Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   home gym (building a room for it) (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3715)

CoopDawg 07-07-2010 01:01 AM

home gym (building a room for it)

Im gonna buy a big power rack later but would this be worth it until then and im gonna buy a 60" olympic bar 700 pound capacity and 2 25 pound plates because i have some weights already its the start of a home gym

the squat rack:It extends from 30 to 60" whatever that means lol....Walmart.com: Powerline Squat Rack: Exercise & Fitness

nighttrain 07-07-2010 07:00 AM

i would think you wouldbe better off getting one that has the safety bars on it, just in case you hit muscle failure. that way if you fail or fall the weight gets caught on the bars and not on your head.... but thats just my two cents worth...

big valsalva 07-07-2010 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nighttrain (Post 68485)
i would think you wouldbe better off getting one that has the safety bars on it, just in case you hit muscle failure. that way if you fail or fall the weight gets caught on the bars and not on your head.... but thats just my two cents worth...

...and my two cents worth.

BendtheBar 07-07-2010 07:38 AM

I think you should save up for a rack at NY Barbell.

POWER RACKS

They are quality, but not too expensive. I use their equipment.

CoopDawg 07-07-2010 01:38 PM

Thanks guys I will wait and buy one of the power racks btb suggested i will just get started buying and olympic bar and some weight, and maybe a few dumbells

CoopDawg 07-07-2010 01:41 PM

how much would it cost and what would be the right size to build a nice room for workout equipment, I have heard 7x10 would be just fine but i think i would need more room than that

bas781 07-07-2010 02:07 PM

I priced out doing the garage gym thing at some point in the next few years and it was easily a $1500+ for what I wanted. I wasn't going to cheap out with the rack nor the bar. Want bumper plates too for things like cleans and that involved building an olympic platform as well as good flooring so I wouldn't break the bumpers. I'm sure it can be done for cheaper with a cheaper rack and just reg. metal plates. Just don't skimp on the bar you buy. That's where most of your $$$ should be going is on a damn good bar.

Grim83 07-07-2010 02:20 PM

well from my point of view you could do worse...(Bowflex anyone) to be honest though a sumo rack like BTB, plates a bar and a bench is as close to heaven as i could come. your not gonna need a huge amount of space either i mean i use prolly a 13x5 areas if that long to do all my stuff

CoopDawg 07-07-2010 03:48 PM

The bar itself was like 200 and 700 pound capacity seems good to me

kman025 07-07-2010 04:15 PM

you could go with that rack... just learn how to ditch the weights... maybe build boxes on the ground that go up about a foot, just so if you lean too far forward and fall you at least dont get crushed to death... just a lot of pain...

or a good spotter....

or like others said a rack...