Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
Marc
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Marc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributor
Default Weight sled I built

A member was asking about some easy do it yourself equipment. I built this sled basically to show that something can be built entirely out of everyday items that almost everyone has access too. After the fact I wish I would have done a simple strap setup for pulling the sled but the handle works well for some things too. I guess it depends on preference. It is a fairly simple design that could be switched aorund slightly to accomodate two spots for plates or even just a taller main center one.

Figured I would post up the sled I built today. Got a few hints from a picture I saw and I came up with htis:

Materials, roughly 30 dollars

Two 2x6
One 2x4
Two 1.5"x3' flat steel
Box of 3.5 inch coated deck screws
Package of 1.5" screws
One 1.5' diameter 6" Galvanized pipe
Floor Flange

Two 2x6 at 3'

I cut a 35 degree angle for mine, whatever works I guess.

Four 2x4 at 20"

2x6 at 20"

Mark your centers on two of the 2x4 peices and place your 20" 2x6 in the middle

Assemble with a second 2x6 on top of your frame.

Should look about like this

Cut your steel peices to length for the bottom of your runners for protection

Layout the holes and center punch them, doesnt have to be perfect I guess but Im picky

Drilled and countersunk to fit my chosen screws, attatch to bottom of runners.

Taped the rails to the side plates of the sled to keep them in place while pre drilling holes for the screws

Screws in place
Old 05-14-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Marc
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn

Marc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributor

Center up the Flange and screw it in. I also added another 20" 2x6 underneath the center frame to support the side plates but probably isnt necesary.

Ok so now comes my chosen rigging and handle setup. I spent a ridiculous 52 dollars on this junk, half of which I could have probably found in my garage but again Im very picky and I wanted this to look decent and everything match.

Two 1" coupler
Two 1" by 6" pipe
Two 1" floor flanges
Tape
Four 1/4x20 bolts, one is about an inch longer than the others, youll see why below
Four 1/4x20 nylon lock nuts
Eight 1/4" washers
Four slightly larger diameter washers, same 1/4 ID
Two sections of 10' chain, I chose some chrome 820lb load bearing, way overkill but hey it looks tough right?
Two master links
Two big I bolts with 2 nuts, 2 washers, 2 lock washers per I bolt.

Materials for the Handle.

Bolts and nuts for assembly of handle.

Something like this

I threw in some nylon spacers I had laying around just to space the chain out and make everything line up perfect, not necesary at all I guess.

I wrapped my handles in tape, the end caps are the 1" couplers which I really only added so that when you drop the handle on pavement it doesnt get all messed up.

Handle done

layout and drill the holes for the Ibolts. I chose to use two load points because I used wood for the construction of the sled. I didnt want all of the force placed on one bolt and one point on the 2x4. Probably wouldnt have mattered but hey, piece of mind right.

Self explanetary, nut, lock washer, washer, then same on other side.. Obviously measureing top of I bolt to the 2x4 to ensure they are both the same so you have even pull.

I bolts installed

Connect chain sections to your I bolts with the master links, i had to use 4 master links total since the small ones wont go over the I bolt and the big ones wont go through my chain so I had use 2 on each side like a reducer.

Done staining

Always nice to step back and admire a finished project while enjoying a yummy protein shake... Wish it was a Heineken..

Not sure why I included a step by step as Im sure there are alot of home made sleds that far surpass mine but I just figured I would throw the specs in. Maybe someone will think its cool and make one someday.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
nighttrain
Max Brawn
Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68

Training Exp: 20+
nighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beast

gr8 job Marc, it is a very cool sled!
Old 05-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Looks sweet. I built a low box for box squatting out of plywood, though my project wasn't as polished

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
MMA Max
Max Brawn
Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

MMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributor

You should market those man, I would buy one!

" Deutscher Stolz weltweit "

Violence. It may not be the answer, But it sure cuts down on the questions!

MMA Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
Marc
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA Max View Post
You should market those man, I would buy one!
Elite FTS Makes one for a good price that could be had for only 50 bucks more than it costs to make this thing and ship it, so Im thinking there wouldnt be much of a market haha It was pretty time consuming too but for someone who has some materials laying around and what not its a fun weekend project.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I bought a new sled off Ebay a few years back and I think it was about $80 shipped, though I may be a bit off. This was a custom job, and I don't see any currently on Ebay.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
Marc
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn

Yea If I had a welder I would be all up for building and shipping sleds for like 75 bucks. Its really so somple to make the steel ones that I couldn't see charging any more than that. Another thing I would like to build would be the Prowlers. A friend of mine who owns the gym I train at just bought the Elite FTS E.Prowler and that thing is sweet.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:40 PM   #9
onetiredkris
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

sweet sled!!! pass the heinekens, and lets pull that 'ish around

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:17 PM   #10
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

that sled is awesome i may build one this weekend.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote