Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Muscle and Strength Building Myths (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3608)

BendtheBar 06-22-2010 10:42 AM

Muscle and Strength Building Myths

What muscle and strength building myths drive you crazy/annoy you?

big_swede 06-22-2010 10:58 AM

Dont know if its exactly a myth but lots of people seems to ask the question "why dont i grow? i do exactly as written in this or that program, im eating good! (chicken n veggies 2 times a day and 2000cal a day is not good jack ass!) but im still benching 3x8 145lbs and ive been lifting for 3 years now! How can this be?", people need to man the f*ck up and realise that half the work is done outside the gym, in bed and by the dinner table! AND lift some heavy ass weight! Got carried away here but as you can se this annoys me =)

BendtheBar 06-22-2010 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_swede (Post 64906)
Dont know if its exactly a myth but lots of people seems to ask the question "why dont i grow? i do exactly as written in this or that program, im eating good! (chicken n veggies 2 times a day and 2000cal a day is not good jack ass!) but im still benching 3x8 145lbs and ive been lifting for 3 years now! How can this be?", people need to man the f*ck up and realise that half the work is done outside the gym, in bed and by the dinner table! AND lift some heavy ass weight! Got carried away here but as you can se this annoys me =)

I see that issue quite a bit as well. You're exactly right...most issues boil down to eating and lifting more.

IronManlet 06-22-2010 11:18 AM

Powerlifters are only strong because of their fat.

Size = strength

Everyone has a genetic limit on their strength gains.

Somatotypes are a good indicator of how you should train/how your body will respond to training.

You need supplements.

Lifting light weights for lots of reps will make your muscles bigger.

BendtheBar 06-22-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronManlet (Post 64909)

Everyone has a genetic limit on their strength gains.

This is an interesting topic. While it has been shown that muscle gains are pretty much finite for a natural, the same doesn't appear to be true for strength.

Sure, a natural can't squat 2000 pounds, but...a natural that can squat 600 can probably squat 601, and 602, and 605...etc.

The extreme freaks in natural strength training really smash the curve.

BendtheBar 06-22-2010 11:28 AM

My least favorite myth is that low reps don't build size.

My main problem with this myth is the reality that most powerlifters don't train 100% in the 1-3 rep range, so by it's very nature, this statement is idiotic on many levels.

IronManlet 06-22-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 64910)
This is an interesting topic. While it has been shown that muscle gains are pretty much finite for a natural, the same doesn't appear to be true for strength.

Sure, a natural can't squat 2000 pounds, but...a natural that can squat 600 can probably squat 601, and 602, and 605...etc.

The extreme freaks in natural strength training really smash the curve.

It's directly tied to the fact that size=/=strength. There are a lot of professional athletes who are at their genetic limit for size but are stll making big gains in strength.

There are countless instances of people surpassing limits and many notable exceptions to so-called "rules" in the bodybuilding/strength training industry that are merely passed off as "genetic exceptions". It's really just an excuse for the people who aren't willing to try hard enough; they blame gentics as an excuse for their own pussiness.

Also, if you look back a while in history, you will note that many feats of strength we see in modern times were common 200 years ago. Men have been growing weaker, and we are impressed with less than we used to be.

I personally don't believe in any limits as far as strength goes. It may take longer for some, but strength will always come regardless of size; and it will keep coming if you do it right.

BendtheBar 06-22-2010 12:29 PM

This might not be popular, but I personally don't believe isolation exercises carry much value. They can be good for pre-hab, rehab, and they may build muscle, but compared to compound lifts, I simply don't feel that they carry enough comparable value to be utilized in mass building routine.

Bottom line...there are too many quality compound lifts. I have never seen the point in performing 9 sets of presses and then 4 sets of cable crossovers.

RickB 06-22-2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronManlet (Post 64909)

Lifting light weights for lots of reps will make your muscles bigger.

My name is Rick....and the bulk of my workouts are with what many consider light weights and higher reps. It works for me although I throw a PL type set or two in the mix sometimes. ;)

And no, I'm no beast, but respectable...maybe :D :ms:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d..._jun21_gym.jpg

IronManlet 06-22-2010 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickB (Post 64942)
My name is Rick....and the bulk of my workouts are with what many consider light weights and higher reps. It works for me although I throw a PL type set or two in the mix sometimes. ;)

And no, I'm no beast, but respectable...maybe :D :ms:

Some nice size there, man.

Thing is, I'm a big believer in high volume and heavy weights combined. Most people will do one or the other.

But I don't always train like that myself; size is not my main concern.