Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Thumbless squat grip (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3250)

Smirkules 05-13-2010 08:39 AM

Thumbless squat grip

Anyone use a thumbless squat grip? I saw this in a video and wondered why they do it?

bas781 05-13-2010 03:10 PM

I know Rippetoe recommends a thumbless grip while low bar squatting.

It makes it easier to dump the weight if necessary and it achieves that nice straight wrist angle when doing heavy low bar back squats.

I still have shoulder flexibility issues to work through so my wrists still aren't straight but I noticed that still going thumbless seems to ease the wrist/elbow pain from the load.

Kyle Aaron 05-13-2010 11:01 PM

I find it's good for people who have a tendency to try to support the bar's weight by a shoulder press, instead of simply holding it there and squatting. The round-bar grip lets them do that, the thumbless forces them to push the bar forward, push their shoulders back, chest up - and just squat.

However, they need good shoulder flexibility for this.

It's not for everyone, but good for some.

CallmeKing 05-13-2010 11:07 PM

Never been a fan of it but, I can see the benefits of it for some people.

Trevor Lane 05-14-2010 05:14 AM

A must for me on front squats as I pinch the **** out of my thumbs... don't really notice it on back squats.

BendtheBar 05-14-2010 09:49 AM

I have shoulder issues and stick with a very wide grip. I don't think I could go thumbless. Never tried thumbless on narrow grip either.

Marc 05-14-2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas781 (Post 55969)
I know Rippetoe recommends a thumbless grip while low bar squatting.

It makes it easier to dump the weight if necessary and it achieves that nice straight wrist angle when doing heavy low bar back squats.

I still have shoulder flexibility issues to work through so my wrists still aren't straight but I noticed that still going thumbless seems to ease the wrist/elbow pain from the load.

I am the same, I do ROM exersizes with bands twice a day to improve my shoulder flexibility and range of motion, as I am extremely tight as it is even with wrists pretty bent holding the bar. The thumbless grip is something I might like to work into however, Thanks OP, I had never really looked much into this.

bas781 05-14-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc (Post 56182)
I am the same, I do ROM exersizes with bands twice a day to improve my shoulder flexibility and range of motion, as I am extremely tight as it is even with wrists pretty bent holding the bar. The thumbless grip is something I might like to work into however, Thanks OP, I had never really looked much into this.

Bands are good stuff. My lifting partner/roommate and I both do a lot of shoulder dislocations pre-workout as well, whether we strict press or not. Seems to be helping with the shoulder position squatting as well, though he still has the bent wrist issue too from tight shoulders.

Had a good lifting day today, we're both still on linear progression.

I just ate 6 eggs and a Nathan's famous hot dog for breakfast, life is good.

Marc 05-14-2010 02:02 PM

Bas781, not to change the subject but what in the world kind of tire is that? Is it from a semi? Just curious, it looks short but it looks like it also has a rim inside too?

bas781 05-17-2010 10:33 AM

Yea, I think it was a semi tire with at least part of the rim intact to give it some weight. That was at Crossfit Outer Banks in Nags Head, NC. Which, if you're ever out there I highly recommend visiting as they're more of a power-lifting, oly lifting, & strength training oriented crossfit affiliate with a really fun area outside in the back full of atlas stones, tractor tires, etc. for a couple of their members that are competing strongmen. Really cool gym.