Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Westside! (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3373)

sneezingstardust 05-26-2010 10:25 AM

Westside!
 
Has anyone had good results with this program? Thoughts, loves/hates?

Nobbit 05-26-2010 10:28 AM

I've trained with the Westside template for years, and I love it. Alot of variation which I need in my training program. Also if I go more than a week or 2 with out feeling max weights, my strength drops, so this program is great for me. Trained with it when I competed in PL, and now use a variation of it for my strongman training.

BendtheBar 05-26-2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sneezingstardust (Post 59061)
Has anyone had good results with this program? Thoughts, loves/hates?

I have a powerlifting buddy who is a big, bad natural mofo and he swears by Westside. He makes my lifts look like chopped liver. He also never deadlifts and relies on good mornings primarily for deadlift stength.

I experimented with it in 2008 but I found that I needed more bench reps to maximize strength gains. I think it's a great program but you really need to be a quick learner and not be afraid to swap out pieces of the puzzle.

I think if you don't mind the constant juggling of different movements, adaptation and puzzle piece shifting (Like BWYS does so well....he is the Jedi Master), then Westside can rock.

Again, I am no expert.

Nobbit 05-26-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 59063)
I have a powerlifting buddy who is a big, bad natural mofo and he swears by Westside. He makes my lifts look like chopped liver. He also never deadlifts and relies on good mornings primarily for deadlift stength.

I experimented with it in 2008 but I found that I needed more bench reps to maximize strength gains. I think it's a great program but you really need to be a quick learner and not be afraid to swap out pieces of the puzzle.

I think if you don't mind the constant juggling of different movements, adaptation and puzzle piece shifting (Like BWYS does so well....he is the Jedi Master), then Westside can rock.

Again, I am no expert.

BTB, your absolutley correct. The reason I like it so much is the constant variation and "puzzle piece shifting". I need a program that I can constantly change, never doing the same thing, day to day or week to week.

MMA Max 05-26-2010 11:13 AM

I have a awesome template that Gasper drew up for me, That helps me in detail with Westside. I have not started it yet however, I really want to. I am just taking a little time to let the body heal up before I smash it with something new.

Bodybygamma 05-26-2010 09:47 PM

Westside has some great ideas and concepts, but is ideal for the "geared" lifter and not the best for raw lifters or beginning raw power-lifters.

Speed work aka Dynamic Effort, Week to Week Max Effort via Louie's "Conjugate" Method and specialized assistance work don't have the same effect for people who don't have a accurate representation of a one rep max, and haven't lifted one rep maxes long enough to establish a sticking point due to accommodating leverages and muscle imbalances over lack of technique.

Lifting a bar fast, if you haven't developed good stabilization and form will have little carry over in the long run and the same goes for maxing out each week with bad form.

I call this my longevity plan for those who want to be strong in powerlifting for a lifetime, however it doesn't work good for duel competitors as well. Not really for you Sneezy but for beginners I would recommend something like this and its easier just to write it here then copy and paste to the beginners forum.

I would suggest a basic 5x5 starting strength type program for the first month,Max out the 5th week, deload the 6th and do wendler's 5/3/1 for the next 1-3 months, and then based on the next 1rep max attempts until failure, where ever the final failures resided then inter-grade westside.

gaspers04 05-26-2010 10:49 PM

Hey guys Ill be the first to admit I am no expert. I was introduced to Westside training approximately a year and a half ago. I feel in love with it and had some great results. My biggest downfall in training is my job and Murphy's Law, yet with all these inconsistencies I still maintain respectful lifts and size . I feel that once you have an understanding of it and learn how your body reacts to it you can start to modify it to best suit oneself. BTB and BBG are both correct, it's not for everyone, try it for size and then determine if it is for yourself. Judging by Max's experience, build and current training regime, he is no stranger to muscle and joint overload. If something is not right, I'm sure he'll stop and ask someone here a question.

Nobbit 05-26-2010 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bodybygamma (Post 59279)
Westside has some great ideas and concepts, but is ideal for the "geared" lifter and not the best for raw lifters or beginning raw power-lifters.

Speed work aka Dynamic Effort, Week to Week Max Effort via Louie's "Conjugate" Method and specialized assistance work don't have the same effect for people who don't have a accurate representation of a one rep max, and haven't lifted one rep maxes long enough to establish a sticking point due to accommodating leverages and muscle imbalances over lack of technique.

Lifting a bar fast, if you haven't developed good stabilization and form will have little carry over in the long run and the same goes for maxing out each week with bad form.

I call this my longevity plan for those who want to be strong in powerlifting for a lifetime, however it doesn't work good for duel competitors as well. Not really for you Sneezy but for beginners I would recommend something like this and its easier just to write it here then copy and paste to the beginners forum.

I would suggest a basic 5x5 starting strength type program for the first month,Max out the 5th week, deload the 6th and do wendler's 5/3/1 for the next 1-3 months, and then based on the next 1rep max attempts until failure, where ever the final failures resided then inter-grade westside.

I would agree with you on the point that the template, or program is not for beginners. Beginners would need to build more of a base and understand how to lift and the basics are best. I would disagree that it is for only equipped or geared lifters. Like any workout it's not for everyone, but if your interested give it a try. It does work. Just read up on it or find someone to show you the ins and outs of it. I've been reading, watching, listening, and going through trial and error with it for nearly ten years. And I've loved every minute of it.

sneezingstardust 05-27-2010 07:36 AM

Thanks for the insight everyone...just trying to weigh my options. :)

IronManlet 05-27-2010 12:37 PM

Chaos and Pain.

You should try it, I think.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.