Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   5x5 Equals what 1RM? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3741)

BendtheBar 07-12-2010 07:56 AM

5x5 Equals what 1RM?
 
If you can perform 5x5 with a certain weight, say bench for 225, does anyone know what that would equate to for a 1RM?

Anyone ever seen a table or calculator?

strkout35 07-12-2010 08:17 AM

Never seen a calculator including sets performed but I would guess that the lifters 5RM is roughly 10-15 pounds higher than the 5x5 weight so you could use the table once you estimate the 5RM

ElementalVirago 07-12-2010 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 69290)
If you can perform 5x5 with a certain weight, say bench for 225, does anyone know what that would equate to for a 1RM?

Anyone ever seen a table or calculator?

They have a calculator for that on bb.com. I know, I know...but they do. I can put my lifting stats in there on my profile and it'll calculate the 1 rep max.

BendtheBar 07-12-2010 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElementalVirago (Post 69297)
They have a calculator for that on bb.com. I know, I know...but they do. I can put my lifting stats in there on my profile and it'll calculate the 1 rep max.

Is it a 5x5 calculator?

We have calculators here too, but not a 5x5:

Tools - Muscle and Brawn - Bodybuilding and Powerlifting

Craig Pfisterer 07-12-2010 09:11 AM

It's dependent on a lot of things such as the exercise you're doing, time between the sets, whether you've done any heavy singles to begin with, etc. For instance, with front squats a few years ago, whatever I could do for 5x5 with 2 minutes rest I could do 50lbs more for a single. For percents, that ended up being about 83%. That is just one example though and it could be very different for you.

denis 07-12-2010 09:21 AM

Multiply it by 1.2.So a 225 bench for 5x5 would be a 270 1 rep max.I got this formula from Pavel in this article. Pavel: 80/20 Powerlifting and How to Add 110+ Pounds to Your Lifts

ElementalVirago 07-12-2010 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 69298)
Is it a 5x5 calculator?

We have calculators here too, but not a 5x5:

Tools - Muscle and Brawn - Bodybuilding and Powerlifting

Oh I dunno. I just know you can put in what you lifted and how many times and it'll calculate your 1 RM.

BendtheBar 07-12-2010 09:44 AM

Right now my raw squat 5RM is about 440. My projected squat max from that is around 518. So it appears many calculators are using around 85% of 1RM for a 5RM.

I think my max is around 515 to 520, so it appears at least for me this is spot on.

I think if I tried a 5x5 I might have to start around 405 to have a prayer of completing it. Maybe even around 385. I've ran an 8x2 with around 425 (ish).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.