Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #11
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn
Points: 4,544, Level: 42 Points: 4,544, Level: 42 Points: 4,544, Level: 42
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: ON's Pro Complex Gainer
Craig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributor

Here are some things to add to the list:

Research previous shows held by the promoter as well as write-ups of these shows.

It will give you an idea what to expect as far as timing of events and the venue. For instance, you can learn that the floor is slick or the stones are dusty or the tire was good grip. It can also alert you of promoters that have done poorly run shows so you can avoid that headache. In all honesty, if the third show I had done had been my first, I wouldn't still be doing it. Learn from others experiences.

Bring extra (cheap) clothes.

Sometimes you need a change. Some cases it rains, or it's blistering hot. Say the forecast said it would be overcast and it ends up being a sun party. No sun screen so bring out the sleeves. Don't wear something you like to keep clean. Sometimes a shirt is too sweaty. I've seen a guy tear his shirt doing atlas stones. Doubling up on shirts wouldn't hurt on some tires that cut into your shoulders.

Bring stuff for clean up.

You will get dirty whether it be tire marks, chalk, rust, tacky, your blood or someone elses blood. In fact, count on some type of injury. I'm including scrapes and torn calluses into that. Gauze pads, antibiotic cream, tape and bandages are a must. It may not be just for you as you can spare some for a fellow competitor who gets hurt. If you do atlas stones without tape (don't use duct, use athletic tape you cheapskates) you will get cuts or scrapes. Don't use WD-40 as it can infect your cuts. Use either Baby Oil or some type of Goo-Gone as they aren't toxic.

Last edited by Craig Pfisterer; 06-16-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Craig Pfisterer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #12
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Pfisterer View Post
Here are some things to add to the list:

Research previous shows held by the promoter as well as write-ups of these shows.

It will give you an idea what to expect as far as timing of events and the venue. For instance, you can learn that the floor is slick or the stones are dusty or the tire was good grip. It can also alert you of promoters that have done poorly run shows so you can avoid that headache. In all honesty, if the third show I had done had been my first, I wouldn't still be doing it. Learn from others experiences.

Bring extra (cheap) clothes.

Sometimes you need a change. Some cases it rains, or it's blistering hot. Say the forecast said it would be overcast and it ends up being a sun party. No sun screen so bring out the sleeves. Don't wear something you like to keep clean. Sometimes a shirt is too sweaty. I've seen a guy tear his shirt doing atlas stones. Doubling up on shirts wouldn't hurt on some tires that cut into your shoulders.

Bring stuff for clean up.

You will get dirty whether it be tire marks, chalk, rust, tacky, your blood or someone elses blood. In fact, count on some type of injury. I'm including scrapes and torn calluses into that. Gauze pads, antibiotic cream, tape and bandages are a must. It may not be just for you as you can spare some for a fellow competitor who gets hurt. If you do atlas stones without tape (don't use duct, use athletic tape you cheapskates) you will get cuts or scrapes. Don't use WD-40 as it can infect your cuts. Use either Baby Oil or some type of Goo-Gone as they aren't toxic.
Great addition Craig!
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #13
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn
Points: 4,544, Level: 42 Points: 4,544, Level: 42 Points: 4,544, Level: 42
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: ON's Pro Complex Gainer
Craig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributor

He's another one, Proper Hydration:

After last weekends' contest in 90 plus weather, I was glad I made sure I hydrated myself the day before. I one time I didn't rehydrate myself for a contest as a lightweight and I had a horrid performance on pretty much everything. For hot contests or recovering from a water cut you should drink plenty of water but also something that will provide sugar and salt as well. I like using diluted gatorade (like 1 part gatorade, 3 parts water) since that's easy to get around here. It needs to be diluted, especially for those recovering from a cut.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #14
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn

Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Pfisterer View Post
He's another one, Proper Hydration:

After last weekends' contest in 90 plus weather, I was glad I made sure I hydrated myself the day before. I one time I didn't rehydrate myself for a contest as a lightweight and I had a horrid performance on pretty much everything. For hot contests or recovering from a water cut you should drink plenty of water but also something that will provide sugar and salt as well. I like using diluted gatorade (like 1 part gatorade, 3 parts water) since that's easy to get around here. It needs to be diluted, especially for those recovering from a cut.
I like Gatorade propel waters the best, they go down easier than the latter.Also I found if you throw a bunch(A MEGA TON) of green tea packets into a gallon of water, it will make the water cooler; I left it in my refrigerator overnight and by morning it looked like it was coming out the freezer, and it has a nice cooling effect even as I was drinking it, my sweat would be cool.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #15
ThickLegs McDeadlift
New Brawn
Points: 262, Level: 5 Points: 262, Level: 5 Points: 262, Level: 5
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

ThickLegs McDeadlift has made some quality postsThickLegs McDeadlift has made some quality postsThickLegs McDeadlift has made some quality postsThickLegs McDeadlift has made some quality postsThickLegs McDeadlift has made some quality postsThickLegs McDeadlift has made some quality posts

Good post. Useful info all around!
ThickLegs McDeadlift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:55 AM   #16
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn

Shameless plug in and Bump

Your First Strongman Competition, Tips, Tricks and Things You Should Know Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding and Powerlifting.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Strongman training for noobs:

Strongman Training for Noobs

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Complete Guide To Strongman Training, Equipment And Competition Events

Complete Guide To Strongman Training, Equipment And Competition Events | Muscle & Strength

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote