Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast
Default Aspiring Powerlifter

Just the other day I had an epiphany, of sorts. haha

I want to compete in powerlifting. I don't care if my lifts suck right now, this is what I want to do! Realistically, I expect myself to end up in the 165lb class for my near-future meets; I'd like to try simply building strength at a certain weight. All the cutting/bulking makes my head spin.

I'm not entirely sure how far I'd get in powerlifting (breaking a record would be a dream for me), but I'm sure as hell willing to find out! If there's one thing I am, it's bloody stubborn.

Current lifts: (I'm not entirely sure about my ORM; will be testing them in a few weeks.)

Bench: 165x5
Squat: 250x3
Deadlift: 325x3

I'm not super experienced, as I've only been training for 5 months; but I'm going to start a new program next week that I'm sure will help me improve. Especially on that Bench...

I had a question about my first meet: I know a lot of people will tell you to just go out there and do your best, since your first meet is just that; your first. However, I would also like to place well in my first one if at all possible. I think I'd be competing in Ontario Powerlifting federations, since that's where I live.

So what would you say would be a respectable number range to try and hit at my first meet if I was around 165lbs in weight? I would like to be competing raw, in a drug-free competition.

So yeah...that's the skinny on me! I'm really excited to be a part of all this. Who knows? Maybe I'll set a record some day.

And thanks to everyone who runs this site! It's got a lot of useful information, and everyone's really supportive here as well. Can't believe I never found it before.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
cooltom
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

cooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributor

Congrats on deciding to do a meet. My first will be at the end of June. As far as a "respectable total," don't worry about it. You don't want to have some number in your head that you must have before you are "allowed" to compete. I'm assuming your young and so if you compete against others your age, and thus likely to have similar experience to you, you will have a chance to be competitive. The experience will probably be worth it not because of the total, but because of what you will learn at the competition.

Once more, I haven't competed yet, but I look forward to it as an opportunity to learn more about lifting and to meet some new people (especially those that can help me). As far as my total, I'm keeping my goal very modest.

Follow my progress: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-powerful.html
cooltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn

IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltom View Post
Congrats on deciding to do a meet. My first will be at the end of June. As far as a "respectable total," don't worry about it. You don't want to have some number in your head that you must have before you are "allowed" to compete. I'm assuming your young and so if you compete against others your age, and thus likely to have similar experience to you, you will have a chance to be competitive. The experience will probably be worth it not because of the total, but because of what you will learn at the competition.

Once more, I haven't competed yet, but I look forward to it as an opportunity to learn more about lifting and to meet some new people (especially those that can help me). As far as my total, I'm keeping my goal very modest.
I see what you're saying; it's true, you can compete at any number.

Yes, I'm a pretty young lifter. (Newly 18) I think I can use this to my advantage, since I'll be making a lot of newb gains for the rest of the year that I can put to good use.

I'm aiming to try my hand at my first meet sometime next year, if possible. I have no idea what my total will be; I don't really have a specific target one in mind.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
cooltom
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

cooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributor

Well, at your age, and if you are not competing until next year, your lifts will probably dramatically increase by the time you reach the platform. Some of the younger guys on this site have made mind-blowing gains because they consistently work hard. I'm sure you will do the same.

Follow my progress: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-powerful.html
cooltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Congrats on your decision to compete. Make your first lift something you can nail easy, that's about all I know

Here are some state raw records:

State Records

The "record" total for 165 in Alabama is 1045.
The "record" total for 165 in Georgia is 1165.

I would say anything over 800 (which is where you are) stands a good chance of placing high in a meet. You'll place much better then you expect. Depending on the competition, you could even take 1st.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Congrats on your decision to compete. Make your first lift something you can nail easy, that's about all I know

Here are some state raw records:

State Records

The "record" total for 165 in Alabama is 1045.
The "record" total for 165 in Georgia is 1165.

I would say anything over 800 (which is where you are) stands a good chance of placing high in a meet. You'll place much better then you expect. Depending on the competition, you could even take 1st.
Thanks for the link! Good to know what kind of things I can expect to be up against.

I'd probably be ecstatic for weeks if I took 1st place. haha

Btw, what kind of weight-jumps do you think is optimal for your lifts in a meet? Also, is there somewhere I can find a warm-up template for meet lifts or something? Not entirely sure how to warm-up for meet attempts.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
bwys61
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

your openers should be your last "heavy" warm-up that you normally would do for 3 reps in training. Be very careful with the bench press, as pausing raw and with a shirt are very two different feelings.

have records in mind to break on your second attempt(usually 5 or 10 lbs better than your PR).

Good luck. Remember to deload a week and a half out, and rest at least for 5 days going into the meet

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManlet View Post
Just the other day I had an epiphany, of sorts. haha

I want to compete in powerlifting. I don't care if my lifts suck right now, this is what I want to do! Realistically, I expect myself to end up in the 165lb class for my near-future meets; I'd like to try simply building strength at a certain weight. All the cutting/bulking makes my head spin.

I'm not entirely sure how far I'd get in powerlifting (breaking a record would be a dream for me), but I'm sure as hell willing to find out! If there's one thing I am, it's bloody stubborn.

Current lifts: (I'm not entirely sure about my ORM; will be testing them in a few weeks.)

Bench: 165x5
Squat: 250x3
Deadlift: 325x3

I'm not super experienced, as I've only been training for 5 months; but I'm going to start a new program next week that I'm sure will help me improve. Especially on that Bench...

I had a question about my first meet: I know a lot of people will tell you to just go out there and do your best, since your first meet is just that; your first. However, I would also like to place well in my first one if at all possible. I think I'd be competing in Ontario Powerlifting federations, since that's where I live.

So what would you say would be a respectable number range to try and hit at my first meet if I was around 165lbs in weight? I would like to be competing raw, in a drug-free competition.

So yeah...that's the skinny on me! I'm really excited to be a part of all this. Who knows? Maybe I'll set a record some day.

And thanks to everyone who runs this site! It's got a lot of useful information, and everyone's really supportive here as well. Can't believe I never found it before.
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwys61 View Post
your openers should be your last "heavy" warm-up that you normally would do for 3 reps in training. Be very careful with the bench press, as pausing raw and with a shirt are very two different feelings.

have records in mind to break on your second attempt(usually 5 or 10 lbs better than your PR).

Good luck. Remember to deload a week and a half out, and rest at least for 5 days going into the meet
Thanks a lot for the advice.