Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   If you want to be a powerlifter (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3264)

knudci 05-14-2010 10:10 AM

If you want to be a powerlifter

If you want to be a powerlifter should you train like a bodybuilder for a while or doing something else to get strong right away?

ricka182 05-14-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knudci (Post 56153)
If you want to be a powerlifter should you train like a bodybuilder for a while or doing something else to get strong right away?

I'm no expert, but I say train for what you want to do. If you want to be strong, train to be strong. Most powerlifters aren't the most sculpted examples of their work...but they can probably bench the top 10 bodybuilders with ease.. BB'ers on the other hand only need to look good. Not saying they are weak, but I'd put my money on a powerlifter anyday to outpress most BB'ers...

Marc 05-14-2010 11:46 AM

I wouldnt start off with bodybuilding type training. I did this, not exactly but for the most part. Ended up having to re-learn how to bench and squat and everything else once I started on a powerlifting program with some guys who really coached me and showed me proper form, technique etc for powerlifting.

BendtheBar 05-14-2010 02:38 PM

I would stick with core basic exercises, but would stick in rep ranges 5+ until you build up some strength.

jslep 05-14-2010 03:13 PM

if by train like a bodybuilder you mean isolation movements mostly this is not the route i would go for powerlifting strength. i would do something like big 3 with assistance iso's after doing them. never do the iso's first only after a complete compound for the day has been done. either bench dead or squat.

Marc 05-14-2010 04:03 PM

The hardest thing for me was going from benching with my feet on the bench using a smith machine, to a power rack and learning proper tuck, foot placement, etc. I'd go with what BTB and the rest said, you can always do your technique work as well either as a warm up or on the side so that when you go into an actual PL program you really are familiar with the motions, movements and positions etc. Then you will have a strength base built up as well so when you go adding weight and starting a powerlifting workout, you should progress nicely. I did alot of this with just the bar and it helps tremendously especially if you have someone to guide you and correct you at first. I kind of learned it all at once though because like I said, I was a self taught gym idiot for the first 2 or 3 months of serious lifting. I relearned a new way of doing literally everything I had been doing which defenitely isnt the way to go, I defenitely felt like I had wasted alot of time. If you are going to do bench, do it with PL form right from the start even if it isnt heavy etc. I was taught that no matter what the weight you are using even if its just bar for warm up reps, act as though its got weight, bring it down slow and explode from the chest as though you are lifting weight. This keeps your form and keeps you tight the entire time so you are doing the exact same motion every time until it becomes second nature. Basic strength training with some PL technique work I think would get you going on the right path. I suppose there are a ton of different ways to go about it though. Some of the more experienced guys, feel free to correct me here as I am just kind of relaying what I was taught, and what really worked for me as well as some things I wish I would have done in the first place. I am still relatively new to all of this as well.

kman025 05-14-2010 04:04 PM

starting strength for the win!

MMA Max 05-14-2010 04:16 PM

How about this ( I learned this from OTk) just lift god damn weights lol... Be strong all the time..Eat, Lift, Eat, Lift till your eyes bleed..

That fool is stronger then most of these So called Power lifters and he just body builds and eats.

IronManlet 05-14-2010 05:19 PM

Starting Strength/5x5 programs are a great way to start off.

But all you've gotta do is train for strength (and EAT) if that's what you're after.

If you want to look good on a stage with bright lights as you prance in a man-thong, bodybuild.

BendtheBar 05-14-2010 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMA Max (Post 56232)
That fool is stronger then most of these So called Power lifters and he just body builds and eats.

Ouch..."so called."