Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast
Default High Squats on purpose?

Recently I was struck with a certain phrase I read from Mark "Spud" Bartley; former world record holder in the Squat:

"The only time I Squat to depth is in competition."

My initial thought was that I had read it wrong, but there it was. Next thing that ran through my head: "How the fuk did he get strong if he didn't do full squats?"

And it was then that I realized that maybe that's the whole problem; maybe people have become so dogmatic about the full squat that they aren't putting heavy enough weights on their back to facilitate ideal strength gains. Maybe that's why THEY are not Squatting 1000lbs.

So then I had an idea: why not do some heavy partial Squats (half-squats/parallel squats) after my initial working sets? That way I'm still getting the full ROM, and also overloading my legs with the heavy poundages. Since proportionate development can get fuked sideways as far as I'm concerned, I don't see how this could hurt any.

Thoughts?
IronManlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2010, 12:05 AM   #2
onetiredkris
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

i normally vary depth week by week.

but this friday im putting a spin on leg day: 12 sets from ATG to HALFERS

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:06 AM   #3
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

is he saying he doesnt go full depth in that he does partials like halves and quarters? or is he saying he goes deep always but just not to parallel? i can see stopping shy of parallel to add some extra poundage

_________Goals:__
Squat:______275
Deadlift:_____315
Bench:______185
Press:_______135

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:11 AM   #4
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManlet View Post
Recently I was struck with a certain phrase I read from Mark "Spud" Bartley; former world record holder in the Squat:

"The only time I Squat to depth is in competition."

My initial thought was that I had read it wrong, but there it was. Next thing that ran through my head: "How the fuk did he get strong if he didn't do full squats?"

And it was then that I realized that maybe that's the whole problem; maybe people have become so dogmatic about the full squat that they aren't putting heavy enough weights on their back to facilitate ideal strength gains. Maybe that's why THEY are not Squatting 1000lbs.

So then I had an idea: why not do some heavy partial Squats (half-squats/parallel squats) after my initial working sets? That way I'm still getting the full ROM, and also overloading my legs with the heavy poundages. Since proportionate development can get fuked sideways as far as I'm concerned, I don't see how this could hurt any.

Thoughts?
I tryed that last week actually, going to paralell or just above as i increased the weight, got a good pinch in the hammstrings from this and i sure i could handle more weight easier, still went atg on the last 5 sets though.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:06 AM   #5
Lerho
Brawn
Points: 2,733, Level: 31 Points: 2,733, Level: 31 Points: 2,733, Level: 31

Lerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
I tryed that last week actually, going to paralell or just above as i increased the weight, got a good pinch in the hammstrings from this and i sure i could handle more weight easier, still went atg on the last 5 sets though.
How can you go ATG when you are so tall and have long limbs? I can only go JUST past parallel no matter what I do.
Lerho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:12 AM   #6
nighttrain
Max Brawn
Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68

Training Exp: 20+
nighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beast

i think squating to paralell is fine.... i know i have personally squated 505 to just above paralell, and in doing so it has made the rest of my squat sets stronger.... its all about moving that heavy ass weight... i also believe that you just need to put that heavy ass weight on the bar, no matter if you are squatting or benching.... slap on the weight get a gooder spotter and go for broke every now and again... your body needs the shock of feeling that much weight.... again, just my 2 cents, what the 'ell do i know?????
Old 07-23-2010, 06:38 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I aim for close but never worry about depth. Especially with the heavy sets.

I imagine Marc squats "close" to parallel most of the time. Or simply trains a little high with heavy weight. Here is is teaching arch while going deep:

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:57 AM   #8
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerho View Post
How can you go ATG when you are so tall and have long limbs? I can only go JUST past parallel no matter what I do.
When i say ATG i mean s deep as possible, (well below parallel for me)
Old 07-23-2010, 07:03 AM   #9
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Thanks for all the replies. ^

I had been Squatting past parallel/ATG on every single rep/set since I started powerlifting, and my Squat has been pretty mediocre, if you ask me.

I think I'll try doing some higher Squats after my normal working sets to get that extra poundage in.
IronManlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:09 AM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManlet View Post
Thanks for all the replies. ^

I had been Squatting past parallel/ATG on every single rep/set since I started powerlifting, and my Squat has been pretty mediocre, if you ask me.

I think I'll try doing some higher Squats after my normal working sets to get that extra poundage in.
How close is your squatting stance?

I know that Spuds squats ultra-wide and in gear which makes is a bear to go past parallel to begin with. Not sure how he trains though. Just wanted to point out that difference.

I would simply try to get close. Close is good enough

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote