one direction or another, but I thought I would bring it up.

Trevor Lane 08-06-2010 02:49 PM

Have you thought about this one: York Barbell and Dumbbell Training System - Muscle and Brawn - Bodybuilding and Powerlifting

strkout35 08-06-2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 74060)
That's what I was thinking - for upper...chest focus one day, shoulder the next.

You could do bench on first day, and maybe CG or reverse bench the next...or even dumbbell or incline bench.

As long as your weekly overall volume is in check, you can really structure it however you like.

I don't want to push you in one direction or another, but I thought I would bring it up.

how about this?

Upper Body A
Bench 5x5
Rows 5x5
SOHP 3x8

Lower Body A
20 rep squats
Lunges 3 sets
Leg Curls 3 sets

Upper Body B
BTN Press 5x5
Chins 3x5
Dips or Close Grip Bench 5x5

Lower Body B
20 rep squats
SLDL 3 sets
Calf Raises 3 sets

i like the upper body days but i'm not sure about the lower body days. just a start any tweaks?

or maybe use this rotation on a 3x per week schedule?

in total this gives me 4 pressing movements 2 pulling movements and 6 lower body movements per cycle. should i add some more pulling?

strkout35 08-06-2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Lane (Post 74063)

looks cool, i'll consider this as well

BendtheBar 08-06-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strkout35 (Post 74067)
how about this?

Upper Body A
Bench
Rows
SOHP

Lower Body A
Squats 5x5
Lunges
Leg Curls

Upper Body B
BTN Press
Chins
Dips

Lower Body B
20 rep squats
SLDL
Calf Raises

i like the upper body days but i'm not sure about the lower body days. just a start any tweaks?

or maybe use this rotation on a 3x per week schedule?

Looks good. You rotating in deads, or just keeping SLDLs?

With this routine, you could always add to it if you want more work - abs, curls, etc.

strkout35 08-06-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 74071)
Looks good. You rotating in deads, or just keeping SLDLs?

With this routine, you could always add to it if you want more work - abs, curls, etc.

i've been having some low back issues. nothing serious just thats i feel its been overworked and is feeling very tight so i was thinking about sticking with squats for a few weeks and once i feel better work deads back in.

BendtheBar 08-06-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strkout35 (Post 74075)
i've been having some low back issues. nothing serious just thats i feel its been overworked and is feeling very tight so i was thinking about sticking with squats for a few weeks and once i feel better work deads back in.

I think just doing SLDLs and squats will keep your dead total increasing.