Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
JesseA
Über Member
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

JesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributor
Default Belt or No Belt?

What is your opinion on weight belts?

I've never used one, but just ordered an EliteFTS retro belt. My reason: I want to squat over 400 lbs, and plan on using it for 90%+ 1RM or 'repping out'.

For those of you who've lifted with a belt, do you think it serves as a safety mechanism, or is it just an aide to lift more weight?
JesseA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2009, 02:04 AM   #2
BRaWNy
Pain Master
Max Brawn
Points: 3,850, Level: 39 Points: 3,850, Level: 39 Points: 3,850, Level: 39

Training Exp: ~23 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Back Squat
Fav Supp: Fish-oils
BRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
For those of you who've lifted with a belt, do you think it serves as a safety mechanism, or is it just an aide to lift more weight?
For me, as I see it, it is the second (just an aide to lift more weight).

I don't use a belt either, except only for the reason above.
BRaWNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:23 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I'm with Brawny. I see it only as an aid for more weight. I own a 4" power belt but use it rarely...only when I am going hardcore on deadlift or squat.

The debate is hot over belt use for others reasons though, as most of you know. Some say it weakens the abs and back, some say it prevents injuries. I'm not really sure if it does either. So let the debate rage on.

Here are a couple study results that hint at applications for weight trainers:

Quote:
American Airlines' baggage handlers found no difference wearing the belt in terms of injury rates and days off. (from Applied Ergonomics)
Quote:
A 6-year study of workers at Tinker Air Force Base concluded that workers' injuries while wearing a belt were more expensive than their injuries while not wearing a belt.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
JesseA
Über Member
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36

JesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributor

Thanks for your input, I've always been suspect of a simple belt being able to prevent any sort of injury. You would probably need to be in a full back brace that would completely immobilize the lumbar and t-spine to truly prevent an injury.

For me, just the possibility of being able to pull or squat more weight is enough reason to at least own a belt.

I doubt that even if you wore a belt for every lift that ab development would be somehow inhibited, as just by wearing a belt doesn't mean your abs stop firing.
JesseA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
BRaWNy
Pain Master
Max Brawn
Points: 3,850, Level: 39 Points: 3,850, Level: 39 Points: 3,850, Level: 39

Training Exp: ~23 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Back Squat
Fav Supp: Fish-oils
BRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributor

I think excess use of a belt can more easily lead to injury or put some muscles in a risk position, because some muscles do not do the job because of the belt (the belt does the job for them), so they don't have a stimuli needed to become stronger, and they remain weaker proportionally.
You have to use your "physical" belt of the muscles in the area, so that these muscles don't become a weak link in the chain, if you know what I mean.

I work mostly without belt for this reason, but it's OK to wear a belt at the very heavy weights, just to aid for lifting more weight, and it won't have a negative impact to the reason above.

Sorry for my English, sometimes it's a little bit difficult to explain what I think and mean, it's not my "mother" language.

PS.I didn't saw the post of MaB before I posted

Last edited by BRaWNy; 07-22-2009 at 12:27 PM.
BRaWNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Brawny...you English is fine. And we are glad you're hear. Your knowledge is invaluable.

I think your point is key..."excess use" is something I would consider to be bad. I used to wear a belt during every workout, regardless of body part I was training. That to me equals excess in extreme.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #7
rippednmichigan
Social Media Manager/REP
Max Brawn
Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: EFX K-Otic Orange Ambush
rippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beast

I wear mine on back day just because I have back problems sometimes.
User owns 3x $30 I\'ll Pump You Up cash User owns 1x $20 I\'ll Pump You Up cash

Pure-Potent-Drug Free

http://allamericanefx.com/

Certified Personal Trainer
Training and Nutrition at
www.flexfitnessandnutrition.com

"Take control and push your limits!"
rippednmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:03 AM   #8
maokoto
New Brawn

maokoto is off to a bad start

I have one, but only use it to do weighted pull-ups and chin-ups. I think it is worth having one only for that reason
Old 07-28-2009, 05:27 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by maokoto View Post
I have one, but only use it to do weighted pull-ups and chin-ups. I think it is worth having one only for that reason
I wihs I could do weighted pullups Maybe negative pullups

In all seriousness, I can't stand wearing a belt anymore. I haven't worn one in two years, even when doing max deadlift singles. I know I should, but at the time I just don't think about it.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
bwys61
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

Use a belt when training above 85% on squats, and when doing max effort on deadlift. other than that, make the erectors work
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote