Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:43 AM   #1
JBIGS
Owner, Swollen Gorilla Cl
Brawn
Points: 1,364, Level: 20 Points: 1,364, Level: 20 Points: 1,364, Level: 20
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
JBIGS has made some good postsJBIGS has made some good postsJBIGS has made some good postsJBIGS has made some good postsJBIGS has made some good postsJBIGS has made some good postsJBIGS has made some good postsJBIGS has made some good postsJBIGS has made some good postsJBIGS has made some good postsJBIGS has made some good posts
Default Grip Strength

I want to improve my grip strength so that I can be a better lifter. Any suggestions?
An adult gorilla's upper body strength is six times more powerful than that of an adult human - enabling them to lift, break, and squeeze heavy objects. I'd rather have GORILLA STRENGTH & GORILLA MUSLCE!

Rise Up. Beat Your Gorilla Chest. Conquer the World.
JBIGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I'm sure the other guys will have plenty of good suggestions. Mine is to perform static holds with a barbell in a squat rack. Pick, say, 225 pounds and try to hold it for 30-60 seconds. If you can do this, add a bit of weight. Do about 3 sets of static holds each week after regular training, and add weight when you hit your target hold time.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
cooltom
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

cooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributor

Static holds are good. I also hold my last deadlift for 20-30 seconds, which is something I picked up from MAB's own Diesel Weasel (Thanks for this DW).

I also like Kroc rows, which are DB rows done with heavy weights and high reps, sans straps. Limiting use of straps will help.

Finally, I feel that using Fat Gripz has improved my forearm and grip strength as well.

Follow my progress: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-powerful.html
cooltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:03 AM   #4
Jwillstrong
Brawn
Points: 288, Level: 5 Points: 288, Level: 5 Points: 288, Level: 5
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Jwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality posts

One thing I feel that would help with grip are the hardcore grippers. The ones that you have actual contests with. Captains of crush grippers. They have different levels like the guide, trainer, level 1,2,3, & and I believe they are coming out with a 4. What i'm going to start doing myself is taking maybe the trainer or the level 1 and doing explosive closes with them.
Jwillstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:34 AM   #5
Trapz
New Brawn
Points: 141, Level: 2 Points: 141, Level: 2 Points: 141, Level: 2
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Trapz is new to the forumTrapz is new to the forum

One hand deadlift, alternate...
Old 08-22-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Static holds should help a lot.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #7
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwillstrong View Post
One thing I feel that would help with grip are the hardcore grippers. The ones that you have actual contests with. Captains of crush grippers. They have different levels like the guide, trainer, level 1,2,3, & and I believe they are coming out with a 4. What i'm going to start doing myself is taking maybe the trainer or the level 1 and doing explosive closes with them.
i tried the 3 before..that sucka was crazy hard

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #8
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Farmers Walks and Holds. Use thick bars/axles. Pinch Grip Holds.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:54 PM   #9
Marc
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30

Marc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
Farmers Walks and Holds. Use thick bars/axles. Pinch Grip Holds.
This ^^

The Fat bar if you have access to one is great, I do the Farmers holds and just started doing Plate pinches which are hard as hell. Also I dont know the name of it but I use this thing that is basically a post you stack plates on, then hook the handle on top which is like a 3 inch diameter or a little larger, pick the stack up with one hand. Same type of thing, kind of, that people would do the duck walk carry with.