Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
USMCONQUISTADOR
i umm lift heavy things?
New Brawn
Points: 511, Level: 10 Points: 511, Level: 10 Points: 511, Level: 10
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

USMCONQUISTADOR is new to the forumUSMCONQUISTADOR is new to the forumUSMCONQUISTADOR is new to the forum
Default Working out for too long?

Right now im kinda confused on how long a workout should be... lately been told and read that going past a hr lifting hard hurts more then it helps but at same time i read about people spending hours on end at the gym can some one clear that up for me? i usually like to stay at the gym till im done it takes a while for me to get completely exhausted.
USMCONQUISTADOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

most people who study natural bodybuilding agree that anything past 1 hr in the gym is counter-productive. then again there are a good group of guys on this forum who train over an hour and see amazing gains so i think it's more about the person. just try to feel it out and see how your body responds and if you think you can handle it and are seeing progress then keep doing what youre doing

_________Goals:__
Squat:______275
Deadlift:_____315
Bench:______185
Press:_______135

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
USMCONQUISTADOR
i umm lift heavy things?
New Brawn

USMCONQUISTADOR is new to the forumUSMCONQUISTADOR is new to the forumUSMCONQUISTADOR is new to the forum

well ima try to find out whats works best for me thanks for the help appreciate it
Old 07-31-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I am on the fence with this issue. I don't advocate long workouts for beginners because I don't believe they need them for maximal gains, and once the door is opened, they tend to want to train like Ronnie Coleman and do 700 sets for every small body part.

The question for me is...are you training wisely first and foremost...

9 times out of 10, this forum excluded, if a guy is training 2 hours a day there is a lot of fluff in his routine - like 5 sets for pec dec, then 5 sets of cable cross overs, then 5 sets of flyes, etc. Again, I am NOT saying this about most experienced lifters. I am saying this more about beginners to younger intermediates.

I would rather see someone start basic and add in work.

I think when a beginner wants to add in volume, the first question that should be asked is why? Generally they aren't experiencing gains due to lack or progression, or to improper diet, and think that the key is more volume or frequency.

For intermediates, they need to understand that they can't recapture beginner gains (unless they juice), so they need to think through adding in volume if it's simply to jump start gains. If this is the prime motivation for an intermediate, I would recommend that they don't add volume.

I have no problem with adding volume (time) and experimenting for intermediates, as long as they understand that massive muscle growths spurts are a thing of the past.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
Marc
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30

Marc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributor

I agree Steve alot of people get way to redundant with the things they are doing in the gym. My workouts vary from 45 minutes to 3 hours on occasion. It all depends on my motivation level, how much stretching and warming up I do before and after, how fast I am going, like last night I had nothing going on and was just really taking my time resting heavy and spent 3 hours total in the gym. Other days I go in and totally blast myself in 40 minutes and have to walk out almost puking while trying to catch my breath. I agree with the saying "quality over quantity" but there are too many determining factors to say for sure what is too much time, based on the variables I listed above. Every single person is different however. A know a guy that I train with occasionally who will often feel so good he does 2 a days and youd think he has to be way over training but the guy makes solid gains and just keeps getting stronger. He's an animal. If you aren't getting worn out with an hour solid of lifting without long rest periods then I would say you defenitely need to up the weights and switch to a new program maybe.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
onetiredkris
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
9 times out of 10, this forum excluded, if a guy is training 2 hours a day there is a lot of fluff in his routine - like 5 sets for pec dec, then 5 sets of cable cross overs, then 5 sets of flyes, etc. Again, I am NOT saying this about most experienced lifters. I am saying this more about beginners to younger intermediates.
lol btb always there to please!!

yeah i believe most people that spend hours on end at the gym and either just talking and ****ting around, or seriously not getting a true workout in.

bottom line is that if your training correctly, then there should be no reason to be in the gym for so long

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
Marc
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30

Marc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetiredkris View Post

yeah i believe most people that spend hours on end at the gym and either just talking and ****ting around, or seriously not getting a true workout in.

bottom line is that if your training correctly, then there should be no reason to be in the gym for so long
Yea agreed, I went to a comercial gym for a few months, its actually closer to a highschool hallway at lunchtime than a gym. WAY too much other **** going on besides lifting for sure
Old 07-31-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

The age old debate. I agree quality of time over quantity. Beginners should stick to the big 3 and other compound lifts and avoid small isolation work for the most part. If you do that and you're anywhere around 1 hr. a workout I think you'll be productive. I fit into the intermediate strength range and my workouts are 45-90 min. For the most part I don't let the clock dictate my session and get in the lifts I plan on doing before quitting.
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetiredkris View Post

Well we don't exactly have a lot of novice lifters here. And we don't have many fluff-filled routines.

The end.

But I do agree with you. If you're busting your balls, it's hard to train 2 hours a day. I sometimes (believe it or not) train 80 minutes a day.

But as far as they debate that training to much will turn you into an estrogen-like creature - I don't believe that anymore. I once parroted it though.

My last job I worked as a machinist and had to deadlift 50 to 100 pound blocks 100-200 times per day. If was heavy ass work, and I didn't grow breasts.
Attached Thumbnails
butt_crack_joe_the_plumber.jpg  

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-31-2010 at 03:20 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:34 PM   #10
USMCONQUISTADOR
i umm lift heavy things?
New Brawn

well im not sure where to place myself or how to figure where to place myself im pretty sure id fall into intermediate or at least getting there. i dont take offense to gettin called a begginer if thats where im at but i think i got a pretty good work ethic in the gym most the time i just go by myself and dont rly talk much there. hope what im bouta type isent too long but advise is greatly appreciated im tryin to get as big and strong as i possibly can.

for today took me about 1hr45min...ish
6 sets of deadlifts 8x135 6x185 5x225 4x275 3x315 2x365 1x405
5 sets of tbar rows 5x180 5x180 5x225 5x225 2x235 ripped skin off on last set
4 sets of barbell rows 2 palms facin 2 facing out out135x10 in185x6 out185x5 in225x3
4 sets of shrugs 135x25 185x15 225x10 250x5
3 sets of bicep curls 40x10 each arm 45x10 each 45 x8 each
3 more sets of curls but hands facing in same rep scheme just 35 30 30
then i moved on to abs but those aint important

any advise that could lead me towards gettin bigger and stronger is greatly appreciated