Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Deadlifting Twice a Week (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3575)

BendtheBar 06-18-2010 07:33 AM

Deadlifting Twice a Week

Any thoughts on deadlift twice a week?

I know this goes against a lot of conventional thinking, but I handle the deadlift very well and have been thinking about trying a more Hepburn style approach as an experiment.

I was thinking:

Monday - Deadlift 6x3 @ 75% (ish)
Wednesday - Squats
Friday - Deadlift 5-8 singles @ 85% (ish)

jslep 06-18-2010 07:39 AM

damn man i was just thinking this same thing. i wonder how it would pan out. i seem to recover very well from the deads. probably better than any other lifts. i think i would shoot more for 65% and 85% though. and i don't think i'm gonna continue on the path of shooting for max effort for at least another 4 weeks or so. i'm gettin some elbow tendinitus from all the heavy bangin i've been doin.

CallmeKing 06-18-2010 07:40 AM

I deadlift close to twice a week. I say go for it!

Marc 06-18-2010 07:46 AM

I dont see why you couldnt do that... from a strength training standpoint that is.

BendtheBar 06-18-2010 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jslep (Post 64047)
damn man i was just thinking this same thing. i wonder how it would pan out. i seem to recover very well from the deads. probably better than any other lifts. i think i would shoot more for 65% and 85% though. and i don't think i'm gonna continue on the path of shooting for max effort for at least another 4 weeks or so. i'm gettin some elbow tendinitus from all the heavy bangin i've been doin.

I handle deadlifts MUCH better then squats. Heck, I think I handle deadlifts better then front squats.

Are you getting elbow tendinitis?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CallmeKing (Post 64048)
I deadlift close to twice a week. I say go for it!

Around what percentage are you lifting. You train to max at least once a week, correct?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc (Post 64050)
I dont see why you couldnt do that... from a strength training standpoint that is.

I think as long as my squat day isn't overblown my body would handle it well.

ricka182 06-18-2010 07:53 AM

I think that's a solid plan...although maybe move Fridays DLs to Thurday? Just thinking that after 85% singles on Friday, 2 days later and you'd be pumping out multiple sets at 75%, not too much lighter..

muscle_g 06-18-2010 07:54 AM

I deadlifted twice a week for years with good results. I'd do a heavy session and a light session 3 days later. But after I got up into heavier weights twice a week began to be too much for me, so I started deadlifting once a week, and now I've been deadlifting 2 weeks on and 1 week off doing heavy Good Mornings(or sometime Speed Pulls) on the 3rd week and I seem to like it alot

jwood 06-18-2010 07:59 AM

I deadlift twice a week with great results, sometimes even three times a week. I think it would work well for you.

BendtheBar 06-18-2010 08:08 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. The more I lift, the more I realize that bench and deadlift are my butter lifts. I think I have much room to improve on these lifts.

Squats...that's another thread. I rocketed to 500 and stalled this year.

jslep 06-18-2010 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 64055)

Are you getting elbow tendinitis?

yes but i think mine is worse after bench day. and i don't get it bad after deads anymore since i quit using straps.