Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #21
Jwillstrong
Brawn
Points: 288, Level: 5 Points: 288, Level: 5 Points: 288, Level: 5
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Jwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality posts

Well all I have to say is whatever floats your boat. Thats great that you dont care about grip. Grip is a main factor in strongman. I personally dont care about powerlifting because im not competing for powerlifting. Im competing for strongman. Im sorry if I see a weakness in my game and I look to improve it. Yes, its the love of lifting but if i'm the type of person that if I have a contest coming up then Im looking to win. Its just being competitive. So whatever your personal gains are that is your business. I guess other strongmen and I have different perceptions of the implements used and how you train with them. You train like you compete.
Jwillstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #22
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwillstrong View Post
Well all I have to say is whatever floats your boat. Thats great that you dont care about grip. Grip is a main factor in strongman. I personally dont care about powerlifting because im not competing for powerlifting. Im competing for strongman. Im sorry if I see a weakness in my game and I look to improve it. Yes, its the love of lifting but if i'm the type of person that if I have a contest coming up then Im looking to win. Its just being competitive. So whatever your personal gains are that is your business. I guess other strongmen and I have different perceptions of the implements used and how you train with them. You train like you compete.
How many competitions have you actually done? Training and competition are two completely different things. You can not train for every factor of competition, not every farmers walk has the same size handles, or beams or pick, or knurling. Not every tire is the same shape size or tread. You can not predict the weather, events are always subject to change. I have done a 620lbs deadlift with no straps and no grip, no hitch perfectly clean, I have done 300lbs farmers for 20+ft in competition with some of the hardest farmers handles on the east-coast courtesy of team bixler.

Shame Romano in training did 300lbs farmers 60ft with a turn no drops and then did another 20-40ft back, at the competition he dropped the farmers after 20ish feet, not because of grip, because he hit his legs so hard when walking he just dropped them, because they were cylinders and he didn't let them get steady before he sprinted. Issue had nothing to do with grip.

You can train to win stupid trophies in selected competitions you specifically train for but that isn't being strong, that is being technically sound and prepared. And perhaps you don't compete in powerlifting because your are weak or have weakness' in the 3 lifts. Or perhaps if you trained for both it would be very hard for your body to recover. Or why do snatch's if your not an Olympic lifter? You can't hook grip a log or an axle, and its not the same thing as working on your clean,But I don't really try to analyze your goals and purposes and tear apart your training,and insult your lifts and #'s because I try to show respect to fellow lifters and competitors. Constructive criticism is one thing, out right ignorance is another.

You don't have any lifts even close to mine,your lifts aren't even good or sound enough to win a competition against the average lw's in the nas,yet you insist on demeaning the credibility of a 360 farmers deadlift because I used straps when I doubt you ever even picked up 300lbs in each hand ever before. Asking questions is one thing, insulting the grip and training style of a more stronger lifter then yourself is rude, insulting and shows immaturity and lack of respect for your fellow lifter.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #23
bwys61
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

Straps not only will help improve your strength by allowing more load, but it will also help speed recovery to keep the grip from being "overtrained." Your grip will adapt eventually if you keep adding weight to the bar.
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:16 PM   #24
Jwillstrong
Brawn
Points: 288, Level: 5 Points: 288, Level: 5 Points: 288, Level: 5
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Jwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
How many competitions have you actually done? Training and competition are two completely different things. You can not train for every factor of competition, not every farmers walk has the same size handles, or beams or pick, or knurling. Not every tire is the same shape size or tread. You can not predict the weather, events are always subject to change. I have done a 620lbs deadlift with no straps and no grip, no hitch perfectly clean, I have done 300lbs farmers for 20+ft in competition with some of the hardest farmers handles on the east-coast courtesy of team bixler.

Shame Romano in training did 300lbs farmers 60ft with a turn no drops and then did another 20-40ft back, at the competition he dropped the farmers after 20ish feet, not because of grip, because he hit his legs so hard when walking he just dropped them, because they were cylinders and he didn't let them get steady before he sprinted. Issue had nothing to do with grip.

