Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:01 PM   #21
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys_trim View Post
The best advice I could give is low reps/high weight and to eat big. Muscles are made in the kitchen. Eating is just as important as the actual work out. Eat as much as you can and lift the heavy weight and you will see results.
While I agree that eating is VERY important and should be treated as such, training is more important. The better your training, the better your results. And it IS possible, even though it's very hard, to out-train a less-than-optimal diet. (Notice that I didn't say a BAD diet, but maybe one that isn't as high in calories.)
IronManlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2010, 11:12 PM   #22
andys_trim
Max Brawn
Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift!
Fav Supp: Any I can afford.
andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCONQUISTADOR View Post
how serious do you guys take that standard strength for men chart?
I don't take it seriously. Its a reference, but it depends on the person

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
andys_trim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:42 AM   #23
DMedley
Brawn
Points: 562, Level: 11 Points: 562, Level: 11 Points: 562, Level: 11
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

DMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
My last job I worked as a machinist and had to deadlift 50 to 100 pound blocks 100-200 times per day. If was heavy ass work, and I didn't grow breasts.
I use to work in a foundry where we made Man Hole covers and rings, like you see in the streets. I had to lift them into a machine to turn the edges so they looked good.

I think of that more like GPP training. Lift 10 seconds. If you did this 200 times during the day the actual workout time would be about 34 minutes.

I was in far better shape in those days than I am today. For me, this makes a great argument for doing more heavy GPP and less in gym time.
DMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:52 AM   #24
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCONQUISTADOR View Post
how serious do you guys take that standard strength for men chart?
I think it's accurate. Here's a link for any curious:

http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/streng...dards-men.html

Elite is very difficult to achieve. And advanced looks very close to what I would consider advanced.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 08-01-2010 at 08:55 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #25
andys_trim
Max Brawn
Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift!
Fav Supp: Any I can afford.
andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
I think it's accurate. Here's a link for any curious:

Strength Standards for Men - Muscle and Brawn - Bodybuilding and Powerlifting

Elite is very difficult to achieve. And advanced looks very close to what I would consider advanced.
Is that all 1RM?

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
andys_trim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #26
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys_trim View Post
Is that all 1RM?
Yes.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:07 AM   #27
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMedley View Post
I use to work in a foundry where we made Man Hole covers and rings, like you see in the streets. I had to lift them into a machine to turn the edges so they looked good.

I think of that more like GPP training. Lift 10 seconds. If you did this 200 times during the day the actual workout time would be about 34 minutes.

I was in far better shape in those days than I am today. For me, this makes a great argument for doing more heavy GPP and less in gym time.
One thing I learned is that I could beat up my body for 8 hours and still workout when I got home and make progress. And I would add that for 4 months during this time I was trying a Warrior Diet where I wasn't eating much during the day. I was still getting stronger.

It seems to me that as long as the proper food intake is there, you can do quite a bit of GPP and make strength and muscle gains.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #28
DMedley
Brawn
Points: 562, Level: 11 Points: 562, Level: 11 Points: 562, Level: 11
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

DMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributorDMedley is a consistent contributor

Quote:
One thing I learned is that I could beat up my body for 8 hours and still workout when I got home and make progress. And I would add that for 4 months during this time I was trying a Warrior Diet where I wasn't eating much during the day. I was still getting stronger.

It seems to me that as long as the proper food intake is there, you can do quite a bit of GPP and make strength and muscle gains.
I agree! If this was not true, then only Accountants and Secretaries would make gains working out and construction workers would be wasting their time going to the gym.

Being retired, I only get exercise when I go to the gym. I do Wendler's 531, so my cardio sucks. I have struggled to find something to increase my cardio and the ideas I have come up with, I do not have an area for or its something I could not continue. I don't want to hijack the thread so I will start a thread on this in about a week, leaving on vacation.
DMedley is offline   Reply With Quote