Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast
Default High Squats on purpose?

Recently I was struck with a certain phrase I read from Mark "Spud" Bartley; former world record holder in the Squat:

"The only time I Squat to depth is in competition."

My initial thought was that I had read it wrong, but there it was. Next thing that ran through my head: "How the fuk did he get strong if he didn't do full squats?"

And it was then that I realized that maybe that's the whole problem; maybe people have become so dogmatic about the full squat that they aren't putting heavy enough weights on their back to facilitate ideal strength gains. Maybe that's why THEY are not Squatting 1000lbs.

So then I had an idea: why not do some heavy partial Squats (half-squats/parallel squats) after my initial working sets? That way I'm still getting the full ROM, and also overloading my legs with the heavy poundages. Since proportionate development can get fuked sideways as far as I'm concerned, I don't see how this could hurt any.

Thoughts?
IronManlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links