Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:26 AM   #11
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Step1: Film your sets, and fix your form.

For bench make sure you use this check list:
EFS Classic: 12 Steps to a Bigger Bench

For deadlift:
Going Deeper into the Deadlift with Mark Rippetoe, Part 2

Step2: Speed work is great to do, but I would do it during the Wendler phases, of a program, would switch in deficit work as need be, but would prioritize speed. Assistance work
and such, should be experimented with, after a solid base has been made. And the basic compound movements aren't enough.

As long as extra calve work doesn't screw up your lifting go for it.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2010, 07:18 AM   #12
sneezingstardust
Max Brawn
Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44

sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
Step1: Film your sets, and fix your form.

For bench make sure you use this check list:
EFS Classic: 12 Steps to a Bigger Bench

For deadlift:
Going Deeper into the Deadlift with Mark Rippetoe, Part 2

Step2: Speed work is great to do, but I would do it during the Wendler phases, of a program, would switch in deficit work as need be, but would prioritize speed. Assistance work
and such, should be experimented with, after a solid base has been made. And the basic compound movements aren't enough.

As long as extra calve work doesn't screw up your lifting go for it.
I wish I could film at my gym! They've outlawed it I have to wait till I move in July.

Thanks for the links!

http://www.fortheloveofcookies.wordpress.com

-------

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them." - George Bernard Shaw

"Start wide, expand further, and never look back." -Arnold Schwarzenegger
sneezingstardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #13
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

I've had the same problems when i was powerlifting. I was lucky enough to have training partners so we for bench; pin presses, different board presses, worked alot on triceps.

Deadlift; we focused alot on rack pulls from different heights, goodmornings, low box squat.

I know you are doing madcow's program, but i'm one who likes to experiment with things. In my opinion, which others may not agree on, is to substitute some of those lifts with ones that help in your weaker areas, like instead of doin full deadlifts, do rack pulls from below the knee. Its all about trying to figure out what works best for you.

I feel if you want to do calf work, go right ahead! there's no law saying that you can't train your calves just because the madcow program doesnt have it in there.

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #14
bas781
Brawn
Points: 689, Level: 13 Points: 689, Level: 13 Points: 689, Level: 13
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
bas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good posts

Great thread & in an Arnold voice, "good advices."

I've had good results power cleaning to improve the deadlift though I know it's a technical oly lift and not for everyone.
bas781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #15
sneezingstardust
Max Brawn
Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44

sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaipa View Post
I've had the same problems when i was powerlifting. I was lucky enough to have training partners so we for bench; pin presses, different board presses, worked alot on triceps.

Deadlift; we focused alot on rack pulls from different heights, goodmornings, low box squat.

I know you are doing madcow's program, but i'm one who likes to experiment with things. In my opinion, which others may not agree on, is to substitute some of those lifts with ones that help in your weaker areas, like instead of doin full deadlifts, do rack pulls from below the knee. Its all about trying to figure out what works best for you.

I feel if you want to do calf work, go right ahead! there's no law saying that you can't train your calves just because the madcow program doesnt have it in there.
I prefer deadlifts much more. I'd rather just work up to them rather than doing rack pulls, I think.

I did some calf work yesterday as well I don't want to sub too much, because I was advised by countless people not to, so I think I'll just stick it out and see how it goes I guess.

http://www.fortheloveofcookies.wordpress.com

-------

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them." - George Bernard Shaw

"Start wide, expand further, and never look back." -Arnold Schwarzenegger
sneezingstardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #16
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezingstardust View Post
I prefer deadlifts much more. I'd rather just work up to them rather than doing rack pulls, I think.

I did some calf work yesterday as well I don't want to sub too much, because I was advised by countless people not to, so I think I'll just stick it out and see how it goes I guess.
with consistent training im sure your numbers will go up, just gotta keep working at it.

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:23 PM   #17
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Have you tried this variant of the deadlift?

I would be anxious to hear from the experts on this. I think Rippetoe suggests working up to 85% or so of your 1RM deadlift weight and going for work sets of 8 reps or so. Maybe try them after your deads, or alternate weeks. I suppose you could slip them in at the end of the "Friday" workout.

As to calves. This is just my very humble opinion, but to me, nothing works the calves like actual travailing under a heavy set of squats or deadlifts. They have to be max sets. Where you wonder if you can even keep your balance. You're running madcow now? Then your time for these sets are coming very soon.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:35 AM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Those halting deads look like a 2/3rds Romanian deadlift. His legs are staying pretty much in the same spot throughout the movement. I am a big fan of RDLs in general. The only thing that would concern me with the halting approach is that you never get to stand up and take the weight/strain off your lower back. So I'm not sure that it's a good heavy weight movement. But I reserve the right to be wrong.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:18 AM   #19
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Those halting deads look like a 2/3rds Romanian deadlift. His legs are staying pretty much in the same spot throughout the movement. I am a big fan of RDLs in general. The only thing that would concern me with the halting approach is that you never get to stand up and take the weight/strain off your lower back. So I'm not sure that it's a good heavy weight movement. But I reserve the right to be wrong.
They resemble the RDL, except that the weight is deloaded on the floor each rep. It depends on your approach to RDL's though. I think of them more as an upper half exercise. Meaning that, for me, I lower the weight just below my knees, and work the upper half of the lift. To me, the haltings resemble a lower half of the lift. I'd be willing to use much more weight on the haltings than I do RDL's just because of the fact that the weight gets deloaded on every rep.

I'm not saying that haltings are a good exercise. I've never done them, but I think Rippetoe has some good things to say about them. So who's to argue? They may be a good exercise to help develop the pull off the ground. But then again they may be complete and utter crap. I just thought they might be worth a try for Sneezy, and they seem to make a whole bunch more sense to her issue than doing rack pulls.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote