Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast
Default PLing Meet

Hey guys! I had a quick question:

I'm 18, been on a 5x5 for 5 months with no prior training. 148lbs @ 5'7", Bench: 165x5, Squat: 250x3, and Deadlift: 325x3.

Now, I was originally planning on competing at my first meet next year when I have a bit more experience, but I was advised to go and compete asap to get some experience. There's a raw nationals meet in Toronto on June 12th; teens lift free, and I don't think there is a qualifying total.

I'm just not sure if it's enough time to get ready. I don't know my ORM's, and I have no clue how to prepare or what to do at a meet or anything, really.

So any advice you guys could give me on the subject would be awesome. Should I compete? If so, how should I prepare?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
CallmeKing
Max Brawn
Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

CallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributor

I've never competed but, I think it's enough time especially if you just want the meet experience.

Some more experienced PL'ers here will be able to help more than I.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
CallmeKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

just test your 1rm man.... its not like elite geared lifter who would be fried after maxing for a long time.
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 05-08-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn

IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Here's the link: CPF - Pro & Amateur Raw National Championships | Powerlifting Watch

I post it because it says something about CPF and APF card holders. Does that mean I don't qualify unless I'm a card holder as well?
Old 05-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I think you should compete. You'll place better then you expect, and you'll learn a lot. I would keep hitting the weights hard until about a week or 5 days before the show. You could structure some sort of a periodized cycle, but I;m not sure if that will help much with a month left compared to plain old hard training.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn

Just found out that since I'm 18, the entry fee will be $75...
Old 05-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #7
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I think you should compete. You'll place better then you expect, and you'll learn a lot. I would keep hitting the weights hard until about a week or 5 days before the show. You could structure some sort of a periodized cycle, but I;m not sure if that will help much with a month left compared to plain old hard training.
It says something about card holders; I'm not a member of the CPF or APF. Does that mean I can't compete?
Old 05-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #8
steroidboy10000
Supplement Free!
New Brawn
Points: 978, Level: 16 Points: 978, Level: 16 Points: 978, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

steroidboy10000 is new to the forumsteroidboy10000 is new to the forumsteroidboy10000 is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManlet View Post
Hey guys! I had a quick question:

I'm 18, been on a 5x5 for 5 months with no prior training. 148lbs @ 5'7", Bench: 165x5, Squat: 250x3, and Deadlift: 325x3.

Now, I was originally planning on competing at my first meet next year when I have a bit more experience, but I was advised to go and compete asap to get some experience. There's a raw nationals meet in Toronto on June 12th; teens lift free, and I don't think there is a qualifying total.

I'm just not sure if it's enough time to get ready. I don't know my ORM's, and I have no clue how to prepare or what to do at a meet or anything, really.

So any advice you guys could give me on the subject would be awesome. Should I compete? If so, how should I prepare?

Thanks in advance.
1. Find your 1rm for your lifts asap
2. Check the rules for the federation you're competing in.
specifically check for commands and what gear they allow knee sleeves, wrist wraps, ect.
3. Most people take the week off before the meet..I do the same
4. You're openers should be something you can rep 3-4 times, second attempts should be in you're 1-2 rep range, 3rd attempt...Go for broke.

1000Lb Club
steroidboy10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManlet View Post
It says something about card holders; I'm not a member of the CPF or APF. Does that mean I can't compete?
Getting a card should be easy. I would email one of these guys and inquire, or visit their site:

Membership Fee
There are no membership fees for the CPF.

Contact Information
Bruce McIntyre
519 880 1636 519 880 1636
Email: Brucemcintyre@sympatico.ca

Clint Harwood
Email: Clint_harwood@rogers.com

Ross Saldan
Email: Bigbench@comcast.net

Cheryl McKenzie
Email: Bigbencher@comcast.net

David Gratton
Email: David_gratton@yahoo.com

Shane Church
Email: Shane.d.church@gmail.com

CPF Website

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn

All right:

From what I can tell, I don't have to have a singlet in order to compete because it's my first meet; but I still need to e-mail to find out about the card thing.

Thanks for the advice! I think if it all works out I'll be posting about my newest meet soon.