Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
denis
New Brawn
Points: 2,408, Level: 29 Points: 2,408, Level: 29 Points: 2,408, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

denis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributor
Default Thick grip press training

Brook Kubik author of dinosaur training is a big fan of doing bench presses and other presses with a thick bar 2-3 inches.He doesn't really explain why though, he just says it makes it harder.How is this benefiting the trainer?
denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
Marc
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30

Marc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributor

It is a very different feeling but I didnt think it made it much harder.. although the fat bar at the gym I lift at is 10 pounds heavier... Sometimes I use it just for fun.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:58 AM   #3
cooltom
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

cooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributor

Using a thicker bar, or adding Fat Gripz to a normal bar, will improve your grip strength. You have to squeeze the bar very hard in order to not drop it. This extra effort recruits more muscle fibers and increases neural activity. You'll note this when your forearms swell after using them. Finally, they can also diffuse pressure in your elbows and shoulders, taking pressure off the joints. Jim Wendler compares it the difference between a woman stepping on your back wearing a high heel and a woman step on your back wearing a sneaker.

Follow my progress: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-powerful.html
cooltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:26 AM   #4
denis
New Brawn
Points: 2,408, Level: 29 Points: 2,408, Level: 29 Points: 2,408, Level: 29

denis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributordenis is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltom View Post
Using a thicker bar, or adding Fat Gripz to a normal bar, will improve your grip strength. You have to squeeze the bar very hard in order to not drop it. This extra effort recruits more muscle fibers and increases neural activity. You'll note this when your forearms swell after using them. Finally, they can also diffuse pressure in your elbows and shoulders, taking pressure off the joints. Jim Wendler compares it the difference between a woman stepping on your back wearing a high heel and a woman step on your back wearing a sneaker.
Thank you Tom.
denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
Marc
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn

Marc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltom View Post
Well Jim Wendler is speaking on a case to case basis. I do not feel that you need a death grip on a fat bar nor to I think it is very much more stress on your forearms, if any at all. Sure you grip it a little harder but that analogy used above is a little far fetched in my opinion.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:43 AM   #6
cooltom
Uber Brawn

cooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributor

I never said "death grip," but you do need to grip the bar tighter.

Also, with Wendler's quote: it's a metaphor and thus meant to be a bit hyperbolic in order to get the point across. A fat bar will diffuse the pressure on your joints so they do not take such a beating.

No more stress on the forearms, huh? Have you ever done curls with a fat bar? Even on regular movements, the fact that you need to grip the bar tighter will activate more fibers in your forearms.

And, "case by case basis"--sure, but why are you trying to qualify the quote like that? Most everything said here and elsewhere about training is not universal.

The OP wanted to know what the fat bar hoopla is, I posted to contribute to his knowledge. And you?

Last edited by cooltom; 05-22-2010 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Original post was too mean.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
Marc
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn

I gave a personal opinion rather than a bunch or crap pulled off of the internet about someone elses opinion on the matter. And no I have never done a barbell curl before, if I do curls it is with a dumbell and that is very rare. I leave the barbell curls to the bench curl warriors at the comercial gym. All I was getting at is that in my opinion it is nothing real noticable.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

i think its funny both of your mood indicators are "agressive"
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 05-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
Marc
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
i think its funny both of your mood indicators are "agressive"
Kman is right, CoolTom I am going to pass you an E-Beer.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
cooltom
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I gave a personal opinion rather than a bunch or crap pulled off of the internet about someone elses opinion on the matter. And no I have never done a barbell curl before, if I do curls it is with a dumbell and that is very rare. I leave the barbell curls to the bench curl warriors at the comercial gym. All I was getting at is that in my opinion it is nothing real noticable.
I never pulled "a bunch of crap off the internet." I speak from my own experience, having used fat bars and fat gripz. I used the Wendler metaphor, which I got from a book of his, because I think it is a clever way of putting the effects of the fat bar/gripz, effects which I have noticed in my own personal experience.

Then you call me a curl warrior and just expect me to be ok with that?

Kiss my ass.

Last edited by cooltom; 05-23-2010 at 10:31 PM.