Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:01 PM   #11
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post

For me, its as soon as I pick them up the sooner I can start moving with them, so for me the Farmers Pick/Deadlift, is more important then the walk itself in the training stages I am in.

Better example is after Yoke on 1:12 I believe
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #12
onetiredkris
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Do you let the rest of your body get weak because your grip is failing? I think not.
BING-muthafacking-GO

i cant have a successful back day without my straps.

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #13
Jwillstrong
Brawn
Points: 288, Level: 5 Points: 288, Level: 5 Points: 288, Level: 5
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Jwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Pfisterer View Post
Not entirely true. At least two contests this year have allowed straps on the farmer's walk event. Now I don't agree with doing farmer's with straps as I like the grip aspect but it is used in some contests.

As far as the point, Tony has already mentioned that he does it as a supramaximal exercise to get used to the weight and it will help strengthen his lower back, legs and upperback more than if he did it without the straps (if grip is in fact his problem). I know that in Tony's case it's due to the knuling/taped handles that tend to tear calluses on his particular farmer's handles that he straps up to spare his hands, not his grip. I know of another person who will strap up for farmer's to work the hips and ankles extra hard while sparing the grip (they do grip stuff on a different day and lack access to a yoke). Other reasons are using them to train for other events like a makeshift car deadlift or makeshift frame lift/carry.
Ok 95% of strongman contests are raw on farmers. There are a lot of contests out there. The whole point I was trying to make was if the majority of your contests are raw on farmers then you dont need to use straps. Another point is that its fine and wonderful that hes trying to strengthen his posterior chain, but what if a contest calls for max farmers deadlift? You not going to do the contest? If you are trying to increase strength on your normal lifts or assistance work (like strapping up on farmers to work hips), go for it, by all means. Those are really your assistance exercises, but we arent doing multiple reps here. We are doing a 1RM on an implement that at a majority of contests call to be a raw lift. Theres a place for them but theres got to be a time where you dont run to get the straps because something is hard. Once again though, you are handicapping yourself by using straps. Ive said that theres a place for straps and then theres a time to ditch them. In the world of strongman I feel that if that is a weakness then you need to work on that weakness. You dont need to run and get your straps when you feel that you cant pick up the weight. That is something you need to work on. Dont get me wrong, I have my weaknesses. Im improving on them also. My Dad, who is a monster, has always told me that if something is easy then its not good for you, but if its hard then its improving you. Grip is essential in strongman. Why not have a regular olympic bar in strongman? There's an axle (fat bar) C&P for a reason, its testing your grip abililty to clean that weight off the ground. Oh and the ripping of calluses thats kinda cute, thats what super glue is made for.
Jwillstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #14
Jwillstrong
Brawn

Jwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetiredkris View Post
BING-muthafacking-GO

i cant have a successful back day without my straps.
Big difference between Strongman and bodybuilding. Walk with 270# per hand for 65' without straps. Its totally two different avenues bro.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #15
Jwillstrong
Brawn

Quote:
YouTube - Random training

Better example is after Yoke on 1:12 I believe
Bro. You're proving me right on the 270#, you went probably 30' and dropped, repicked and went the rest of the distance. Thats time in a contest that can decide between 1st and 2nd place.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #16
Jwillstrong
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Pfisterer View Post
My grip has improved since I started using straps. By using straps, I've been able to work on building up my back (especially upper back) and that has translated over to a stronger grip for me. Now I don't just strap up right away, I do things double overhand until I feel I can't get the required reps (usually triples) and then go to straps. I improved my farmer's walk by 40lbs per hand in about 4.5 months (August 09 to December 09) by incorporating rack pulls with lots of band tension. I used straps to keep my spine from rotating by favoring one side with the alternated grip which is why I favor double overhand (besides going for a max deadlift). It also allows me to put more effort into grip things.
I just dont see how you think using straps improves your grip. Its really common sense, you have something wrapped around the weight, which is handicapping your grip. A couple of questions I have to ask are. Do you strap up on farmers? Do you do grip work consistently? If you do strap up on farmers and a lot of your lifts then bro instead of a jump of 40# per hand, maybe it could have been 50# per hand or maybe more. Maybe that PR would have came in a month or 2 months, instead of 4.5 months. If you do grip work consistently then you are putting in the work. From personal experience, I have went from 220# per hand to 270# per hand for 50' in about 3 months. The thing that kept me from going that extra 15' was grip. It slipped out of my hands, so your telling me to use straps and i'll increase my grip strength. If I used straps the whole time,ditched them, and then went and tried going 270# I would have went half that distance. Straps are used for guys that are going for reps so they can go to failure without their grip failing on them. Strongmen arent bodybuilders. Its apples and oranges.

