Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:23 AM   #11
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
How close is your squatting stance?

I know that Spuds squats ultra-wide and in gear which makes is a bear to go past parallel to begin with. Not sure how he trains though. Just wanted to point out that difference.

I would simply try to get close. Close is good enough
It's fairly wide; not sumo or anything, which I hear isn't very good for raw Squatters. Not sure how to describe it....it's wider than an Oly stance and outside of shoulder width. I can hit depth without too much trouble.
IronManlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2010, 07:25 AM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManlet View Post
It's fairly wide; not sumo or anything, which I hear isn't very good for raw Squatters. Not sure how to describe it....it's wider than an Oly stance and outside of shoulder width. I can hit depth without too much trouble.
I was curious more than anything. It sounds close to mine right now.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:26 AM   #13
Lerho
Brawn
Points: 2,733, Level: 31 Points: 2,733, Level: 31 Points: 2,733, Level: 31
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Lerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good posts

I have noticed that many people THINK that they go much deeper than they actually do. They talk about doing deep squats but if they are videotaped they are in fact doing half-squat... This happened to me, I thought that I went easily below parallel, but I was in fact above parallel... Now I go just below parallel (Im using a box), but I had to take about 20% from my work set weights off to be able to do it. But I think this is better in a long run than consistently doing half squats.
Lerho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:27 AM   #14
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerho View Post
I have noticed that many people THINK that they go much deeper than they actually do. They talk about doing deep squats but if they are videotaped they are in fact doing half-squat... This happened to me, I thought that I went easily below parallel, but I was in fact above parallel... Now I go just below parallel (Im using a box), but I had to take about 20% from my work set weights off to be able to do it. But I think this is better in a long run than consistently doing half squats.
For sure. What I was wondering about is using half Squats AFTER your deeper working sets; just to overload the legs a bit.
IronManlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:28 AM   #15
Lerho
Brawn

Lerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
When i say ATG i mean s deep as possible, (well below parallel for me)
You are flexible then, considering your height. How wide your stance is?
Old 07-23-2010, 07:29 AM   #16
Lerho
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManlet View Post
For sure. What I was wondering about is using half Squats AFTER your deeper working sets; just to overload the legs a bit.
Yeah, thats a good idea certainly.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:52 PM   #17
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerho View Post
You are flexible then, considering your height. How wide your stance is?

My stance is shoulder width or slightly more.