Muscle and Brawn Forums
 

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
Jwillstrong
Member
Brawn
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 62
Reputation: 648
Jwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality posts
Default Straps and Farmer's Walk

I'm just curious as to why you would strap up on farmers? I think you know that you cant strap up in competition, so why lift with them? I personally wouldn't strap up because really whats the point.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-04-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Jwillstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
 
Bodybygamma's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,499
Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Reputation: 104098
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwillstrong View Post
I'm just curious as to why you would strap up on farmers? I think you know that you cant strap up in competition, so why lift with them? I personally wouldn't strap up because really whats the point.
Troll *cough* lol,jk. But being serious for a moment, I used straps on the farmers because I don't want to rip off my callouses and ruin my training over the next few weeks.

The point of strapped farmers deadlifts is because if my body is used to picking up and holding 360lbs in each hand, when I have to do lighter walks with lets say 300lbs, I will be able to sprint with it and feel comfortable. Same thing goes with deadlifts or any grip involved movement.

Do you let the rest of your body get weak because your grip is failing? I think not.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
 
BendtheBar's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 79,948
Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
Reputation: 2584002
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post

Do you let the rest of your body get weak because your grip is failing? I think not.
I hear you Tony. I now use straps for all rowing lifts. I fought it for a year, but my rowing strength is light years past my grip strength.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."



Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-04-2010 at 07:36 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Jwillstrong
Member
Brawn
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 62
Reputation: 648
Jwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
The point of strapped farmers deadlifts is because if my body is used to picking up and holding 360lbs in each hand, when I have to do lighter walks with lets say 300lbs, I will be able to sprint with it and feel comfortable. Same thing goes with deadlifts or any grip involved movement.

Do you let the rest of your body get weak because your grip is failing? I think not.
Ok I see what your saying but picking up 360 is different than sprinting with 300. Your pickup on 300 will be quicker but I dont think it will increase your time for distance. The thing is with picking up 360 your feeling the weight for 2 seconds and then you drop. It would be different if you held it for 10-30 seconds. Well why not go strapless on deadlifts to improve your grip? Why not work on that weakness? Not only just doing grip work but in your lifts also. I personally wouldnt let my body get weak because my grip is failing but thats the reason why i dont strap up, and that a reason why I dont have problems with my grip. I know that if I did strap up then I would probably increase my lifts but whats the point? But I guess its preference.

Last edited by Jwillstrong; 07-03-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Jwillstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
onetiredkris
Senior Member
Max Brawn
 
onetiredkris's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Hollywood, CA
Posts: 1,381
Reputation: 9751
onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
Do you let the rest of your body get weak because your grip is failing? I think not.
BING-muthafacking-GO

i cant have a successful back day without my straps.
__________________

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
Jwillstrong
Member
Brawn
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 62
Reputation: 648
Jwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetiredkris View Post
BING-muthafacking-GO

i cant have a successful back day without my straps.
Big difference between Strongman and bodybuilding. Walk with 270# per hand for 65' without straps. Its totally two different avenues bro.
Jwillstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
bwys61
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
 
bwys61's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,113
Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
Reputation: 26929
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine
Default

The Point is adaptation. The more you can pick up, the more your muscles will adapt. Even though, it seems that he is putting his grip at a disadvantage, that is incorrect. EX: 400lbs with straps will stimulate more than 300 pounds without. The major gripping muscles are still being worked harder, and even the will still have to work just as hard or not harder. If there is not a point to using straps, then what is the point of FORCED REPS, Assisted Chins/DIPS, wrist wraps, elbow or knee sleeves, and even a WEIGHT BELT?

ANSWER: to get somewhere that you havent been by pushing limits that you otherwise wouldn't without any of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwillstrong View Post
I'm just curious as to why you would strap up on farmers? I think you know that you cant strap up in competition, so why lift with them? I personally wouldn't strap up because really whats the point.
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
Jwillstrong
Member
Brawn
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 62
Reputation: 648
Jwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwys61 View Post
The Point is adaptation. The more you can pick up, the more your muscles will adapt. Even though, it seems that he is putting his grip at a disadvantage, that is incorrect. EX: 400lbs with straps will stimulate more than 300 pounds without. The major gripping muscles are still being worked harder, and even the will still have to work just as hard or not harder. If there is not a point to using straps, then what is the point of FORCED REPS, Assisted Chins/DIPS, wrist wraps, elbow or knee sleeves, and even a WEIGHT BELT?

ANSWER: to get somewhere that you havent been by pushing limits that you otherwise wouldn't without any of them.
Here you say "The more you pick up, the more your muscles will adapt." In competition you cannot use straps on farmers walk. So if you cant pick it up strapless then how will your muscles adapt. Its great and wonderful that you pick up a hell of a lot of weight with straps, but in competition there aint no straps. Only in deadlift and thats it!
Ok dont get me wrong on this. I didnt say that not using straps wasnt a good thing. Theres a time to use them and theres a time to ditch them. I just stated that in the sport of Strongman there is no point in using straps on farmers walk. It is an agility/grip event. So if you supplement straps in for farmers your really hindering yourself. Which its kinda pointless to go from 290without straps and then go 340 with straps. Theres no grip work there, so you arent improving yourself. You are totally right in adaptation. Lifting is all neurological, you have to literally feel the weight to lift the weight. For instance, The first time I tried lifting the 285# stone over 48" I didnt get it, so it took me 2 weeks to finally get it over. Its the same thing with farmers. Your exactly right also on "to get somewhere that you havent been by pushing limits that you otherwise wouldnt without any of them." Pushing the limits is being determined, so if you fail to get 360 on farmers you keep trying. If you dont get it that day, you put in the work, and you keep trying when they come back around. Im not doubting its a strong lift because it is, but it would be that much more impressive without straps. In the world of strongman there aint no straps on farmers. Plain and simple.
Here is a video of one of my friends in Fort Pierce, FL. He is also a fellow strongman. If you notice in the video he attempts 615# a lot, but one thing I noticed is that he didnt run and get his straps. He fought through it. Its all about PERSEVERANCE, HARD WORKING BABY!!!
TRAIN HARD AND STAY HUMBLE!!!!!

Last edited by Jwillstrong; 07-03-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Jwillstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #9
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn
 
Craig Pfisterer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Camp Hill, PA
Posts: 592
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: ON's Pro Complex Gainer
Reputation: 15888
Craig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributor
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwillstrong View Post
I'm just curious as to why you would strap up on farmers? I think you know that you cant strap up in competition, so why lift with them? I personally wouldn't strap up because really whats the point.
Not entirely true. At least two contests this year have allowed straps on the farmer's walk event. Now I don't agree with doing farmer's with straps as I like the grip aspect but it is used in some contests.

As far as the point, Tony has already mentioned that he does it as a supramaximal exercise to get used to the weight and it will help strengthen his lower back, legs and upperback more than if he did it without the straps (if grip is in fact his problem). I know that in Tony's case it's due to the knuling/taped handles that tend to tear calluses on his particular farmer's handles that he straps up to spare his hands, not his grip. I know of another person who will strap up for farmer's to work the hips and ankles extra hard while sparing the grip (they do grip stuff on a different day and lack access to a yoke). Other reasons are using them to train for other events like a makeshift car deadlift or makeshift frame lift/carry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwillstrong View Post
Ok I see what your saying but picking up 360 is different than sprinting with 300. Your pickup on 300 will be quicker but I dont think it will increase your time for distance. The thing is with picking up 360 your feeling the weight for 2 seconds and then you drop. It would be different if you held it for 10-30 seconds.
That is just picks and you are right that that won't necessarily translate over to being faster with say 300lbs per hand. It is just training one aspect of the farmer's walk event. I know that you are using a modified version of that template C.J. Murphy wrote for strongman training so you do have an understanding of undulated periodization on the moving events. Heavy short, light long, heavy long and light short right? Some weeks you work on technique and foot transition speed and other it's just brute strength. It can be broken down more if you can identify weak points (pick up, foot work, breathing, upperback, turns, etc.) but it works well as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwillstrong View Post
Well why not go strapless on deadlifts to improve your grip? Why not work on that weakness? Not only just doing grip work but in your lifts also. I personally wouldnt let my body get weak because my grip is failing but thats the reason why i dont strap up, and that a reason why I dont have problems with my grip. I know that if I did strap up then I would probably increase my lifts but whats the point? But I guess its preference.
My grip has improved since I started using straps. By using straps, I've been able to work on building up my back (especially upper back) and that has translated over to a stronger grip for me. Now I don't just strap up right away, I do things double overhand until I feel I can't get the required reps (usually triples) and then go to straps. I improved my farmer's walk by 40lbs per hand in about 4.5 months (August 09 to December 09) by incorporating rack pulls with lots of band tension. I used straps to keep my spine from rotating by favoring one side with the alternated grip which is why I favor double overhand (besides going for a max deadlift). It also allows me to put more effort into grip things.
__________________
"Strongman is stupid."
- Mike Jenkins
Craig Pfisterer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
 
BendtheBar's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 79,948
Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
Reputation: 2584002
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Pfisterer View Post

My grip has improved since I started using straps. By using straps,
I'm in this camp. I am not a pure powerlifting and have never trained for strongman, but I consider myself reasonable strong for an old fart powerbuilder.

I trained without straps for over 22 years. Last year my overall strength started to quickly surpass my grip strength. I would fail deadlift sets and barbell rows because of grip. So for a year or so I debated using straps. I simply hated not being able to strengthen my back because of grip limitations.

Training with Versa Gripps, my deadlift totals have rocketed up, and I am now able to do more reps on RDLs, shrugs and back movements as well. And I feel my grip strength improving, because of this. I can do static holds after deadlifts, and feel wicked forearm pumps.

The bottom line for me will always be the deadlift. When I dump the straps now and try a single, my grip doesn't feel like an issue.

I can't say this is the best route for everyone, but the flexibility that straps provide allows me to train longer and get stronger. Straps appear to be helping my grip.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."



Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-04-2010 at 12:26 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
farmer, straps, walk


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Straps biggereachday Muscle Building and Bodybuilding 11 07-14-2012 04:02 PM
Hooks vs. straps MVP Powerlifting & Strength Training 4 03-25-2012 02:33 PM
You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk Bodybygamma General Board 2 01-30-2011 05:48 PM
Farmers walk training vids Marc Powerlifting & Strength Training 0 06-22-2010 08:11 PM
A Walk Down Memory Lane - Lee Labrada’s Past Olympia Performances in YouTube Dork McSchlorp General Board 0 08-29-2009 12:03 PM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.