Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Squat Walkout & Holds

Any have comments on, or see the value in trying squat walkouts and holds. Say walking out 50 pounds heavier than your max, and just standing with the weight for 20 to 30 seconds?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

I would be tempted to try this if spotters were available, but I train alone most of the time (and I mean no one else in the gym at all when I say alone) so I only do supports/holds or negatives with "recoverable" lifts like bench presses and rows. But on those lifts I have seen some improvement that I believe is due to supports and negatives.
Trevor Lane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn
Points: 4,544, Level: 42 Points: 4,544, Level: 42 Points: 4,544, Level: 42
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: ON's Pro Complex Gainer
Craig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributor

I guess it depends what your reasons for doing them are. Is it to get used to heavy weights on your back? Strengthening tendons/bones? Core stability? To make the work sets feel light? For me they would be seen as unecessary with all the band tension squats and yoke work I do. I generally feel comfortable with supramaximal weights on my back. I could see them being used as something to excite the CNS before a set. Do the walkout/hold for like 5 seconds and then do your heavy/work set (after warm-ups). I know that after heavy singles only taking off 10% of that weight makes it feel lighter than when I was working up to that weight in the first place.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I have very limited equipment and a half-squat rack so there aren't many squat variations I can do...like partials, etc. I am looking to try something different to help my squat. I have been stagnating for about 4 months now.

When I hit my 500 squat I was very unstable holding the weight on my back. Nearly fell walking it back in.

Thought I would try some walkouts and holds to build core strength and tendon strength. I'm curious about holds more than walkouts. At least with holds I can unrack without walking out, making it safer until I get used to the weight.

Really, I'm just hungry to get past this plateau. I've tried everything from heavy singles to heavy doubles and triples to cycling weight these past 3 -4 months and nothing seems to be working.

I'm been practicing and honing my form, etc. Just can't get anywhere right now. Heck, I'm almost doing RDLs at higher reps than I do squats.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-22-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Steve, have you tried hacks with the bar behind your back?
Trevor Lane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Lane View Post
Steve, have you tried hacks with the bar behind your back?
I did. I had to elevate them to get the movement started, and wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:31 PM   #7
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

With holds you can get over that mental aspect of having a really heavy weight on your back; making your actual working set/max feel lighter. SO I'd say they're pretty good in that regard. Also could help with stability.
IronManlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

I think they would help with core and stability strength, when I do quarter squats I usually hold the weight for a few seconds before letting it down.

What about very high box squats? I think that would help stability and build up your tendons even more
Old 07-22-2010, 08:25 PM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I need to build myself a good high box. Right now I do them on my bench and it can be kind of tricky walking the weight out because the bench has quite an obnoxious base.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:40 AM   #10
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

BTB, If you think the reason your squat has stagnated because of a lack of confidence I would think these would help. However, I looked through your log and noticed that Abs were not trained very often. I'm a firm believer that abs should be done at least 2-3 times a week. Give it a shot for a couple months and see what happens with your squat.
ehubbard is offline   Reply With Quote