You can train to win stupid trophies in selected competitions you specifically train for but that isn't being strong, that is being technically sound and prepared. And perhaps you don't compete in powerlifting because your are weak or have weakness' in the 3 lifts. Or perhaps if you trained for both it would be very hard for your body to recover. Or why do snatch's if your not an Olympic lifter? You can't hook grip a log or an axle, and its not the same thing as working on your clean,But I don't really try to analyze your goals and purposes and tear apart your training,and insult your lifts and #'s because I try to show respect to fellow lifters and competitors. Constructive criticism is one thing, out right ignorance is another.

You don't have any lifts even close to mine,your lifts aren't even good or sound enough to win a competition against the average lw's in the nas,yet you insist on demeaning the credibility of a 360 farmers deadlift because I used straps when I doubt you ever even picked up 300lbs in each hand ever before. Asking questions is one thing, insulting the grip and training style of a more stronger lifter then yourself is rude, insulting and shows immaturity and lack of respect for your fellow lifter.
The only time I insulted you was saying you needed tougher skin, which is proving to be true. I did say that you ran to get your straps, which I thought was kinda funny. You take constructive criticism and take it as insulting. No, I havent done a strongman contest. Ive been doing strongman for 3 months, but I take advice from whoever I can get it from and try to find someway to implement it into my training. I have experienced strongmen, one that place very high at nationals, that are helping me along the way. Im not here to get into a who's badder contest. I merely stated a point and stuck to my guns on what I thought. I still think im right. Im going to believe lifters that have credibility, not some 21 year old kid that has to have a "bendy" bar to have an impressived deadlift. Again Im not going to stoop to your level because its a waste of time. You could use just a bit of humility. Oh and I appreciate the motivation, because I am very close to most of your strongman lifts. I will hit those numbers very soon believe me, at my current weight of 195#.

TRAIN HARD AND STAY HUMBLE!!

Last edited by Jwillstrong; 07-05-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Jwillstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:47 PM   #25
Marc
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Marc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributor

Quote:

You used straps so I discount that lift as well, no need to be so harsh towards people though man, we are all here training and everyone can learn something from everyone on here. There is always going to be someone who will outlift you, difference is I dont see him on here bad mouthing you about it? So there is no need for it period. This thread is not to argue about whos di*k is bigger, it is to discuss the use of straps in a particular strongman event. To which most people agree, it is silly. If your opinion differs that is wonderful I will take what you have to say for what it's worth as I would with anything anyone has to say, but that doesnt mean people will agree with you. To me using straps when training Strongman events is like an NBA player practicing for a dunk contest with a 6ft tall basketball hoop... Train hard, get along and never discount someone else's opinions or advice just because you may be able to lift slightly more. We are all here together as a family lets not turn this into another bodybuilding.com

Last edited by Marc; 07-05-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:47 AM   #26
Nobbit
Brawn
Points: 474, Level: 9 Points: 474, Level: 9 Points: 474, Level: 9
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Nobbit has made some quality postsNobbit has made some quality postsNobbit has made some quality postsNobbit has made some quality postsNobbit has made some quality postsNobbit has made some quality posts

Quote:

My only reply is to this post. JWillStrong is my training partner, I write the our workouts up, and I help guide his training. I have competed in powerlifting for ten years, over 30 contests. I've competed in as many strongman contests as you have, and have helped run a couple others. I believe I have some credibility. In my opinion he could hold his own now, after 3 months of training, against any group of average LW competitors in NAS or any other organization. His deadlift is higher than yours pound for pound, and he has picked up 300 pounds per hand on farmers deadlift.
All that being said, who cares. Lighten up guys, both of you. We are all strongman competitors. In my opinion the most tight knit of the muscle/strength world. There are many different ways and theories of training, look around, take what works for you and discard the rest. There's no reason to get nasty.
And on the topic of the original post, I don't believe in strapping on farmers anything. Strapping on deads and rows I don't have a particular problem with.
Nobbit is offline   Reply With Quote