I actually emailed one of my pro strongman friends about all of this. His name is Grant Higa, sponsored by ANIMAL., wrote a couple of articles for animalpak.com.
So I ask the question: "Bro Im just curious as to would you ever strap up on max farmers deadlifts? I personally think it would be a waste of time to strap up. Farmers is a grip/ agility event. My feeling on it is that if you cant hang on to the weight then you cant pick it up. You need to put more time and effort into your grip work because thats a weakness in your game. Tell me if i'm delusional or what. Ive got a debate going on with this. Im not saying straps are a bad thing but I feel thats there a time to use them and a time to ditch them. Thanks bro. ANIMAL. 4 LIFE!"

He responds: "AGREED. If you can't pick them up raw, why bother? It won't happen in the contest, if you can't pick it up in training. People are stupid for thinking this will help their grip.
---HIGA"
Old 07-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #17
Jwillstrong
Brawn

Default Another strongman

I recently just got done talking with Rob Orlando. Some of you may know him. Hes a strongman gone crossfit. This guy is beastly strong. At 185# he C&J 300#x3. At 185# he did 670#x65'. He still does strongman twice a week. He entered a strongman contest about 6 months ago and won 1st place. Hes a wrecking ball, and one of the strongest guys out there to be at that weight setting some great PR's.

I asked him when he was strictly doing strongman if he ever used straps on farmers, and he told me no he didnt. His reasoning was it was a grip event. He would use them on his assistance lifts only if he had to. He went on to tell me that his brother in law strapped up on farmers with 330# per hand, and actually dislocated both his shoulders. So all my fellow strongmen are saying no to strapping up on farmers. Ill keep asking around!
Old 07-04-2010, 11:24 PM   #18
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn
Points: 4,544, Level: 42 Points: 4,544, Level: 42 Points: 4,544, Level: 42
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: ON's Pro Complex Gainer
Craig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwillstrong View Post
Do you strap up on farmers?
No. I never said I did.
Quote:
Do you do grip work consistently?
Other than regular gym work, no.
Quote:
If you do strap up on farmers and a lot of your lifts then bro instead of a jump of 40# per hand, maybe it could have been 50# per hand or maybe more. Maybe that PR would have came in a month or 2 months, instead of 4.5 months.
That was merely an example from the period when I first introduced straps.

I don't really care what Grant Higa or Rob Orlando think on the matter as my experience shows differently. I know others do not get the same benefits as I do in their grip as I do with straps. I recently picked up 370lbs per hand on 2" farmer's walk handles and I'd say that's results enough for me. I'm actually not sure why there is this argument over who is right when there appear to be many paths. I'm out.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:29 AM   #19
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member
Default My last say in this thread

I was using Farmers Deadlifts as a westside conjugate method template alternative for my deadlift, where every two weeks, instead of one, I add 10-20lbs each side and go for a one rep max, because I want to relax my actual deadlifts for awhile, and get my body accustomed to frames and farmers, exercise had nothing to do with grip or training my farmers walk other then my start and getting my body braced for the switch in training.

And not to bash other or Stronger Strongmen then I, but I don't care what the opinions are of one dimensional lifters are. I compete in powerlifting and strongman;one day will do the highland games,and if I ever hone my technique will even try oly lifting but I only care about one thing, SMASHING ****ING WEIGHTS! That is it I want to lift the heaviest amounts of weight possible, I personally don't care if I used reversed bands the guy in the deadlift video did, which take off a considerable amount of weight or the top, or if I used tacky and lifting hooks to lift heavier weight. I don't care about the grip fanatics who can roll frying pans and hold on to things but stop when there grip does.All I care about is moving said amount of weight from point A to point B stimulating my CNS and then doing it again later in life.

I don't compete to win contests, I compete to push myself and lift something heavier then I did the last time.

I don't really see how using straps is such a big ****ing deal in training and just failing a lift reaches the body to be a quitter, sorry but I rather finish my damn lift no matter what I have to use, and not rip the skin off my hands and ruin 2 weeks of training for being an idiot.

I paid my damn dues.
Attached Thumbnails
hand of doom (avatar).jpg  
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #20
Marc
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Marc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributor

ON an event where there are NO straps allowed, then I would say do NOT ever use them in your training. Their s no reason, what so ever. If anything it is hurting you because your grip strength isnt going to progress as fast if you are relying on straps. Doesnt matter if you can farmers walk 300 in each hand if you cant even do 200 without your straps there is no point. I have to this day not used straps on anything and I can say it has done wonders for my grip, there is no way I would have the grip strength and endurance I do now had I been using other aids such as straps.. Now as for bodybuilding, sure I dont see a reason not to use straps on whatever you feel necesary, you arent relying on the grip factor in competitions. I think this thread kind of strayed away from the original comment for a bit, and became more of a straps in general convo. But as for the OP, worst idea ever to start using something like that on event training.

Last edited by Marc; 07-05-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote