Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:21 AM   #11
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Thnaks for all the tips guys! This was just an idea i got and figured i will try it out, im very happy with my usual setup but needed some variation for a period of time.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:38 AM   #12
MMA Max
Max Brawn
Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

MMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributor

I am not a fan of this template..I think you were doing good with the road you were on..If you need a switch, I suggest looking at MMA type training to suppliment your current log - like Macebells, Kettlebells, Go for inverted pull up like I have been doing, More Forward dips, Farmer Walks, Maybe some clean and presses for shoulders and explosive power..Sledge drags but again, I am not a fan of this template..Im sorry =(

" Deutscher Stolz weltweit "

Violence. It may not be the answer, But it sure cuts down on the questions!

MMA Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:31 AM   #13
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA Max View Post
I am not a fan of this template..I think you were doing good with the road you were on..If you need a switch, I suggest looking at MMA type training to suppliment your current log - like Macebells, Kettlebells, Go for inverted pull up like I have been doing, More Forward dips, Farmer Walks, Maybe some clean and presses for shoulders and explosive power..Sledge drags but again, I am not a fan of this template..Im sorry =(
Okay man ive been looking in to some other GPP or strongman type training but dont have the access to the equipment. Will se how this works for 1 week, not from results obviously but from how my body feel, then decide if i go back to my old template, probably will becouse im allready missing the heavy push and pull days =)
Old 08-03-2010, 06:55 AM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
I figured i do 2 warmups and 5x5 worksets
Sounds good. You might want to use Friday squats in a ramping manner like the Starr 5x5 where you do something like 225 x 5, 245 x 5, 265 x 5, 285 x 5, 305 x 5. With the last set being a new 5RM PR.

This is a very classic and effective approach.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #15
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Swede give me a minute to read back through the thread, and digest what has transpired. I saw your post yesterday, but was very busy, and didn't get around to posting.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #16
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Planning to go fullbody for a while, never really tryed it out.

Day 1
Squats 5x5
BP 5x5
Rows 5x5
Biceps exercise 3x8
French Press 3x8

Day 2
Front squats 5x5
Deadlifts 5x5
OH Presses 5x5
Bi exercise 3x8
CGBP 3x8

Day 3
Squats 5x5
Inc BP 5x5
Pullups 5x5
Biceps exercise 3x8
Pushdowns 3x8

Will try it out this week, monday, wednsday and saturday. What do you think?
This isn't to bad, but it needs a little bit of tweaking. I'll get into it and how I would approach this in a seperate post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspers04 View Post
Any direct trap work, or just rely on the deads?
IMO you could rely on deads for trap work for a long time. Traps are fairly easy to overwork. A better use of time is good overall shoulder work.

Quote:
I figured i do 2 warmups and 5x5 worksets
I would suggest a good overall warmup, and use the Reg Park style of 5x5, for worksets. I've used this scheme, and it WORKS!

There is a science to doing fullbody that is 180 from todays norm. Frankly most people don't really know enough about it to properly speak on the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManlet View Post
Look all right, but you will need to switch the order of your exercises up every week; otherwise some will overlap others and impede progress.

Take Day 2, for instance. Your back is going to be fried by either Front Squats or Deadlifts, and you still have OHP; which, if done heavily, will place a certain amount of stress on your midsection. Thus, either your Front Squats or your Deadlifts will likely suffer if you do them both heavy on the same day.

So I suggest, if you're set on this program, to switch up the order every week. Maybe Front Squats first this week and Deadlifts first the next, or light Deadlifts followed by OHP and heavy Front Squats, etc.

Or you could just be a beast and plow right through it, making me look stupid.
Some of your ideas are not bad, but, they point out that your not speaking from true experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltom View Post
It looks good, but I would let it have some malleability. Basically, I would set up the three days to have the first centered on squat and bench press, the second on the deadlift, and the third for a squat (variation) and either bench press or overhead press (which you did). Then I would pick 2-4 assistance exercises based on my weaknesses (and energy levels).

For example, you might notice you need some more hamstring work, then you could drop biceps curls on one day for leg curls, or you might need more upper back so you drop the close-grip bench press for shrugs.
This is not a bad idea, but has to be impemneted properly or else you get people who chse their tail thinking that they are not hitting all the minutia muscles of thier body. When in fact a properly designed fullbody strengthens all the body as a chain. Full body is not perfect, but it is far better than most people realize.

It's an almost dead science in todays world. ALMOST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA Max View Post
I fully expected a post like this. Sorry Max but this post just screams that you don't really know what your talking about. In regards to fullbody training that is.

I've spent a lot of time utilizing fullbody templates. They work, and they work well. The biggest problem that people have in going to a fullbody program is that they don't read the directions on how to do it. Then they fail at it, and blame the program.

================================================== ========

There is a lot if info right here on MAB about fullbody work. You don't just jump into it at 100% and expect to succeed. You have to train your body for this type of approach. So intially you need to backoff and build back up.

I'll be back.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:27 AM   #17
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Dr. Casey Butt has done a lot of reserach on this topic. I'm not going to type up a huge post when all you have to do is go read his work. It's all there for the taking. A lot of people argue with what he says becasue it fly in the face of what is considered the norm by so many today. This type of training was at one time the norm and not the exception. How and why it got pushed aside is another topic.

Casey Butt Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding and Powerlifting.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/bod...on-thread.html

These two links alone are filled with hours of reading and information.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #18
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Read this.

The Real Arnold Schwarzenegger Beginner Programs Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding and Powerlifting.

Utilize Reg parks style of 5x5. Start light for at least a few weeks and leave some gas in your tank. Gradually up your intensity. It is not about leaving your nuts on the gym floor every session. It is about the current weeks total workload on your body.

Day 1 HEAVY DAY
Squats 5x5
BP 5x5
Rows 5x5
BB curl 3x8
Calf raise 3x20

Day 2 LIGHT DAY! DO NOT WORK TO HARD
Front squats 3x5 light weight!
Deadlifts 3x5 2 warmups 1 heavy workset
Medium grip chins 3xbw
BHN Presses 5x5 RP style, but leave some gas in the tank!
CGBP 3x8 2 warmup 1 heavy workset

Day 3 Med day
Squats 5x5 Mondays weight or slightly less
BP 5x5 Mondays weight or slightly less
BB or DB rows 5x5
Biceps exercise 3x8
French Press 3x8

There are lots of exercises that you can use to make up your fullbody template. You don't need every tool in the kitchen to bake a cake, and you don't need every movement to build your body.

Focus on the big movements, and stick with them. Give them time to work. Do full squats. This will mean having to drop your weight down, but it will give you a better all around effect.

Read about the classic BB and how they trained on fullbody. There is a lot of really good info in what they were doing. Caseys stuff is very good in bringing the old up to date with the new. Give this method a chance and you may never go back to weider type splits.