Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ghetto workout gear... (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3257)

Mombow111 05-13-2010 07:03 PM

Ghetto workout gear...

So, I can't persuade my parents into letting me buy a barbell and weights over the summer (no room in the house/convinced I can't keep them outside without them them rusting) and the nearest half decent gym is a good ride away from me so I won't be able to go on a daily basis. So I was looking around for options of improvised diy equipment and I found some stuff on Atlas Stones and what-not. I was wondering what some of the other home-made alternatives are, how much time/effort they are to build and what your thoughts/advice on them are.

kman025 05-13-2010 07:27 PM

sand bag!!!! its like 5 bucks to make... also a pull up bar.

Mombow111 05-13-2010 07:32 PM

I was considering erecting an entire dip/pullup station (given my carpentry skillz hold), would it be more effective to just go for rings? Also, what type of sandbag do ya use?

kman025 05-13-2010 07:34 PM

to make my sand bag this is all i did... bought a 50 lb back of sand.... duck taped all the holes and open cuts... put a few old pillow cases over it... duck taped the hell out of it.

jslep 05-13-2010 07:42 PM

find a free large tractor/heavy equipment tire for flips

get a 20lb hammer and and old mud truck tire and pound it

if you have a deck of height you hang various handles off the bottom for pullups

wheel barrow full of any thing heavy and make a course

find a big ass log in the woods and modify some handles into it and do push presses

fill buckes with quickcrete to do various lifts

CoopDawg 05-13-2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jslep (Post 56064)
find a free large tractor/heavy equipment tire for flips

get a 20lb hammer and and old mud truck tire and pound it

if you have a deck of height you hang various handles off the bottom for pullups

wheel barrow full of any thing heavy and make a course

find a big ass log in the woods and modify some handles into it and do push presses

fill buckes with quickcrete to do various lifts

the ole sledge hammer on the tractor tire will make the whole upper body sore

Mombow111 05-13-2010 08:06 PM

Tanks Jslep and Kman, what do you guys feel about kegs for training btw? (yes, feel free to poke fun)

nighttrain 05-13-2010 08:09 PM

dude kegs if you can get one, is the BOMB.... i have down clean and presses with a keg with water in it........ Fock me running, that aint no joke!!!

jslep 05-13-2010 09:46 PM

keg would be awesome. and i don't see why we would poke fun.....you are doin what you gotta do to train that is extremely commendable.

cooltom 05-13-2010 10:06 PM

Check out the thread kman started about oly lifting bumper plates. I posted several links about how to make bumper plates from old tires and there are lots of other directions on those sites about making equipment.