Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
sneezingstardust
Max Brawn

sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor
Default Another silly deadlift question!

I could start a novel with these

So, when you guys are building up strength for deadlifts...do you think it's more beneficial to deadlift every week, or to alternate deadlifts with rack pulls?
sneezingstardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezingstardust View Post
I could start a novel with these

So, when you guys are building up strength for deadlifts...do you think it's more beneficial to deadlift every week, or to alternate deadlifts with rack pulls?
Some find rack pulls to be limited in their carry over for deads. And for some, deadlifting every week might not be the best way to go. I have a buddy that uses Westside and he rarely deadlifts...he trains good mornings and box squats primarily for his deadlift.

I think you can go either way depending on your body, but if you can get away with deadlifting less, then I would do it. I don't want this to sound like an anti-deadlift post. It's just that some people don't handle frequent heavy deadlifting as well as others.

Maybe you could try deadlifts one week, and wide stance good mornings, front squats and zerchers the next...or something like this. You could also add in speed work on "off" weeks where you aren't lifting heavy.

I've actually been thinking about deadlifting less myself, and having a day where I do:

Good Mornings
Speed Deadlifts
Front Squats
RDLs
Heavy abs

Anyway. I'm sure there are many other creative ways to crack this egg, so to speak.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
sneezingstardust
Max Brawn

sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Some find rack pulls to be limited in their carry over for deads. And for some, deadlifting every week might not be the best way to go. I have a buddy that uses Westside and he rarely deadlifts...he trains good mornings and box squats primarily for his deadlift.

I think you can go either way depending on your body, but if you can get away with deadlifting less, then I would do it. I don't want this to sound like an anti-deadlift post. It's just that some people don't handle frequent heavy deadlifting as well as others.

Maybe you could try deadlifts one week, and wide stance good mornings, front squats and zerchers the next...or something like this. You could also add in speed work on "off" weeks where you aren't lifting heavy.

I've actually been thinking about deadlifting less myself, and having a day where I do:

Good Mornings
Speed Deadlifts
Front Squats
RDLs
Heavy abs

Anyway. I'm sure there are many other creative ways to crack this egg, so to speak.
I haven't done good mornings in awhile, they seem to be really uncomfortable for my back, but that's just a preference. I always feel like the bar is going to roll forward onto my neck, haha. (even though I know it won't). Mental block, I guess. I may start doing them more in the future, we'll see.

I'm just looking for some new ideas.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Were you doing the powerlifting style good mornings? I don't get near to parallel on them.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

I'm going to look it up, so don't answer for me...but all I'm thinking is..What the hell is a Good Morning? I've heard, and I think I know..but I want to be sure..

As for the original question...I'm still a newb to DLs, and only do them once a week for now, using heavy as possible.. I was thinking of doing them with light weights 2x a week, but I want better core strength, and I figure 6-8 weeks of heavy ass DLs should help, at least for now..

EDIT: Just checked Wiki and ExRx...GMs look tough, and I don't think I have the room to do them in my micro-gym...but I will try with a real light weight just to get form and rom figured out...

Last edited by ricka182; 04-28-2010 at 12:54 PM.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
sneezingstardust
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Were you doing the powerlifting style good mornings? I don't get near to parallel on them.
I guess not then. I was going to parallel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricka182 View Post
I'm going to look it up, so don't answer for me...but all I'm thinking is..What the hell is a Good Morning? I've heard, and I think I know..but I want to be sure..

As for the original question...I'm still a newb to DLs, and only do them once a week for now, using heavy as possible.. I was thinking of doing them with light weights 2x a week, but I want better core strength, and I figure 6-8 weeks of heavy ass DLs should help, at least for now..

EDIT: Just checked Wiki and ExRx...GMs look tough, and I don't think I have the room to do them in my micro-gym...but I will try with a real light weight just to get form and rom figured out...
I may do rack pulls this week, for the main reason that my glutes/hammies are still sore from Monday, and I'm training hammies again on Friday...just to sort of rest it up, hit my upper back hard, and then go back to deadlifts next week.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricka182 View Post
We are starting to add exercises to our exercise section:

Exercises Bodybuilding and Powerlifting - Muscle and Brawn - Bodybuilding and Powerlifting

MAB's Good Mornings page is here:

Good Mornings Exercise Instruction and Video - Muscle and Brawn - Bodybuilding and Powerlifting

...I know you already checked out good mornings, but I wanted to bring it up for future reference.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #8
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

I found personally that once i reached about 280 or so i cant deadlift on a regular basis and hit anywhere near my max. but Cleans make for a great crossover for me, plus you get a lot of speed work with them

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

i agree with Grim's point.

i used to DL twice or even three times a week.... i could never do that now.

once i hit 315 or so, i couldnt do this at all.

I also agree with BTB. I squat 3-4(occasionally more) times a week. I can do this with no problem, but i cant DL more than once a week. If i DL once my back is ****ed up and it messes with my squatting. therefore i only DL once every two weeks real heavy.

I would DL one week and rack pull the next like you said. another thing i'm trying now (just started) is using band. I think sense it gets rid of the weight at the bottom it makes it less taxign.... not sure if true, but going to try it out.

basically if your assistance work and squats go up, your DL will tag along IMO
Old 04-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I really walk the fine line with deadlifts. Once a week is butter, but too much lower back work on top of that and I'm bent over for a week.