Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:56 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default 5x5 Equals what 1RM?

If you can perform 5x5 with a certain weight, say bench for 225, does anyone know what that would equate to for a 1RM?

Anyone ever seen a table or calculator?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

Never seen a calculator including sets performed but I would guess that the lifters 5RM is roughly 10-15 pounds higher than the 5x5 weight so you could use the table once you estimate the 5RM
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
If you can perform 5x5 with a certain weight, say bench for 225, does anyone know what that would equate to for a 1RM?

Anyone ever seen a table or calculator?
They have a calculator for that on bb.com. I know, I know...but they do. I can put my lifting stats in there on my profile and it'll calculate the 1 rep max.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalVirago View Post
They have a calculator for that on bb.com. I know, I know...but they do. I can put my lifting stats in there on my profile and it'll calculate the 1 rep max.
Is it a 5x5 calculator?

We have calculators here too, but not a 5x5:

Tools - Muscle and Brawn - Bodybuilding and Powerlifting

Old 07-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Is it a 5x5 calculator?

We have calculators here too, but not a 5x5:

Tools - Muscle and Brawn - Bodybuilding and Powerlifting
Oh I dunno. I just know you can put in what you lifted and how many times and it'll calculate your 1 RM.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn
Points: 4,544, Level: 42 Points: 4,544, Level: 42 Points: 4,544, Level: 42
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: ON's Pro Complex Gainer
Craig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributor

It's dependent on a lot of things such as the exercise you're doing, time between the sets, whether you've done any heavy singles to begin with, etc. For instance, with front squats a few years ago, whatever I could do for 5x5 with 2 minutes rest I could do 50lbs more for a single. For percents, that ended up being about 83%. That is just one example though and it could be very different for you.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
denis
New Brawn
Points: 2,408, Level: 29 Points: 2,408, Level: 29 Points: 2,408, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

denis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributor

Multiply it by 1.2.So a 225 bench for 5x5 would be a 270 1 rep max.I got this formula from Pavel in this article. Pavel: 80/20 Powerlifting and How to Add 110+ Pounds to Your Lifts
denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Right now my raw squat 5RM is about 440. My projected squat max from that is around 518. So it appears many calculators are using around 85% of 1RM for a 5RM.

I think my max is around 515 to 520, so it appears at least for me this is spot on.

I think if I tried a 5x5 I might have to start around 405 to have a prayer of completing it. Maybe even around 385. I've ran an 8x2 with around 425 (ish).