Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Rant on "Bad Knees" (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3892)

BendtheBar 07-30-2010 10:47 AM

Rant on "Bad Knees"

Just a mini-rant on "bad knees."

I often hear, "I have bad knees. What can I replace squats and deadlifts with?"

9 times out of 10 this person does not have bad knees, and merely has weak knees from living a unhealthy, lazy lifestyle. Or more likely, they are just lying so they don't have to do squats or deadlifts.

More squats, less torill-o chips.

ElementalVirago 07-30-2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 72702)
Just a mini-rant on "bad knees."

I often hear, "I have bad knees. What can I replace squats and deadlifts with?"

9 times out of 10 this person does not have bad knees, and merely has weak knees from living a unhealthy, lazy lifestyle. Or more likely, they are just lying so they don't have to do squats or deadlifts.

More squats, less torill-o chips.

I have a bad knee from a motorcycle accident many years ago. When I first started lifting heavy, I torqued it doing some side lunges and it hurt like hell even to walk. I decided that maybe if I built up some more muscle around the knee, made it stronger, that I could actually make it better. Lots of people advised me NOT to do that because I would run the risk of making it worse. Well guess what? The more leg work I do, the less knee pain I have.

strkout35 07-30-2010 10:59 AM

I used to think the same thing. Very shortly after starting to squat I started rippetoes program which called for heavy squatting 3x a week. My knees hurt so bad and I figured it would never go away unless I stopped squatting. Now my knees feel amazing. That's one of my only qualms with rippetoes. Rank beginners should not squat heavy 3x a week their bodies just can't handle it IMO

BendtheBar 07-30-2010 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strkout35 (Post 72705)
I used to think the same thing. Very shortly after starting to squat I started rippetoes program which called for heavy squatting 3x a week. My knees hurt so bad and I figured it would never go away unless I stopped squatting. Now my knees feel amazing. That's one of my only qualms with rippetoes. Rank beginners should not squat heavy 3x a week their bodies just can't handle it IMO

I tend to agree. I prefer the Madcow approach. 3 times a week is just a bit too much to handle out of the gate, especially when stabilizers, etc., are still weak.

My knees are better from squatting. I beat them up quite a bit from running and I don't think they've ever been better.

BendtheBar 07-30-2010 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElementalVirago (Post 72704)
Well guess what? The more leg work I do, the less knee pain I have.

I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I can see very little downside to strengthening the body after an injury.

I can't see that the opposite - allowing it to weaken - is a sound choice. Obviously injuries are all unique, and should be treated as such, but I don't like the idea of allowing my body to get weaker. I want strength and health as I age.

DieselWeasel 07-31-2010 02:35 AM

The following line sums it up, Steve.

Americans are weak (mentally/physically) and lazy.

big_swede 07-31-2010 06:37 AM

"dangerous" exercises will always be and excuse for people to remain lazy. 3x8 legpresses a week never built massive legs as far as i know. =)

BendtheBar 07-31-2010 07:19 AM

The ultimate dangerous activity is sitting on one's ass. I watched a few loved ones grow ill from that activity.