Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   PLing Meet (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3194)

IronManlet 05-08-2010 08:27 PM

PLing Meet

Hey guys! I had a quick question:

I'm 18, been on a 5x5 for 5 months with no prior training. 148lbs @ 5'7", Bench: 165x5, Squat: 250x3, and Deadlift: 325x3.

Now, I was originally planning on competing at my first meet next year when I have a bit more experience, but I was advised to go and compete asap to get some experience. There's a raw nationals meet in Toronto on June 12th; teens lift free, and I don't think there is a qualifying total.

I'm just not sure if it's enough time to get ready. I don't know my ORM's, and I have no clue how to prepare or what to do at a meet or anything, really.

So any advice you guys could give me on the subject would be awesome. Should I compete? If so, how should I prepare?

Thanks in advance. :)

CallmeKing 05-08-2010 08:33 PM

I've never competed but, I think it's enough time especially if you just want the meet experience.

Some more experienced PL'ers here will be able to help more than I.

kman025 05-08-2010 08:35 PM

just test your 1rm man.... its not like elite geared lifter who would be fried after maxing for a long time.

IronManlet 05-08-2010 08:43 PM

Here's the link: CPF - Pro & Amateur Raw National Championships | Powerlifting Watch

I post it because it says something about CPF and APF card holders. Does that mean I don't qualify unless I'm a card holder as well?

BendtheBar 05-08-2010 08:55 PM

I think you should compete. You'll place better then you expect, and you'll learn a lot. I would keep hitting the weights hard until about a week or 5 days before the show. You could structure some sort of a periodized cycle, but I;m not sure if that will help much with a month left compared to plain old hard training.

IronManlet 05-08-2010 08:56 PM

Just found out that since I'm 18, the entry fee will be $75...

IronManlet 05-08-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 54859)
I think you should compete. You'll place better then you expect, and you'll learn a lot. I would keep hitting the weights hard until about a week or 5 days before the show. You could structure some sort of a periodized cycle, but I;m not sure if that will help much with a month left compared to plain old hard training.

It says something about card holders; I'm not a member of the CPF or APF. Does that mean I can't compete?

steroidboy10000 05-08-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronManlet (Post 54851)
Hey guys! I had a quick question:

I'm 18, been on a 5x5 for 5 months with no prior training. 148lbs @ 5'7", Bench: 165x5, Squat: 250x3, and Deadlift: 325x3.

Now, I was originally planning on competing at my first meet next year when I have a bit more experience, but I was advised to go and compete asap to get some experience. There's a raw nationals meet in Toronto on June 12th; teens lift free, and I don't think there is a qualifying total.

I'm just not sure if it's enough time to get ready. I don't know my ORM's, and I have no clue how to prepare or what to do at a meet or anything, really.

So any advice you guys could give me on the subject would be awesome. Should I compete? If so, how should I prepare?

Thanks in advance. :)

1. Find your 1rm for your lifts asap
2. Check the rules for the federation you're competing in.
specifically check for commands and what gear they allow knee sleeves, wrist wraps, ect.
3. Most people take the week off before the meet..I do the same
4. You're openers should be something you can rep 3-4 times, second attempts should be in you're 1-2 rep range, 3rd attempt...Go for broke.

BendtheBar 05-08-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronManlet (Post 54861)
It says something about card holders; I'm not a member of the CPF or APF. Does that mean I can't compete?

Getting a card should be easy. I would email one of these guys and inquire, or visit their site:

Membership Fee
There are no membership fees for the CPF.

Contact Information
Bruce McIntyre
519 880 1636 519 880 1636
Email: Brucemcintyre@sympatico.ca

Clint Harwood
Email: Clint_harwood@rogers.com

Ross Saldan
Email: Bigbench@comcast.net

Cheryl McKenzie
Email: Bigbencher@comcast.net

David Gratton
Email: David_gratton@yahoo.com

Shane Church
Email: Shane.d.church@gmail.com

CPF Website

IronManlet 05-08-2010 09:18 PM

All right:

From what I can tell, I don't have to have a singlet in order to compete because it's my first meet; but I still need to e-mail to find out about the card thing.

Thanks for the advice! I think if it all works out I'll be posting about my newest meet soon. :D