Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member
Default Your First Strongman Competition, tips, tricks and things you should know

So you want to compete in your first Strongman Competition!

My first word of advice is find a local training crew that has some of the events you will be encountering in your first competition.

You don't want to start off like me and just compete in Strongman competitions just to play with events, it is dangerous and costly, you are better off, learning proper technique and form from those who have experience with it, although, if you can not find anyone, you should go to a local Strongman competition just to make friends and find training crews, show some support, and get an idea of the rules and implements. If your lucky the promoter might let you try the implements out after the competition.

You most likely will compete with the NAS, North American Strongman Association, Memberships for Adults is 40$ for the year, 20$ for teens, most entry fees range from 50$,60-75$*with late fees as well, 100$ for pro shows.

Here is a link to the NAS website, so you may find local competitions near you: North American Strongman, Inc. - Official Web Site - A Central Resource for Amateur Strongmen & Strongwomen

Weight Classes

If you are a beginning Lightweight there are only 2 weight classes to worry about:

Under 200lbs, 200-231lbs
Under 231lbs Men's Lightweight Open

If you are a beginning Heavyweight there are only 2 weight classes to worry about:

232lbs and over, unlimited to the Heavy Weight Men's Open Division
232lbs-265lbs,265lbs+ and over

For a Lightweight you should have at least:

200-225lbs Clean and Overhead Press
405-455lbs Deadlift

For a HeavyWeight you should have at least:

245-265lbs Clean and Overhead Press
495lbs-550lbs Deadlift

There are some more weight divisions but are parley seen outside of nationals.

Competition Levels

Silver- 1st place qualify for nationals
Gold- 1st and 2nd place qualify for nationals
Platinum- Top 3 places qualify for nationals
Platinum Plus- Competitors can earn their pro card

As a beginner, you want to look for lighter, silver level shows to get started, but will learn a lot from gold level shows as well.

When picking competitions

Try to pick shows not too far from you, travel is tiring and will take a lot out of you as most strongman contests start early. Try to pick indoor competitions over outside competitions as the seating will be closer to the events,bathrooms closer, air conditioned, most likely a hotel near by so you can come in the night before and get good rest.

Weigh ins are normally the day before the show, and day of at 9-10am, rules at 10:30am, show starts at 11am, sometimes at 12pm, pay attention to the promoter's rules. Always show up on time, or early to get good parking, an idea how the playing field is, time to warm up, eat,etc...

Most Strongman shows are outside,so try to get shaded and close parking. Bring a comfy lawn chair with shade, sunscreen,umbrella,towel, a cooler filled with liquids and easy to eat foods like peanut butter sandwiches,bananas,etc.

Check out my article whats in your gym bag for things you may need What’s In Your Gym Bag? Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding and Powerlifting.

I am pretty tired so I am asking other Strongman Competitors, to add on to this list.

Bendthebar when you get a chance could you make this a Sticky.

When this is a somewhat finished product, we should turn it into a muscle and brawn article, us competitors can provide you some contest pictures, and I think it will be good for the site.

Also When I get a chance, I want to update the pictures for my "whats in your gym bag" article, I will PM you when I get an updated picture album up.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Good stuff Tony.
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
CallmeKing
Max Brawn
Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

CallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributor

Good read BBG

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
CallmeKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Great job Tony. Can I post this as an article on the main site?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Sorry, I didn't read the bottom the first time through

Old 05-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

thanks tony, this has got some good info.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:03 PM   #7
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Just trying to help out. For sure Steve, when more information comes to me I will add more, hopefully Doc and some other guys can chime in and add to the every growing list.

Also will try and get those pictures up soon, just being swamped by my final wave of FINALS! HA.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

You da man Tony!

Old 05-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
Nobbit
Brawn
Points: 474, Level: 9 Points: 474, Level: 9 Points: 474, Level: 9
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Nobbit has made some quality postsNobbit has made some quality postsNobbit has made some quality postsNobbit has made some quality postsNobbit has made some quality postsNobbit has made some quality posts

BBG, Good overview of a strongman competition. The only change I would make is the starting weights to compete. I've seen novice contests with weights on the axle clean and press as low as 185, and deadlifts (as important as they are) only make up a small amount of contest events. As long as you have a background in heavy gym training, and prepare yourself to the best of your abilities, you should be ok. Competing (even if you bomb out on all your events) has such a huge upside to training knowledge and learning strongman that you could chalk up the $50 to a down payment on your strongman future. Don't wait until you think you can win to compete. Prepare, compete, and prepare some more. I've learned so much from competing that you can't learn in the gym. I'm working on my deads, but I still can't pull over 400 and I'm pretty competitive.
Just my opinion.
Nobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #10
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

good point.......you never know what could happen at the comp and if you wait till you think your strong enuff you could be waiting until its too late for you like.....never. even if you finish dead last you could gain valuable experience as long as you have prep'd in your training for the events.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote