Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:23 AM   #21
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
"Women shouldn't do heavy weights, they'll bulk up." Thus endless hours on the treadmill...
I hear this one a lot. "I want to tone but not bulk up."

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2010, 06:45 AM   #22
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetiredkris View Post
I cant imagine a successful bodybuilder who never flys/curls/leg extensions.
When I'm done cutting you'll see one

And we'll have to agree to disagree on this topic.

There can be a time and place for isolation lifts, I use them occasionally for prehab/rehab/deload work. But as mass builders I think they are a waste. There are just too many solid compound lifts I would rather perform.

Not all isolation movements are useless. Curls, calves work, skullcrushers, etc., have value. What I am against is the frilly abuse of isolations for chest and shoulders. Far too many guys overkill their chest, and add in 3 isolation lifts for moar! And for shoulders..well, it's usually overhead press, lateral and lateral.

I think the guys abusing them for chest and shoulders tend to abuse them elsewhere. I guess it is this mindset I am against, moreso then the occasional wise use of isolations. I strongly dislike seeing 90 minute daily training programs stuffed with 5 isolation lifts. I just don't see the point - for naturals, that is.

I would argue that most current, successful bodybuilders wouldn't have needed any isolation lifts.

The bodybuilders prior to the steroid era used very few isolation lifts. There are decades of built lifters prior to the 70's who performed very few if any isolation lifts. Even many of the lifters from the 70's build their physiques on old school 2 and 3 times per week training with few isolations, including Oliva and Arnold. In his later years, Arnold started pumping, and doing more isolations, but he was pretty much built by then. I would argue Arnold built 90% of his base training like Reg Park. Here he is at 18:

For example, the York courses were primarily like this:

Quote:
Course 3. 6 weeks, 3 Workouts per week

1. Squat: 4 sets of 8 reps (Superset, alternate with exercise #2.)
2. Pullover: 4 sets of 10 reps
3. Bent Arm Pullover: 3 sets of 8 reps
4. Bench Press: 4 sets of 8 reps
5. Dips: 3 sets of 10 reps
6. Dumbell Bench Press: 4 sets of 8 reps
7. Barbell Curl: 4 sets of 8 reps
8. Two Hands Dumbell Curl: 4 sets of 10 reps
Arnold built his mass on routines like:

The Real Arnold Schwarzenegger Beginner Programs Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding and Powerlifting.

Quote:
Workout A

Back Squats 5×5
Chin-Ups or Pull-Ups 5×5
Dips or Bench Press 5×5
Wrist Work (Grip Work) 2×10
Calves 2×15-20

Workout B

Front Squats 5×5
Rows 5×5
Standing Press 5×5
Deadlifts 3×5 (2 warm-up sets and 1 “stabilizer set”)
Wrist Work 2×10
Calves 2×15-20
John Grimek’s primary exercises included presses, dumbbell presses, squats, power cleans, deadlifts, snatches, barbell bent over rowing and curls. He did very little else, and was always focused on adding more weight to the bar, eating enough food, and getting plenty of rest.

Sergio Oliva relied heavily on compound lifts.

Sergio Oliva Training Routine Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding and Powerlifting.

Attached Thumbnails
11865young_arnold_schwarzenegger.jpg  

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 06-25-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:08 PM   #23
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I apologize for leaving such a half ass not well thought out comment. Some isolation exercises have good value and I don't believe you van train 100 percent with compounds. I am simply against wasteful routines with too many isolations. You obviously need them for biceps etc
Old 06-25-2010, 01:08 PM   #24
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

i agree..compound lifts are key! IMO when it comes to isolation movements especially with the chest and shoulders people over do it. For chest they'll do bench press, but then after that go to flat flyes, incline flyes, cable cross over, pretty much over kill on the isolation movement.

In my program, I choose to do either 1 or 2 chest isolation movements after my presses. I figure if i feel like i could do more chest if i choose to do 2 isolation movements then it is obvious that i didnt go hard enough in my workout.

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:42 PM   #25
bas781
Brawn
Points: 689, Level: 13 Points: 689, Level: 13 Points: 689, Level: 13
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
bas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
"Women shouldn't do heavy weights, they'll bulk up." Thus endless hours on the treadmill...

There's a blog all about crossfit women, and the guy posted a youtube vid of a woman attempting a double bodyweight deadlift. Bulky she ain't.

All was looking good, and then the attached ad popped up. Reality vs marketing.

Just thought it was funny
She has great form and I'm not necessarily talking about the deadlift.

Crossfit makes women insanely hot. Guys need to do SS before doing a lot of CF though methinks (from experience).
bas781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:53 PM   #26
Kyle Aaron
community gym PT
Brawn
Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: milk
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas781 View Post
Crossfit makes women insanely hot. Guys need to do SS before doing a lot of CF though methinks (from experience).
Crossfit: making women hot and men weak since 1995. And injuring both of them.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #27
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I hear this one a lot. "I want to tone but not bulk up."
Yes, annoying. All innervated muscle has tone so really, this means nothing to me. Women that are afraid to lift anything heavier than a 1-lb. pink dumbbell for fear they'll become Tina Lockwood.

Oh yeah, and "muscle weighs more than fat." Dumbass, that's like saying "plastic weighs more than feathers." A pound of plastic weighs the same as a pound of feathers. A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. Jesus. I understand what they are trying to say, they're just saying it wrong. And it just irks me. Maybe it shouldn't, but it does. /rant

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:33 PM   #28
onetiredkris
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

Yeah, i definitely didnt say that isolations build more mass than compounds, as a matter of fact i said:
Quote:
(i am in no way saying iso > compound, or even close. im just saying it does have its place)
That york course you put is 50% isolations (pullovers,curls) =P
And we have all seen arnold reping out dumbbell flys.

i dunno, they have their place......

Edit: i actually posted a bunch of off topic crap and didnt see the title 'muscle and strength building myths' lol, i just meant from a body building perspective isolations have their place, just like assistance work has its place for pling

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

Last edited by onetiredkris; 06-25-2010 at 11:35 PM.
onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:18 AM   #29
styrkecoach
Brawn
Points: 1,557, Level: 22 Points: 1,557, Level: 22 Points: 1,557, Level: 22
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

styrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good posts

just to jump on the iso/compound discussion..

i think that every program need assistance exercices,
but the assistance exercises can be compound or iso, aslong as it brings up you weakness.

bad hamstrings? do SDL
if your back cant take it, then do leg curls.

lagging chest? i would do incline dumbellpress.
but if your shoulders and tri'c are to dominant, maybe do flyes.

in the long run, it just about bringing up your weaknesses.

if your a beginner the assistance should be strenght wize, beacuse your just to little to start worrying about symetri.
styrkecoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #30
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

One common myth is that you can only work certain bodyparts together like back and biceps or chest and triceps. As the weight gets heavier I find that some non-conventional splits actually work better for me.