Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:32 PM   #21
Marc
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Marc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
i honestly think it varies from person to person... at the weight i lift i couldnt DL max effort twice a week, but CMK does it twice a week often...

i can sqat multiple times in a week and be fine, when others have mentioned they could never do this...
Yea it Probably varies alot due to peoples different rates of muscular developement in a given area. Maybe one area is slightly behind the other or overcompensating etc, defenitely different from person to person, I was just speaking in general the DL is usually more taxing overall. I can see what you are saying though.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:46 PM   #22
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I'm a bit of an oddball when it comes to deadlifting. I think I could deadlift three times a week if I wanted to. I rarely feel any CNS issues or signs of overtraining.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:53 PM   #23
Marc
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn

Marc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I'm a bit of an oddball when it comes to deadlifting. I think I could deadlift three times a week if I wanted to. I rarely feel any CNS issues or signs of overtraining.
Weirdo
Old 06-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #24
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Weirdo
You sound like my wife now...

Old 06-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #25
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Quote:
Same. My back feels to soreness at all from Deadlifting yesterday.
IronManlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:02 PM   #26
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManlet View Post
Same. My back feels to soreness at all from Deadlifting yesterday.
How many reps were you using on your top sets?

I get sore from 5+ rep sets. From singles I never get sore. I think I actually handle heavy singles better.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:09 PM   #27
Marc
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn

Quote:

I get sore from 5+ rep sets. From singles I never get sore. I think I actually handle heavy singles better.
Same here, I recover alot faster and get sore less often the more weight but less reps I do... There has to be something to that..
Old 06-19-2010, 06:10 PM   #28
Marc
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn

Quote:
You sound like my wife now...
Old 06-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #29
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Quote:

Oops, I meant no* soreness at all.

Anything low-rep gets me sore immediately after the pull, but after a bit of movement/stretching it's gone and doesn't ever come back.

Yesterday was mostly singles, btw.
IronManlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:26 PM   #30
Kyle Aaron
community gym PT
Brawn
Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: milk
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
i honestly think it varies from person to person... at the weight i lift i couldnt DL max effort twice a week, but CMK does it twice a week often...

i can sqat multiple times in a week and be fine, when others have mentioned they could never do this...
I think people can build up their work capacity. A local coach talks about his experiences here. He mentions that his own son (weights something in the 70s kg) did a maximum deadlift attempt of 170kg and then couldn't manage a second and third attempt - not great for competition. So he put them all on an old-style routine with for example 1-2x20 breathing squats in each of three sessions a week. It worked, 8 months later his son did 200kg, 207.5kg, 212.5kg, and 215kg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar
I think I could deadlift three times a week if I wanted to. I rarely feel any CNS issues or signs of overtraining.
You probably have good nutrition and rest. Many people, including many lifters, have relatively poor nutrition and rest.

In the thread I linked above a guy complains about high lifting volume routines and then says he drank 3lt of milk and ate 1kg of meat every day - he doesn't mention fruit, vegetables, nuts and beans. Doesn't matter how much fuel you put through the engine if half the spark plugs aren't firing.

I don't say everyone could handle a high volume workload. But I think many more people could handle it than they imagine. I see this all the time in training people, you can see by their speed and smoothness of movement in a rep that they could do more reps - but left to themselves, they stop. So I say, "you have 3 more, keep going." They abuse me, keep going and complete those extra 3 reps.

People's physical limits are usually much higher than their mental limits. I know I train much harder with a decent training partner or coach/trainer watching over me.