Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor
Default best bench and deadlift tips

I would like to know you guys tips and techniques on the bench press and and deadlift. Such as the best ways to keep from hurting the back in the deadlift, and The best form to hit the bench press. Thanks ahead of time i know i will get some good answers.
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I'll get you started with some videos. Watch these and let me know when you're done. Then I'll give you my basic setup spiel...

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/pow...on-videos.html

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/pow...s.html#post525

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/pow...s.html#post627

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

DL- sit your ass down. keep your head up. start the pull lifting with legs and back simletaneously(sp). keep abs tight, if wearing a belt push against it. PULL THAT ****ER UP YOUR LEGS! (most imortant thing IMO, it will keep form good). Once you get it up over your knees, shoot your hips through and lock it out.

Bench- mine sucks!, but this is what helps it not suck as much.... set up- get your feet planted. get an arch. push your upper back into the bench. unrack the weight and keep everything tight. grip the **** out of the bar and try to "pull the bar apart" to activate back. drive your heels into te ground, it will activate all the stableizers and get leg drive going. think of pushing yourself into the bench (really pushing the bar up).
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 05-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
DocColossus
Captain, Team 50'
Max Brawn
Points: 12,762, Level: 73 Points: 12,762, Level: 73 Points: 12,762, Level: 73

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Hammer Low Pull
Fav Supp: Jack3d, Yok3d, ModernBCAA
DocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machine

Single best advice for the dead lift: don't do it yet! In my opinion you're not ready for such a lift, it takes its toll and should be practiced by experienced lifters. What you can do is watch Steve's videos, grab a broomstick handle and practice with that! This combined with proper stretching and foam rolling will have your body physically ready for the challenge of such a compound movement when the time comes to o it.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

I concur with Doc. Build the muscles, learn the mechanics of the deadlift first. Bad form in the beginning can side line you for a long a$$ time.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspers04 View Post
I concur with Doc. Build the muscles, learn the mechanics of the deadlift first. Bad form in the beginning can side line you for a long a$$ time.
some how i'm avoiding this... my forms not that good, used to be even worse. also i've been DLing much less than a year (started in early december-ish). I'm sure its not the best thing to go from not DLing to DLing 400+ in that time
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 05-06-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I'll get you started with some videos. Watch these and let me know when you're done. Then I'll give you my basic setup spiel...

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/pow...on-videos.html

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/pow...s.html#post525

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/pow...s.html#post627
i watched bro very interesting
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:06 PM   #8
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

I'm not speaking for Doc, Nothing is injury free and I do know that, but all that is meant is learn the correct form, build some stabilizer muscles from accessory lifts, ask questions and get some qualified input. I feel that if you overload what your body can handle combined with bad form and a lil' ego you can be in for a long haul on the road to recovery. Learn the basics, know your limits and you'll have a better chance a successful lifting future.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

Thanks guys
Old 05-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

How much did you deadlift on your first workout? I would start with 135.

Get your feet halfway under the bad (from a side view, not looking down). With your butt slightly up, bend down and grab the bar. You can have your toes pointed slightly out, but really no more then a 45 degree angle.

Now, sink you butt until your shins touch the bar. Lock your arms (very important), tighten your traps and back, and thrust out your chest, and stand up with the bar.

Don't pull the bar up, stand up with the bar. Pulling on the bar will often cause you to jerk your arms and raise your hips.

Just get into position and stand up.

You want your back to remain pretty much in the same position throughout the entire lift.

And whatever you do, don't think about pushing with the legs. The deadlift is NOT a leg press.

I hope this helps.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote