Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:13 AM   #1
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast
Default Glenn Pendlay on Training/diet

Thought this was interesting and could be very informative for some people: Lessons from Glenn Pendlay : Training Programs

One thing that really stood to me from all these posts was his section on diet and how it relates to training, because his view is something I've always believed in:

"let me just piss off a number of people right off the bat by saying that i totally disagree with anyone who says that food is as important as training in growing muscle.

ive heard a great number of people assert this, and its just crap, in my opinion. i know so damn many people that eat totally like crap, yet train hard and gain... but i dont know anyone who gains without training hard, unless they are a rank beginner, and thats a whole other story, since a beginner wint have to eat right to gain either.

now, to back this up a bit, let me say that the most elite athletes in the world have notoriously bad dietary habits. yeah, thats right. those elite weightlifters, skiiers, wrestlers, etc, eat like crap. if there is any common ground amoung all the sports that have resident athletes at the olympic training center, its the concern over getting decent food into the athletes. most of the top throwers i have known ate fast food, and not enough of it most of the time... most powerlifters eat like crap. if there is anything that elite olympic lifters ahve in common, its smoking, and worrying more about what beer they are going to drink than what they are having for dinner.

but, you might say, this may very well prove that gaining strength, skill, endurance, and even muscle mass isnt really tied to a perfect diet, as long as you get ennough calories... BUT bodybuilding is different because of the low bodyfat required while maintaining high amounts of muscle mass.

well let me ask you this. what stops more people from attaining a physique that looks like a bodybuilder, not enough muscle, or too much fat... and which is easier to remedy? the answer is obvious. going from 160lbs of lean body mass to 230lbs of lean body mass is a lot harder than going from 15% bodyfat to 7% bodyfat.

if your not ready to accept this, then answer this question. lets say that i was a magic genie, and could give you either the muscle mass and of ronnie coleman, or his bodyfat level. now, if i gave you his muscle mass, youd still be as fat as you are now, on top of all that muscle, and would have to lose the fat to look like him. if i gave you his bodyfat level, you would still have your present muscle mass and would have to gain the muscle yourself to look like him. which would you choose? if you didnt pick the muscle, your kidding yourself.

so what have i said so far... first, that getting big and strong, while undoubtedly helped along by a good diet, arent at all dependant on teh "scientific" and exacting diet plans that most people would hold up as ideal, in fact, getting big and strong seems to happen on a frequent basis to people whose only concern with food is that they get enough of it and that it tasts tood...

and second, that getting really big, and probably pretty strong as well, is the hardest part of being a bodybuilder. staying lean, or getting lean, are both not easy, but they arent the main challenge to the guy just starting out who want s to step onstage someday.

so there you have it... training, what you do and how hard you do it, is the most important thing in bodybuilding as in any sport. food, rest, other recovery techniques, self confidence boosters, EVERYTHING else, in fact, are just there to support the training. the training is the main thing."
IronManlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I've always been against the lifting is 80% diet nonsense. Most of it comes from bodybuilding and cutting diets, and bodybuilders repeat it like parrots. And it hurts the average, non-genetically gifted lifter.

Lifting is not 80% diet. You need an aggressive training approach that is also well constructed.

No big bodybuilder or powerlifter becomes successful with 80% diet. Food is food is food. I am about the least OCD lifter on the planet, and nearly to a fault.

Currently I eat NO solid food all day long...I drink only whey. This drives many of my bodybuilding friends ape****...literally.

"You're going to lose all your mass!"

"You're going to lose all your strength!"

I am not losing either. Because I eat like a complete slob at night and get in my calories. I will say that I am not for a wild west approach to dieting. I've ran diets before with lower protein and lost mass. What I am against is this notion that you have to micromanage every macronutrient and eat exactly 17.678345737 grams of fat every 2.5 hours or else you will die.

Rippetoe is my dieting role model. Eat, eat, eat and get your GOMAD every day. It is SO much easier to gain mass when you eat like a beast. It sure doesn't hurt for strength either.

But everyone wants to nibble slowly, eating 1.2 grams of this and that every 337.8 seconds, and they stay small. I got huge fast in college. No one told me how to eat. I just ate like a slob because I was hungry. In 2009 I bulked. My avatar shows the fruit of my labor. I have nothing against guys who want to stay lean and nibble, but man, if you want to get big train and eat like a beast. It's the fast way.

Pendlay is dead on...it's much easier to cut fat then to gain muscle slowly eating all that plain chicken breast and broccoli nonsense.

I will end with this...if you want to minimize fat gains while adding mass, then diet is VERY important. If you want to cut fat and shred, diet is very important. If you want to get big and strong, eat big and get your protein. Simply stated...make sure you're not undereating.

/End my 2 cents

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 08-01-2010 at 09:58 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

BRAVO BTB!
I'm 320 lbs, not a sloppy 3hundo. I w/o hard through out the week and I have to feed those workouts. I do try to keep it clean for the most part, if the wife says hot wings, bar burgers and dark stout beer, I'm all over it...lol I'm not breaking out my log book of dietary intake and scrutinizing my carb and fat consumption, I'm grabbing the keys and leaving!
I have the utmost respect for the guys that can be so disciplined everyday of the week, I just cant do it myself...

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
DMedley
Brawn
Points: 562, Level: 11 Points: 562, Level: 11 Points: 562, Level: 11
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

DMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributor

I read this once and then I read it again. Now that I have stopped laughing and crying at the same time, perhaps, just maybe, I can get this written. I will need to fight off the urge to go back and read again before writing.

A year ago, on a large Bodybuilding site, I made the mistake of telling someone that wanted to lose a hundred pounds, not to begin with dieting.

Basically, I told them to start by doing a good solid, strength based workout and see how much weight they dropped. I told them to clean up a little of their junk food like coke and candy bars but don't get on the newest strict diet. Then when I knocked the macro and micro nutrient fit day tracking diet, wow, talk about stirring up the hornets.
DMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspers04 View Post
if the wife says hot wings, bar burgers and dark stout beer, I'm all over it...lol
I can't wait to get back to this lifestyle. It pleases me.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMedley View Post
Then when I knocked the macro and micro nutrient fit day tracking diet, wow, talk about stirring up the hornets.
That will do it. So many people can't function unless every microgram is calculated to the next 7,234 weeks. I am not trying to make fun of these guys. I just want them to understand that it isn't really needed in most cases.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Totally agree with you, Steve.
IronManlet is offline   Reply With Quote