Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
sneezingstardust
Max Brawn
Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor
Cool Westside!

Has anyone had good results with this program? Thoughts, loves/hates?

http://www.fortheloveofcookies.wordpress.com

-------

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them." - George Bernard Shaw

"Start wide, expand further, and never look back." -Arnold Schwarzenegger
sneezingstardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
Nobbit
Brawn
Points: 474, Level: 9 Points: 474, Level: 9 Points: 474, Level: 9
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Nobbit has made some quality postsNobbit has made some quality postsNobbit has made some quality postsNobbit has made some quality postsNobbit has made some quality postsNobbit has made some quality posts

I've trained with the Westside template for years, and I love it. Alot of variation which I need in my training program. Also if I go more than a week or 2 with out feeling max weights, my strength drops, so this program is great for me. Trained with it when I competed in PL, and now use a variation of it for my strongman training.
Nobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezingstardust View Post
Has anyone had good results with this program? Thoughts, loves/hates?
I have a powerlifting buddy who is a big, bad natural mofo and he swears by Westside. He makes my lifts look like chopped liver. He also never deadlifts and relies on good mornings primarily for deadlift stength.

I experimented with it in 2008 but I found that I needed more bench reps to maximize strength gains. I think it's a great program but you really need to be a quick learner and not be afraid to swap out pieces of the puzzle.

I think if you don't mind the constant juggling of different movements, adaptation and puzzle piece shifting (Like BWYS does so well....he is the Jedi Master), then Westside can rock.

Again, I am no expert.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
Nobbit
Brawn

Nobbit has made some quality postsNobbit has made some quality postsNobbit has made some quality postsNobbit has made some quality postsNobbit has made some quality postsNobbit has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I have a powerlifting buddy who is a big, bad natural mofo and he swears by Westside. He makes my lifts look like chopped liver. He also never deadlifts and relies on good mornings primarily for deadlift stength.

I experimented with it in 2008 but I found that I needed more bench reps to maximize strength gains. I think it's a great program but you really need to be a quick learner and not be afraid to swap out pieces of the puzzle.

I think if you don't mind the constant juggling of different movements, adaptation and puzzle piece shifting (Like BWYS does so well....he is the Jedi Master), then Westside can rock.

Again, I am no expert.
BTB, your absolutley correct. The reason I like it so much is the constant variation and "puzzle piece shifting". I need a program that I can constantly change, never doing the same thing, day to day or week to week.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
MMA Max
Max Brawn
Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

MMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributor

I have a awesome template that Gasper drew up for me, That helps me in detail with Westside. I have not started it yet however, I really want to. I am just taking a little time to let the body heal up before I smash it with something new.

" Deutscher Stolz weltweit "

Violence. It may not be the answer, But it sure cuts down on the questions!

MMA Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:47 PM   #6
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Westside has some great ideas and concepts, but is ideal for the "geared" lifter and not the best for raw lifters or beginning raw power-lifters.

Speed work aka Dynamic Effort, Week to Week Max Effort via Louie's "Conjugate" Method and specialized assistance work don't have the same effect for people who don't have a accurate representation of a one rep max, and haven't lifted one rep maxes long enough to establish a sticking point due to accommodating leverages and muscle imbalances over lack of technique.

Lifting a bar fast, if you haven't developed good stabilization and form will have little carry over in the long run and the same goes for maxing out each week with bad form.

I call this my longevity plan for those who want to be strong in powerlifting for a lifetime, however it doesn't work good for duel competitors as well. Not really for you Sneezy but for beginners I would recommend something like this and its easier just to write it here then copy and paste to the beginners forum.

I would suggest a basic 5x5 starting strength type program for the first month,Max out the 5th week, deload the 6th and do wendler's 5/3/1 for the next 1-3 months, and then based on the next 1rep max attempts until failure, where ever the final failures resided then inter-grade westside.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:49 PM   #7
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Hey guys Ill be the first to admit I am no expert. I was introduced to Westside training approximately a year and a half ago. I feel in love with it and had some great results. My biggest downfall in training is my job and Murphy's Law, yet with all these inconsistencies I still maintain respectful lifts and size . I feel that once you have an understanding of it and learn how your body reacts to it you can start to modify it to best suit oneself. BTB and BBG are both correct, it's not for everyone, try it for size and then determine if it is for yourself. Judging by Max's experience, build and current training regime, he is no stranger to muscle and joint overload. If something is not right, I'm sure he'll stop and ask someone here a question.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:49 PM   #8
Nobbit
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
Westside has some great ideas and concepts, but is ideal for the "geared" lifter and not the best for raw lifters or beginning raw power-lifters.

Speed work aka Dynamic Effort, Week to Week Max Effort via Louie's "Conjugate" Method and specialized assistance work don't have the same effect for people who don't have a accurate representation of a one rep max, and haven't lifted one rep maxes long enough to establish a sticking point due to accommodating leverages and muscle imbalances over lack of technique.

Lifting a bar fast, if you haven't developed good stabilization and form will have little carry over in the long run and the same goes for maxing out each week with bad form.

I call this my longevity plan for those who want to be strong in powerlifting for a lifetime, however it doesn't work good for duel competitors as well. Not really for you Sneezy but for beginners I would recommend something like this and its easier just to write it here then copy and paste to the beginners forum.

I would suggest a basic 5x5 starting strength type program for the first month,Max out the 5th week, deload the 6th and do wendler's 5/3/1 for the next 1-3 months, and then based on the next 1rep max attempts until failure, where ever the final failures resided then inter-grade westside.
I would agree with you on the point that the template, or program is not for beginners. Beginners would need to build more of a base and understand how to lift and the basics are best. I would disagree that it is for only equipped or geared lifters. Like any workout it's not for everyone, but if your interested give it a try. It does work. Just read up on it or find someone to show you the ins and outs of it. I've been reading, watching, listening, and going through trial and error with it for nearly ten years. And I've loved every minute of it.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:36 AM   #9
sneezingstardust
Max Brawn
Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44

sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

Thanks for the insight everyone...just trying to weigh my options.

http://www.fortheloveofcookies.wordpress.com

-------

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them." - George Bernard Shaw

"Start wide, expand further, and never look back." -Arnold Schwarzenegger
sneezingstardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:37 PM   #10
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Chaos and Pain.

You should try it, I think.
IronManlet is offline   Reply With Quote