Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Rant on "Bad Knees"

Just a mini-rant on "bad knees."

I often hear, "I have bad knees. What can I replace squats and deadlifts with?"

9 times out of 10 this person does not have bad knees, and merely has weak knees from living a unhealthy, lazy lifestyle. Or more likely, they are just lying so they don't have to do squats or deadlifts.

More squats, less torill-o chips.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-30-2010 at 10:52 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Just a mini-rant on "bad knees."

I often hear, "I have bad knees. What can I replace squats and deadlifts with?"

9 times out of 10 this person does not have bad knees, and merely has weak knees from living a unhealthy, lazy lifestyle. Or more likely, they are just lying so they don't have to do squats or deadlifts.

More squats, less torill-o chips.
I have a bad knee from a motorcycle accident many years ago. When I first started lifting heavy, I torqued it doing some side lunges and it hurt like hell even to walk. I decided that maybe if I built up some more muscle around the knee, made it stronger, that I could actually make it better. Lots of people advised me NOT to do that because I would run the risk of making it worse. Well guess what? The more leg work I do, the less knee pain I have.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

I used to think the same thing. Very shortly after starting to squat I started rippetoes program which called for heavy squatting 3x a week. My knees hurt so bad and I figured it would never go away unless I stopped squatting. Now my knees feel amazing. That's one of my only qualms with rippetoes. Rank beginners should not squat heavy 3x a week their bodies just can't handle it IMO
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strkout35 View Post
I used to think the same thing. Very shortly after starting to squat I started rippetoes program which called for heavy squatting 3x a week. My knees hurt so bad and I figured it would never go away unless I stopped squatting. Now my knees feel amazing. That's one of my only qualms with rippetoes. Rank beginners should not squat heavy 3x a week their bodies just can't handle it IMO
I tend to agree. I prefer the Madcow approach. 3 times a week is just a bit too much to handle out of the gate, especially when stabilizers, etc., are still weak.

My knees are better from squatting. I beat them up quite a bit from running and I don't think they've ever been better.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalVirago View Post
Well guess what? The more leg work I do, the less knee pain I have.
I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I can see very little downside to strengthening the body after an injury.

I can't see that the opposite - allowing it to weaken - is a sound choice. Obviously injuries are all unique, and should be treated as such, but I don't like the idea of allowing my body to get weaker. I want strength and health as I age.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:35 AM   #6
DieselWeasel
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Whey Powder
DieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beast

The following line sums it up, Steve.

Americans are weak (mentally/physically) and lazy.

RPS - Open 165 Raw - 07.13.13
1365 Elite/Pro Total (475,300,590)
DieselWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:37 AM   #7
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

"dangerous" exercises will always be and excuse for people to remain lazy. 3x8 legpresses a week never built massive legs as far as i know. =)
Old 07-31-2010, 07:19 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

The ultimate dangerous activity is sitting on one's ass. I watched a few loved ones grow ill from that activity.